Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Default precruise American Airlines gripe

We are flying down the day before our cruise and got our own airfare through AA. We got to pick our seats out on the planes for both trips, and got a nice price. Sounds great huh? Well, yesterday we get a nice little email from them with NEW seating arrangements for the flight home. We got stuck in 4 separate seats ALL OVER the plane. Keep in mind, we are not 4 adults travelling. There are a 5 and 3 year old that are currently scheduled to sit on their own. We called the airline, and were told there is nothing they can do right now, no other available seats. We mentioned the situation with the kids, and were told that they wouldn't separate children and it would be fixed at the gate. This will be fun for EVERYONE with the flight attendants begging people to switch seats so that kids and parents won't be separated. From what we're told, a computer mixed up our seats. I'd love to know why a HUMAN can't go in and override the change. I'm wondering if other people on this flight were switched around too? I can just picture a honeymoon couple being separated too, and they would probably not get the same consideration in trying to switch seats as parents and kids would from the flight staff.

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2002, 09:57 AM
worktocruise

Default Re: precruise American Airlines gripe

Be sure to print off a copy of the e-mail and take it with you. Then question them when you check-in on your way and see if they can take care of it at that time. The truth of matter is, they'll have to deal with it sooner or later! The airlines are getting to be a real pain. You're right....a human CAN go in and take care of the problem....they just don't want to.

Have a great trip.
Old March 22nd, 2002, 12:13 AM
First Mate

The airlines block a group of seats on every flight just for contingencies like this (that can only be assigned at the gate). I would not worry a bit- they will have you sitting altogether or one parent next to one child.
The airlines are struggling like heck to stay ahead of the game in this changed world- would not be in a hurry to disparage them. They make their share of mistakes but so do the rest of us...
Old March 24th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Passenger

On our January cruise we had difficulty selecting our seats throught American Airlines. We were able to pick our seats for the return flight from San Juan to Chicago, but on the destination flight, they were holding a block of seats and wouldn't assign our seats. I was angry and frustrated, but kept calling the airlines and did manage to get seats. I feel for you having to travel with little ones. I remember being late in catching a flight and not being able to get seats together. I couldn't believe that none of the passengers were willing to move so our four year old could sit with mom or dad! Fortunately, he had his action toys with him and was able to amuse himself duing the two hour flight.