CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Overtipping (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/295063-overtipping.html)

mlbcruiser March 16th, 2002 12:59 AM

Overtipping

In reading posts on a couple of cruiseboards lately I've noticed something that alarms me. People who not only have tips added to their sign & sail accts., but tip more cash on top of it! (Like someone tipped in cash in David's Supperclub AND on their sign & sail card for the same dinner. Or people leave extra cash in their cabins on a daily basis just for ice, which we have always automatically gotten from our stewards as part of standard service.) Don't get me wrong. I know the crew really works hard & we generally do tip more than the recommended amount. I'm all for perhaps an occassional extra, on the spot, reward (for room service or a special task well done or special request met.) But what i'm talking about sounds like it is about to become the norm! Is there something about not handing the crew their cash filled envelopes that makes people feel they aren't really tipping? Don't forget, we ARE PAYING to go on a cruise & one of the most important selling points of a cruise is the pampering & great service. This is to be EXPECTED on a cruise. So, to those of you who are set on tipping grandly, can't you just do it one way or the other? Remember, you can chose any amount you'd like on your sign & sail. Pretty soon those of us who tip the regular way or can't afford to greatly overtip everyone will be priced off the ship!

Rick March 16th, 2002 11:47 AM

Re: Overtipping

I don't think you will be priced off the ship by tipping the recommended amount. Tip for service and don't worry about what others tip.

Paul B March 16th, 2002 12:08 PM

Ah, the tip of the iceberg.

Donna March 16th, 2002 03:49 PM

I think some people just add to the tips with extra cash in addition to what already being taken through their sign/sail card just because its easier than going down and adjusting the amounts, just my opinion. Nothing speaks quite a loud a cash anyway.

[img]http://www.cruise-forums.com/gallery/galleries/133/thumb1784.gif[/img

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

Kuki March 16th, 2002 06:26 PM

I certainly haven't seen any indication of over tipping becoming a trend. Tipping a couple of dollars for room service.. sure why not. A few dollars over and above recommended guidelines at the end of the week if the service is exceptional .. done that too.
But I don't think there's many folks running around throwing money at the staff onboard <G>

pamda March 17th, 2002 09:15 AM

I know a single woman who cruises alone. She always tips the bartenders a bit extra ... sort of ensures she has someone to talk to.

sail7seas March 17th, 2002 02:16 PM

As we cruise the same ships and same cruise line often (and the crew moves around from ship to ship), we do tip "more than expected" and more people than the bare miniumum dining/room stewrds. etc.

The service we receive is fabulous and they remember us from cruise to cruise. It is highly likely we will see many of the dining stewards, bar stewards, deck stewards etc again and we want them to know we appreciate the "little extra" effort they expend on our behalf. It does greatly enhance our vacation and we're glad to say thank you.

But...why should that alarm someone else? We certainly don't run around the ship announcing the details of our tipping habits and have no particular interest in what anyone else saw fit to extend to the crew as thanks.

If you only go to a bar once in a ten day cruise, you wouldn't be apt to tip the bartender (and he wouldn't expect you to) but, if like us, you are there every evening before dinner, you probably would WANT to tip him...at least we do.

Do what you wish....but your fellow pax should also have the same "right" to do as they wish.

IMO

Warren March 18th, 2002 09:17 AM

This is the first time I've heard a gripe about other people tipping too much. Most of the time we hear about people who stoop to all sorts of degrading ways to avoid tipping the staff.