Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Default Gay

While on our last cruise, we were seated at dinner with 2 gay men. We really liked them and found them to be excellant tablemates. However, due to the fact they liked to kiss during dinner (couple times), we drew a lot of attention from other tables. Some of the people at other tables stared with disgusted looks. I even had to tell one "redneck" to stop giving our table the evil eye! Its a shame we still have so many bigots in this time of enlightenment!
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2002, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Gay

I'm not touching this post with a ten foot pole!
Old March 5th, 2002, 01:41 AM
cathy p

me neither. not with a 20 ft. pole.
Old March 5th, 2002, 07:26 AM
gogetter

Hello,

But you both just did touch it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old March 5th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Marnie

If they were 2 lesbians, what do you think the reaction by others in the restaurant would have been?
Old March 5th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Admiral

If Lesbians....The others in the Dining Room (especially men) would have been more tolerant. In defense....many in the dining room paid no attention to it.
Old March 5th, 2002, 12:51 PM
Admiral

They could be two of anything! Two people kissing each other at the dinner table isn't really an appetizing sight. Now, if I were kissing someone, perhaps it might be different. NAW!
Old March 5th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Admiral

I take it that you and your mate dont kiss occassionally at the dinner table. How in the heck do you two share food if you don't do that!
Rick
Old March 5th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Rick, if I shared food, I would want it to be directly from the plate.
Old March 5th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd say the same thing my daughter tells her father and I when we kiss in front of her 'Get A Room". haha
Old March 5th, 2002, 11:05 PM
First Mate

Gosh Marnie,

If the Lesbians looked like the Lesbians I saw in the magazines in the gym locker room I'd say alot of the guys would stop and look until their wives hit them, but being as all of the lesbians I know look nothing like the women in those magazines I'd venture alot of guys would be yelling get a room!!
Old March 6th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Admiral

awwwwwww thats too bad.....Deb and I still hold hands....give little kisses and hugs in public....we do not concern ourselves with people afraid or embarrassed to show eachother affection in public.
Rick
Old March 6th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

That is so sad that peole cannot have the cruise of their lifetime without fully enjoying themselves! Gay money looks like straight money, from where I sit. The only pause for thought I can offer might be just plain affection at the table? My husband is warm and loving but sure doesn't like to be too demonstrative in public!
I sometimes sort of force the issue, but I am mindful of his preferences.

Take care and know there is life after bigotry!
Old March 6th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Parent money looks like single money too, yet some are offended by the sites and sounds of youngsters, just as others are offended by seeing an affectionate gay couple. You can't please everybody, so please yourselves and enjoy your cruise. (within reason of course, ie no FURTHER than kissing at the table lol and no beside the table diaper changes asking for opinions on the color, quantity and consistancy of the contents lol)

The Real Cindy
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We're a gay couple and sound much like Pam and her husband. We're not too much for public displays (other than a quick kiss goodbye). It sounds like Rick was cool with it, so I don't see a problem (although I know my partner would not agree).

We just got back from the Sea Princess Saturday and found everyone (including those over 50, retired, etc) to be more than nice to us both (and often times mentioning in conversation about other gay couples they know to make us know they are cool with us).

I think I've just taken the stance on cruises, etc, to put blinders on when it comes to those disapproving people, and relish in the many whom I find sweet and pleasant company.

Harry Martin
Old March 6th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

We're a gay couple and sound much like Pam and her husband. We're not too much for public displays (other than a quick kiss goodbye). It sounds like Rick was cool with it, so I don't see a problem (although I know my partner would not agree).

We just got back from the Sea Princess Saturday and found everyone (including those over 50, retired, etc) to be more than nice to us both (and often times mentioning in conversation about other gay couples they know to make us know they are cool with us).

I think I've just taken the stance on cruises, etc, to put blinders on when it comes to those disapproving people, and relish in the many whom I find sweet and pleasant company.

Harry Martin
Old March 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie

Call me crazy, BUT....

I am uncomfortalbe with anybody-gay, straight, black, white, green, purple, young or old, kissing and carrying on in public.
Hand holding okay, and a little peck on the cheek okay, but anything more than that should be done in private.

: )
Old March 7th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Okay..you are crazy <G> What is wrong with a gentle lip kiss in public? Is it evil? Why would some think you must hide in private to do that? I give my Mom a "peck of the cheek" .....not my wife . Maybe some are not comfortable showing their significant other affection in front of others.....we are not. Sometimes I even discreetly pat Deb's butt in public <G>.
Rick
Old March 7th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Natalie, I hope the day never comes that Deb and I lose the little romantic things. It is so sad to see so many couples who don't even act like they like eachother. They just sit staring in different directions....no talk....no interaction. One would never know they were together except they walk around together...staring in different directions. Lose the romance and you lose what makes a great relationship special. When people see Deb and I, they see 2 people very much in love and very much together.....so I will risk their disapproval for Deb's lips <G>.
Rick
Old March 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
DRE

Rick, I have no problem with someone kissing their partner the way you describe....however..when I see couples who have their tongues half way down each others throats..then it's time to go somewhere more private. I'm all for showing affection, but there is a time and place (not dinner) for everything.
Old March 7th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Just think of it as a mother bird feeding its young.
Old March 7th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Oh well if we are on cruise together and Deb and I decide to exchange a kiss (no tongue) during dinner......I guess we will just have to offend your sense of decency <G>. We decide the time and place.
Rick
Old March 7th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Admiral

lol......Thanks Paul <G>
Rick
Old March 7th, 2002, 09:55 PM
DRE

you don't offend me by exchanging kisses, whether its at dinner, a club, on deck...it doesn't matter. Unless it's more than a loving kiss. (think mother bird! thanks Paul) But that's my opinion. If you and Deb started groping each other at the dinner table, it would make me alittle uncomfortable to sit there and try to ignore what was going on and eat my salad while you were having dessert! I think at that point, I would excuse myself ( you probably wouldn't even notice I was gone if all that was going on) and find somewhere else to be. I think it is wonderful that you have a great relationship with your wife. Too bad more couples don't. My husband and I are far from being prudes (but that a different subject, !) . And yes we kiss in public (oh my!) But we chose to "hold back" any public displays that may be offensive(use your imagination) to others around us. And remember, the key word is offensive. Yes, I realize that what is offensive to me is not offensive to you. I was referring to the kind of kiss that is more than the "I love you, honey" kiss.
Old March 7th, 2002, 10:19 PM
First Mate

Rick, alot of people feel that couples really should not be so demonstrative about their love for one another. Cinn and don't really kiss much in public. It does not mean I love her any less, it just means we keep our love life private.
Old March 8th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Marnie

Go to Hedonism. After that, seeing anyone kissing in public will be nothing.
Old March 8th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Gay and lesbian couples are just that ... couples.

I am not big on PDA myself but I see nothing wrong with a little kiss or a little hand-holding.

That said, the gay men I know are extremely circumspect.

When my sister-out-law and I did a transAtlantic, we HOPED for gay men to be aboard so we would have some non-threatening company. We hit the jackpot. We were having drinks one night with the "Queens of Holland" and/or "Fruits Afloat" as as they called themselves when one gay couple (who stayed away from the rest of them) started making out in a lounge.

One fellow flared his nostrils and pronounced, "Faggots !!!"

Good taste is good taste.
Old March 8th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to natalie

Okay, Okay. I was usning "peck on the cheek" as a generalization. I am not against showing some affection in public. I am all for holding hands and gazing romantically into each other's eyes. Playing footsies under the table. Kissing on the lips, etc.

What I am uncomfortable with is when there are tougnes involved, groping, etc.etc. When they are all but having sex in front of you.

One action sends the message, "we love each other" the other actions say "We need it right here and now" eeek.
Old March 10th, 2002, 10:16 AM
First Mate

Do guys really think the "lesbians" in those photos are really lesbians?? Come on!!!!
Old March 10th, 2002, 10:26 AM
First Mate

I agree!