Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Default Prices going up...Good!

I am glad to see the prices going up. Maybe it will help get a better mannered cruiser on ship. By that I mean that the people willing to pay the higher price may be more serious cruisers. Not just Mom and Pop and their brood jumping on a cheap vacation.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2002, 03:15 PM
AJ

Default Re: Prices going up...Good!

I thought those people were only on the cruises I took!
Old March 24th, 2002, 05:53 PM
Captain

Rick: Maybe it's too much to hope for, but maybe if lines stop offering those super cheap rates (albeit for a cabin I think needs several hundred dollars in upgrades), they will return to offering the level of food, service, and other amenities they had a year ago. Oh, well, we can hope, can't we?
Old March 25th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Dean Renner

Rick,

You enjoy stirring the pot, don't you?!

You know, I've always enjoyed interesting points of view, especially ones that engage people in discussion. I occassionally enjoy throwing something a bit on the wild side out there and shaking up the status quo myself. Otherwise life would be a bit dull, wouldn't you agree?

Here's to keeping things lively!

Dean
Old March 25th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Prices going up...Good!

Stir the pot. Not Rick. He would never state anything in a tongue in cheek manner just
to stir the pot. Certainly no more than I would anyway.
Old March 25th, 2002, 09:51 PM
First Mate

I don't mind saving a little when I can. It's only American to get a great deal. Generally what ever I save on the price of the cabin, I spend on other things on the ship. Will I stop cruising when the price goes? Not a chance! Rick I'm sure your counting the days like I am! 26 days until the Explorer of the Seas!
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Benjo

A question for you Rick. Has the price of cruising gone down considerably in the last few years?? My first cruise was on the Mercury and I paid $800 for 7 nights, inside cabin. Since then I went on a cruise with CCL and I'm going on the Century in 10 days. I noticed a huge difference in the class of cruisers from the Destiny to the Mercury but I don't know if there was a big price difference as I purchased my CCL cruise thru a Interline travel agency.
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:34 PM
savin2cruise

Rick,
Just stay on this board to cause trouble.
Apparently, they enjoy it!!!!!
Old March 25th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Admiral

expressing an opinion is causing trouble? Okay.
Old March 26th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Captain

Rick makes a valid point. Now here in Oklahoma, it's very hard to look at someone and know anything about their socio-economic class. Most of our people who have net worths in the multi millions wear jeans and drive Ford pickups. When you see a guy in an Armini suit driving a Mercedes S class, chances are he's got about the same in a NEGATIVE NET WORTH. But maybe socio-economic class isn't what Rick means anyway.

The real problem appearing on these and other boards about the "new class of guests" that came along with fare decreases (which have been mainly as to small, inside cabins) deals with the greater number of children and teenagers who have been appearing onboard. Now I like kids, bless them, and I used to be one myself. But when you get too many together, all heck seems to break loose, and these reports have been on the increase. My three children are now adults, but I can well remember them at various ages, and doubt that a cruise vacation would have been right for them until they reached near maturity. Too confining. Not enough to do many times. So they make up their own things to do, and that's not always good! So maybe higher fares will equal fewer kids, which will equal fewer kid problems.

And hopfully, as I said before, higher fares will lead to some restoration in quality of food, service, and amenities.
Old March 26th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Default You're all Republicans!

Rick, why don't you just pay extra next time you decided to book a cruise? It can be your prerogative to do your bit for improving service and you can indulge your snobbery while those of us who are not so materially blessed can still enjoy cruises.
Old March 26th, 2002, 11:55 AM
Admiral

Default Re: You're all Republicans!

Good idea Thomas...thanks. Writing check now <G>. One should buy what one can afford. Don't expect to pay less and have the same level of service provided....like it or not, that is the way it is.
Rick
Old March 26th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Rick, you left out all the poor old codgers who smell bad, but were finally able to cruise on their social security checks. With prices going back up, they and their walkers will have to stay at home.
Old March 26th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Default Re: You're all Republicans!

Holy Poseiden Batman, there's an imposter on the board. One Thomas is enough don't you think Robo?

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 26th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Admiral

Paul I don't mess with the old codgers .....lol.....I am quickly approaching membership into that group!
Rick
Old March 26th, 2002, 03:45 PM
First Mate

Now everyone! Lets just stop here and sing the Barney Song, lol There are poor people who are classy and there are rich people who are trashy. The price is not what makes a good cruiser or not it is the upbringing.
Old March 26th, 2002, 04:02 PM
AJ

Ma & Pa Kettle and the clan are probably the ones that hit oil in their back yard.

We have been fortunate and for the most part have met some really great people on the cruises we have taken but..... There have been a few you run across and just wonder where they came from. I did request once to be moved from a table first night Carnival there were I think 5 of us cruised together we were sitting at a large table (10+) we had not even ordered dinner and a man started *****ing about the food. Of course his taste buds should have been dead for as much as he drank. Do you ever remember the guys in the movies that belches and tells his woman to go get him another beer.... I got to see that for real. It just ruined the evening. I drink but not to the extreme of being obnoxious and making others uncomfortable. I guess that is just part of cruising the good always out weighs the bad and we still keep cruising.
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Winner

Gee, Babe, I didn't realize cruiselines had agreed to sell cabins to children and teenagers. Are they the ones occupying all the inside cabins?
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Prices going up...Good!

Huh? Maybe I should re-read the babe's post cause I don't know what YOU are talking about.
Rick
Old March 27th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Prices going up...Good!

Winner, I don't know. I've just observed two things. First, the much-publicized low cruise prices of late always seem to be cheap only as to the lowest grade of cabin. When I've taken these "specials" and applied an upgrade to the type of cabin we usually book (a 200 sq. ft. outside), I don't find any savings over a year or two ago. Second, the great majority of the "inappropriate" guest behavior which has been on the increase in recent months reportedly involves children. Maybe what's happening is that the low prices on base level cabins are motivating people to book two of these and take the kids, when a year ago they wuld have booked only one and left the kids at home, but that's just a guess. And of course, none of these comments is meant to apply to Disney or any other ship with intensive children's programs that markets to parents with kids. On those, the kids are kept busy enough to avoid much of the mischief. But to see first hand reports on the "kid problem" check out the RCI message boards here and on cruisecritic.
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rick, my 8 yo only wants to go to Marriotts and Radissons. He was "disappointed" when I told him I have a room next week at the Holiday Inn so he can swim for a day on his vacation. What, NO room service?? He also informed us last night at dinner that we were NOT to remind him of our cruise on the Golden last month because "5 weeks ago we were in St. Thomas." He's also sad that I will be quitting my job so that I can be home with him in the summers - he's afraid we won't be able to go on any more cruises - guess what? I'll be watching the sales!!! and we will be going again, and he will be with us, he will behave at dinner, he will NOT splash you in the pool, and he will not be running free on the ship. Maybe if more people brought their kids on cruises, they would see how Rick behaves, and they could emulate him. You can't teach a kid good manners at McDonalds.
Old March 28th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Even though I have encountered guests on cruises that I would have prefered stay home(and some of them were so called 'professionals"), I never felt they didn't have a right to the same wonderful vacation as me. I am disturbed by Rick's concern about his vacation being disrupted by others. I am extremely professional, polite, and mindful of other guests when criusing. I am able to afford the luxury of cruising every year, but even if I made only enough money to book inside cabin and have to watch every penny I spent, I would still go. When I first began cruising I was making one fifth of what I am making now, but the I feel insulted that Rick would have wanted to limit my ability to enjoy the same things in life that he does. I began booking inside cabins and now I book only Cat 11 and 12 - and my actions, personality, and manners have not changed. I feel that the generalization of the original post was a little "overboard" (pun intended). The rising cost of cruising will of course limit the so called "mom and pop" traveler, but it will also limit those whom you would want to be vacationing with. Regardless of where you vacation, you are going to run into people you would otherwise not have anything to do with - and guess what - you don't have to associate with them on the ship either. Keep in mind Rick -The worst day of vacation is still better than the best day at work. (Read from a previous post, unable to place the author). I have noticed that those on the cruise I find most obnoxious, rude and loud-mouthed are those that have the money and flaunt it. I choose to enjoy my cruise and not let the actions (over which I have no control) of other stress me.
Old March 28th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Captain

Default Re: You don't see this often!

You don't often see a poster changing his mind on these boards after reading threads of others, but here goes.

My previous posts were based on the theory that cheap inside cabins (the only kind that are, I've found) are bringing more kids onboard who cause the unruly behavior problem. Rethinking the matter, I think this theory may be wrong. When I think about it, there have been far too many young people on cruises I've been on who behaved perfectly for age to be the problem. Also, there have been times when I,too, could only afford an inside cabin, and I caused no problem. Now clearly, many cruises have had "unruly behavior" problems. More so than in the past. But what's causing this? Here's a rare answer for a poster on this board: I don't know.

Could it be that crew cut-backs on some ships have made enforcement of behavior codes more difficult? I don't know, but it's a theory. What do you think?
Old March 29th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Whoa, Rick - why the change of heart? From most of your postings it's obvious that you hate kids - why change now? But thanks for the apology. No, I'm not independently wealthy, but I'm trying to get over the "He (she) who dies with the most toys wins" mentality. It's more important to take care of one's family than one's things. When my son is out of the house, I will still have a life, as I do now. I will, hopefully, have an even better handle on what IS important in life. Maybe I will have a job that I enjoy at that point, or maybe I'll do volunteer work. Life really IS more than money.
Old March 29th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, I myself always book inside cabins. I don't see the need to spend more money on a room that I never spend much time in. You get the same cruise I get with your Expensive Balcony rooms. I live on a fixed income and I guess that tends to make me more frugal. That is not all bad. Our children are all grown and have children of there own. Believe me our group will have a ball on this cruise but us inside cabin people will behave ourselves so you upper class people can rest assured that your cruise will not be ruined by us. GIVE ME A BREAK! Char
Old March 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Admiral

JJ......very good points. Your family is very lucky to have you. JJ.....I don't hate kids!
Rick
Old March 29th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Captain

Default Re: Mia Culpa

Charlene: I may have been the one early in this thread to first suggest that the cheap inside cabins and the guests who book them may be responsible for the unruly shipboard behavior which reportedly has been on the rise recently. But my reading of other posts on this subject changed my mind. (Read my post four posts above yours.) I now believe my original theory was totally incorrect. After all, these baords are about communication and education, and changing one's mind should be part of the process. I applolgize to any I might have offended with my original theory.

But the fact stands that unruly behavior seems to be on the rise (RCI seems to catch the most of it for some reason), and this must have a cause and a solution. I'm sure you don't want to be stuck on a ship with unruly people any more than I do. Now that I know what the casue ISN'T, I only wish I knew what the cause is! Do you have any ideas on this?
Old March 31st, 2002, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Babe: I ALSO book inside cabins on occasion and consider myself to have manners. Now whether you would think so or not is another story. I DO not believe that one can make assumptions on people's social graces due to their cabin category.
Old March 31st, 2002, 11:28 AM
Captain

Default Re: My Retractions, please read!

Mermaid and all! In my last two posts above I retracted my previous statement of theory that low cost inside cabins were the cause of anything wrong. Since my original statement, I had read and considered other opinions on this thread, and decided that my original thought was WRONG -- and stated that.

Let me clarify what I meant by "unruly behavior", reports of which are on the rise, and I don't know the cause. By that , I mean throwing furniture overboard, burglary of cabins and ships' stores, throwing food, valdalism, banging on cabin doors in the middle of the night, and such.

I'm now of the opinion that there is no relationship between this and "bargain cabins". Instead, I wonder what is REALLY at the root of this problem. Do you have any ideas?
Old March 31st, 2002, 11:09 PM
Admiral

Okay Babe Ruth, I hear ya.

....If you would ask my mother this question, What is the root of this problem?, this would be her answer. The decline of the family unit in today's society. She just may be partially right.