Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:25 AM
worktocruise

Default Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

I have a difficult time understanding how the airlines can get away with cutting commissions for ticket sales to our American Travel Agents, yet continue to pay commissions to TAs in foreign countries. The US Airlines received a huge bailout from the US government on 9/14/01. They were in financial trouble long before 9/11 and used this tragedy as an excuse to obtain a handout. American travel agents worked to fill their planes and help ease travelers worries. Now they can't pay commissions to American travel agents, who are US taxpayers, but can continue to pay to foreign nationals overseas, including those in countries that are decidedly anti-American, harbor and support terrorist? I don't get it! What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2002, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

Hi Worktocruise,
I don't get it either, makes no common sense??? Even before this cut, the travel agents were only getting $10 for a one way fare and $20 for a round trip, hardly seems worth it?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2002, 04:18 PM
Captain

Default Re: Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

Delta, American (including TWA) and Continental have all done this in the last week or so. The TA's did a valuable job for these airlines. Who is going to do it now? I may be willing to pay a TA $10 or $20 for ticketing help, but I fear not enough people will be willing to do this to Keep the TA's in the air booking business.
Old March 21st, 2002, 05:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

What is so hard about buying your own tickets? It really is easy <G>. I am not willing to pay a TA for ticketing help. Why would I want to do that?
Old March 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

Rick: You would pay a TA for help in booking your air ONLY for difficult bookings. We have so few direct flights here in Okla. City, that all are somewhat difficult. Still, if we are going to Miami, etc. we just do it ourselves too. But things like Okla. City to Nice, France? That's more than a little tough, and I'm glad we had some help available on that one.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Airline Commission Cuts to American TAs

I see your point Babe.
Rick