Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Default The "love Boat" Lied

It is just getting really tough to find a new "gripe." Anyway, I remember when the Love Boat programs were on television that all the cabins were big, elegant suites. The passengers were all beautiful people who dressed in designer clothes, there were only about six crew members and they knew all the passengers. Everyone seemed to dine with the captain, and no one was overweight. There never seemed to be any lines for tours.

Boy, was I surprised the first time I cruised. They put us in a phone booth with little round windows, there were big lines with hundreds of people on the tours, the only crew members I got to meet were my steward and waiter, and the passengers were like myself, really not beautiful. However, the cruise was great. I loved it and have booked my 16th and 17th since 1993.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: The "love Boat" Lied

I agree......except, I am one of the beautiful people and find it very hard to find others on cruise that measure up to me.
Rick
Old March 19th, 2002, 08:45 PM
First Mate

You obviously haven't sat next to me, or my wife because she is really Hot.
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Captain

Check out the Cruisemates ship review page on this ship. It states: "Not recommended for honeymooners as the twin beds in the cabins do not convert to queen beds". This may be a great ship on other ways, but she's no "Love Boat" under these circumstances.
Old March 20th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Marnie

I agree with the cabin comparison, but I don't know if the people on the love boat were beautiful? Have you seen a re-run lately? Remember it was the 70's. They don't look very beautiful today.
Old March 20th, 2002, 10:42 PM
First Mate

Has anyone actually seen a ships captain and crew who is from America???
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:03 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: The "love Boat" Lied

The Love Boat was a farce in the sense that a farce is a comedy. We started with Princess when it had only one ship and then graduated to the second ship, the Sun Princess. From there the Island and Pacific Princess and all those Princess ships from the purchase of Sitmar.. We got to know some of the English Captains and senior officers because we cruised so much with Princess. I do not believe the Captain, the ship surgeon(in those days he was not known as the doctor), the officers, the bartender, ever advise passengers on their personal; problems. Incidentally, we never saw a black employee such as the bar tender. The dark skin employees we did see were the seamen from India. Once we saw the chinese laundry staff who worked deep within the bowels of the ship, when they left the ship to go to Disneyland.

In those days it did concern us that the bathroom and shower was tiny; that the beds were too small, there was no T.V. or radio in the cabin, no verandahs, small elevators, rumbling engines and propellors; wild gyrations in rough seas. We did enjoy
beer at 35cents a can; Beefeater Gin Martini for 75cents( $1.00 with soda) 75cents to $1.00 .

Despite these comments, the Love Boat series did a lot to generate interest in the cruise industry and it has certainly been beneficial to the youg lady, at that time who developed the series. I undertand she still gets a residual for every re-run.
HannaS77
Old March 21st, 2002, 07:05 PM
HannaS77

Default Re: Re: The

The Love Boat was a farce in the sense that a farce is a comedy. We started with Princess when it had only one ship and then graduated to the second ship, the Sun Princess. From there the Island and Pacific Princess and all those Princess ships from the purchase of Sitmar.. We got to know some of the English Captains and senior officers because we cruised so much with Princess. I do not believe the Captain, the ship surgeon(in those days he was not known as the doctor), the officers, the bartender, ever advise passengers on their personal; problems. Incidentally, we never saw a black employee such as the bar tender. The dark skin employees we did see were the seamen from India. Once we saw the chinese laundry staff who worked deep within the bowels of the ship, when they left the ship to go to Disneyland.

In those days it did not concern us that the bathroom and shower was tiny; that the beds were too small, there was no T.V. or radio in the cabin, no verandahs, small elevators, rumbling engines and propellors; wild gyrations in rough seas. We did enjoy
beer at 35cents a can; Beefeater Gin Martini for 75cents( $1.00 with soda) 75cents to $1.00 for a glass of wine .

Despite these comments, the Love Boat series did a lot to generate interest in the cruise industry and it has certainly been beneficial to the youg lady, at that time who developed the series. I undertand she still gets a residual for every re-run.
HannaS77
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:58 PM
First Mate

I do have to admit that as a kid I watched this show religiouly every saturday night & always dreamed of going on a cruise. Looks like dreams do come true again& again and hopefully many more times.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 10:35 PM
Passenger

I think you have to keep in mind it is Just television and their job is to make everything look better than it actually is. I grew up on Love Boat and I will always enjoy tv for what it is entertainment! My mama always said,"don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see". Cruzinsoon
Old March 26th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Captain

For those of us old enough to remember, the original TV show "The Love Boat" was in the same programing block as "Fantasy Island". Quite a bit of fantasy on both shows.
Old March 28th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Sissybug

I was a young teenager with no social life and loved watching the "love boat" for years until I got a life-I think the show wound down around the time my life sped up a bit. . .anyway, only 4 years later I went on a cruise, and there were lots of cute waiters with adorable accents. . .of course I was 19, one of the few passengers between childhood and parenthood. There was actually a black bartender who thought to compare himself to Issac(was that his name?). UGH. The waiter from portugal though---well, they should all be from Portugal! (BTW, parents guard your teenage girls!)

The room stewards were great, were helpful and personable. The captain was steering the ship I guess, the food was fine, the sun was great. The boat met all my expectations and then some. My favorite part was the "private island". It was exactly what I dreamed the tropics should be. I played on the sandy beach between the palm trees and the beautiful blue sea with a happy little girl for hours. Being a Nanny on a cruise ship was a cush job!

Shelly
Old April 6th, 2002, 03:34 PM
bubblehead

Default Re: Re: The "love Boat" Lied

That space between the twin beds is known as lovers leap. It mut have been the soverign of the seas as the rooms are so small thet if my wife wanted to change her mind she had to go out in the hall to do it.