Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2002, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Default Upgrade...truth or lie?

I won't come right out and say that some of the posters on these boards lie about the upgrades (free) that THEY SAY they got. I see posts on the boards where some say they were upgraded from lowest cat inside to Balconies. Given the fact that ships are sailing at or near full, I find this very hard to believe . Plus, from all I can read about upgrades (free).....they are hard to get. I read that TA's can not give an upgrade......I read that only certain people in the cruise line have that ability.......I read that the general rule on upgrades (free) are inside to inside. outside to outside..etc. I read one post on CCL where the poster said he has been upgraded (free) 8 out of last 10 times <G>. I know that some have the need to embellish.......but stop it. You are not gonna get a reward for mis-leading others. I am sure some get a free upgrade from time to time but I can't believe they went from inside to suite with large balcony.lol.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Upgrade...truth or lie?

Hi Rick,
You may be right about the real truth about upgrades?? I've booked only 2 times with a guarantee cabin catagory and both times, no upgrade, but won't stop me from booking that way in the future, you just never know. Just make sure to book the catagory you'd be happy with, then no disappointment and thats exactly what we've done, so I'm always happy with the cabin assignment.

I think too many factors can get involved with obtaining an upgrade, there just is no sure thing when talking about free upgrades as you've stated.

(who still hopes for an upgrade)

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 24th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Admiral

When we went on the inaugural of the Carnival Pride on 12/30/01, we paid for a 4A guarantee and were upgraded to a 4D, a 3 category upgrade. Granted, the accomdations were EXACTLY the same as what we paid for, just higher up. But it was still a nice little treat, even if only a psychological one. I'm sure there will be times in the future when we'll want to book a particular cabin, and we'll happily do so and pay for that category and cabin. But there will be other times, like the Pride, which was an "extra" cruise for us this year, when we'll book an inside guarantee, because just being on the ship will be all we could hope for, and anything beyond that would just be gravy.
jennifer
Old March 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
First Mate

Yes, Rick, I tend to agree with you. What about that poster on the other site that says she just got a free upgrade from Cat 6D to Cat. 12 through Carnival. I find that hard to believe. She didn';t say if she was a frequent Carnival cruiser, or what!!! If its true, great, but I wonder how Carnival picks only certain people to upgrade and what do they look at. We also booked a 6D but didnt get an upgrade. I will keep hoping. ...........
Old March 25th, 2002, 11:06 AM
worktocruise

I also tend to agree with Rick. I've cruised with RCI 34 times and have NEVER received an upgrade! Not that I care, but I've wondered about all the people who claim they get upgrades. I guess I don't consider the EXACT same accommodations a person paid for on a "higher" deck to be a true upgrade, but maybe it is!
Old March 25th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Sissybug

I took a last minute type of offer(actually about 6 wks lead time) and called and asked for the lowest fare inside cabin. My travel agent inquired for me and said that the line was filled in that category and they offered me an upgrade to an outside obstructed view cabin. . .no lie:> I had asked for the lowest fare offered and I got it, just a better cabin(4117 on the CCL Spirit).

I am so excited, I think we got a good bargain-my mom, the queen of discount shopping is pleased. We are paying less than $1200 ea for our cruise, air, port charges, and taxes on a 12 nite cruise Hawaii to Vancouver. (I think my agent got a good deal and passed on a pkg. to her customers with air and airport transportation from our homes locally-we also only have one way air and one way on a bus home from Vancouver to the Tacoma area)

Shelly
Old March 25th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Admiral

It may be kind of like the people who talk about how much money they made on the slots the nights before.

(I think they ALL lie !!! )

We book a cabin we will be happy with. It the Upgrade Fairy happens to vist, WAH HOO WAH !!!

When we went on Horizon last November we booked the lowest outside ROS (Run of Ship), Because Horizon (or sister ship, Zenith) doesn't have balconies, it's didn't matter.

The Upgrade Fairy was obviously having a good day, at least so far as we were concerned.

What rots my socks is people who pi@@ and moan because they don't get upgraded.

Sheesh, kids. Pick what you want and pay for it and don't complain because the Upgrade Fairy doesn't visit.

A good TA will work his/her butt off to get an upgrade for a good client (that means one who doesn't call or e-mail 16 times a day whining for an upgrade) to do the best that she/he can do. The best way NOT to get an upgrade is to hassle the TA's a@@.

From my understanding, TAs cannot give upgrades. They can ask, but not give.

Upgrades come from a lot higher up the ladder or just plain good luck.

Old March 25th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Rachel

Well, it was my message that claimed that upgrade (inside to balcony). And, well it was true and not true. The message was true, I did check personalizer that night and our category I (an upgrade from category N already) had changed to category BE. I already posted what really happened on another board, there were just so few replys here I figured no one really cared. Anyhow, my travel agent was on the phone with princess the day before and asked if there were any upgrades available. She was told that there was some sort of sale going on and somehow managed to change our exisitng reservation - category N guarentee + one nights accomidation at budget hotel to Category BE guarentee with one nights accomidation at the Pan Pacific and transfer for only $8 more than we had been paying. She called me the next morning to ask me if it was ok. So it wasn't a random upgrade, but it was true!

Rachel

p.s. Why on earth would I lie about something like that?
Old March 25th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Upgrades DO happen... just not to me <VBG>

Rachel.. in your case it seems fairly simple. Looks like the cost of the cruise dropped so much that for the same money (+ $8) you were able to purchase the higher category. I think that's TERRIFIC!

It's possible (seems likely) that if you would have wanted to you could have purchased your original CAT N guarantee for less $, but I think you did just fine <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 25th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Passenger

>Rachel.. in your case it seems fairly simple. Looks like the cost of the cruise dropped >so much that for the same money (+ $8) you were able to purchase the higher >category. I think that's TERRIFIC!

Me too! And I can't wait to see the hotel. It was kind of fun for the 12 hours when I thought it was a random upgrade (I was at work at 3=1am and happended to check from there), but it just goes to show how good a good travel agent is.

Rachel
Old March 25th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Peggy and I have booked several cruises with the initial booking being a 2 category upgrade, outside to outside. I don't consider that an upgrade, because we received it on booking and it was a cuise show special. However, we have NEVER received an upgrade after booking and don't expect to. Like most of you, I think real upgrades and dining with the captain are extremely rare occurences.
Old March 25th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

I booked an inside cabin on Princess in April for a September cruise and when the docs came I had been upgraded to a Balcony cabin. We never asked it just happened.

We were also upgraded on Princess a few years ago from an inside to an ocean view cabin.

I have never been upgraded on RCCL or HAL.

My advice is to book as early as possible and the cheapest cabin, you may get the upgrade,

However., be prepared to live with what you booked.!!!!!!

Happy sails
Mary
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Upgrade...truth or lie?

Rachel.....did your TA offer you a choice of refund or upgrade for the new lower fare?
Rick
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Benjo

Last year I booked our cruise on the Destiny 6 weeks before she sailed. I paid for a outside cabin with a port hole. When we checked in the cruise line staff that checked us in moved us to a cabin with a balcony. Both me and my wife were extremly pleased and surprised. I'm betting on that not happening again anytime soon.
Old March 25th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Upgrade...truth or lie?

She just took the upgrade at the time of her call with Princess. I'm not very easy to get in touch with and we could have lost the deal. She said we still at this point turn it down and get $100 back (and lose the nicer hotel room too.) If this had been the original offer, we would have almost certainly taken the inside room and cheap hotel. But now that we've already 'spent' the money and budgeted it the last few months, it's so much easier to just go for it!

Rachel
Old March 25th, 2002, 11:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Upgrade...truth or lie?

Rachel.....I would like that too. Deb and I wish you a great cruise. Tell us all about it when you get home. We wish our sail day would hurry and get here!
Rick and Deb
Old March 26th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Yeoman

We went from a 4A to a 6B on the Carnival Sensation last December. I think it had alot to do with 9/11. We saw the prices drop on our cabin category right after the attacks and called our TA who said that Carnival would upgrade us to the room category that was going for what we had originally paid (which I thought was a good deal). So that's how we got an oceanview.

I would ride in the engine room if it meant I could go on another cruise each year
Old March 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
ehogan

We usually book the cheapest cabin on a guarantee basis. We don't spend a lot of time in the room and we prefer to save our money so we can go on as many cruises as possible.

However, we have received a number of upgrades by booking on a guarantee basis:

Carnival Elation Booked a 1A (bunk beds) and were upgraded to a 4C.
Celebrity Infinity booked an outside (got a great deal) and upgraded to a balcony
Carnival Inspiration booked a 1A and upgraded to a 4A
Carnival Fascination booked a 1A and upgraded to a 4A
Holland America Ryndam booked lowest category and upgraded to outside

We have never received an upgrade on RCCL or Princess.

One thing to note, however, we often travel at unpopular times (i.e. middle of December or first two weeks of January) so that may be a factor in our luck.

I agree with other members that you should book the minimum category your would be happy with and take any upgrade as a nice little gift.
Old March 26th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have been upgraded on Princess 3 times. Inside to outside--all the way in the bow-did not know this until we embarked. Outside to balcony--in the stern. And outside to balcony for us and our friends--this time I was called about three weeks before sailing. No extra charges were incurred.
Elaine
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:26 PM
First Mate

I can't see why people would embellish their upgrade tales, and I'm hoping that they aren't. It gives us all more hope.

Bob & I have only taken 2 cruises, both with Princess, and were upgraded (slightly) both times. Once from inside to outside; upcoming from BD to BB -- same room but on the Caribe deck with bigger balcony, which is the most important to us. Neither time did we use a TA. First time with expedia, and this time thru Princess direct. I guess we are having beginners luck!! We leave in just 11 days & a few hours!!! Gloria
Old March 30th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Mike Mastellar

Upgrades do happen but it is more luck and circumstances that will control it. Tim Rubacky has a good article on the Home page about this.

Of the last two gurarantees I have booked, I have booked the category cabin that I would be happy with and have been upgraged both times. Very good upgrades. Balcony to Suite on Mercury and balcony to mini-suite on Ocean Princess. I have no idea why I was upgraded on Mercrury. (Probably they hoped I would spend more time in the cabin and not scare as many passengers on deck.) <G> On Ocean Princess I think it was due to a issue I had with my T/A that I was VERY irritated about and let her, her supervisor, and Princess know my displeasure. A couple of weeks later I received a short letter from the t/a with my new cabin number. I also had hard copy documentation ot the issue to back me up. So lo and behold I was upgraded.

I think though that my next upgrade will be sometime in the next decade. The upgrade fairy doesn't show up that often. Book a guarantee in the category you want and if the upgrade fairy shows up then it's just icing on the cake.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host and Lucky in some things and not so lucky in others.
Old March 30th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Charlene Hempler

Hi, We just received our Doc's a couple days ago and were surprised to see we got an upgrade. We booked 4A and now have 4E. We booked a garanteed room and the first time we ever did it that way. Actually our TA did it and told us later. Thanks to her for doing it that way. This is only our second cruise with Carnival . We are all very pleased with the upgrade tho. Only 27 more days to go! Can't wait......... Char
Old April 1st, 2002, 10:43 AM
BirdBrain

Took my first cruise ever on Paradise March 10-17. We booked a guaranteed category 4A, cheapest inside, on Riviera deck. We were upgraded to an outside, with window, not porthole, on Riviera. We were very pleased to have the window. Given a choice of being upgraded to a higher deck inside, or the same with window, I'd take the window every time. We were in R32, last port side fore cabin with window before portholes start. Very comfortable, very stable, slept like a baby, very little noise. Fantastic experience for a first cruise.
Old April 1st, 2002, 11:47 AM
Marnie

I do believe that you are really unlikely to get upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony cabin. We booked 2 cabins as 8A guarantees (which are balcony cabins) and both were upgraded to a suite, not the biggest suite but the next step down. We booked one other inside cabin on the same cruise. That was not upgraded at all.

I am certain that our TA contacted the Carnival rep and asked for a favor, because we met the rep when we got back from our cruise and she already knew who we were. I think she could swing upgrading only the 2 cabins because we had a balcony guarantee. The travel agent said it is very unlikely for that to happen again.

If I ever get a chance to book a guarantee, I'll try and hope for some kind of upgrade, but I wouldn't count on it.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 09:36 PM
cruzinsoon

We are sailing on the 6th, booked an hh guar and got e309 so it does happen. I think it's just luck. Cruzinsoon
Old April 12th, 2002, 02:32 PM
unhcat

My husband and I were upgrade from an inside cabin to an outside cabin on our honeymoon. Our TA told Carnival and the upgrade was given to us when we checked in at the airport before boarding the bus to the cruise ship. It does happen!