Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Default People who worry

I think it's time to stop seeing posts from people worried about travelling because of security concerns since 9/11. We live in a violent world.....that should not be news to anyone. Violence is in mans nature and will never change. I am tired of seeing the "worry" posts that show up from time to time on the boards. The truth is that no matter how much security you have, you can never be completely safe. I would worry more about dying in a car accident..from smoking....from obesity than I would from a terrorist. So please get over it! Don't go thru life being a wimp! Let the terrorist know that you will live life to the fullest and that you will kick their a@@ if they mess with you. All the whiners about security do is help the terrorist acheive their objective. Security can only do so much..it will never eliminate the problem....so stop your whining and be the type of kick a@@ American that we once were and many still are.
Rick
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Marnie

Default Re: People who worry

If they are afraid, they can stay home for all I care. That's one more deck chair available.
Old March 27th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Passenger

My feelings exactly. I would rather die having a good time on a holiday than have a drunk driver hit me and maybe worse, make an invilid out of me for the rest of my life! I have always found security very good on cruises, and not for that reason, but cruising is the only way I have a holiday. I am a working mother of 3. Camping is home away from home the hard way. Traveling and staying in hotels isn't fun either, packing and re-packing suitcases and cars isn't fun either. Way to go cruise mates wishing you all blue skys and calm seas. With security in for a bonus!
Old March 28th, 2002, 07:37 AM
cruz-b4

I would add to that all the people who tell everybody not to bother to get off the ship in port because of poverty,begging,drugs,dirty streets,etc.(such as Jamaica).It is a wonder that any of these people ever leave their houses and some call themselves seasoned travelers but when they travel they use "dont bother" all the time when it comes to getting off the ships in port.
Old March 28th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Admiral

There are a couple of ports where I don't get off the ship and prefer itineraries that do NOT include those ports.

I would never tell anyone else not to bother, though.

Old March 28th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Charlene Hempler

Wow!! I am agreeing with you Rick once again! That doesn't happen to often! haha Just kidding! Our group is ready to go. Only 30 more days! Not one of us are thinking of being afraid to fly or to cruise. We are ready to have the great vacation! And we will do just that. Char
Old March 28th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Jim Munkitrick

Worry and fear?
I worry about my next cruise
I fear I will not bring enough money

and...
I choose to hide from terrorists..on a cruise ship.
Old March 30th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Passenger

Amen Rick.
Old April 16th, 2002, 12:46 AM
First Mate

Sorry to rehash an old post but I have been biting my tongue over this one. When I re-read it tonight I felt compelled to respond.

If I am worried or have concerns it's because on 9/11 I never thought I would ever see my husband again, or even have a chance to say goodbye. My sister's husband was missing most of the day, he ran from the first collapse. Thank God he only suffered minor injuries but the mental trauma will be with him forever. My best friend's husband was killed, she and her 10 month old daughter will never recover fully from the loss.

I was close enough to smell the fire for days. My kids were home for a week from school. Their friends lost parents. My husband lost many friends and collegues. Our world was turned upside down for months. The sorrow and grief in my community was palpable for a very long time.

Your "just get over it" attitude seems callous and uncaring. Yes, we live in a violent world. My children's innocence was stolen and crushed that day, as well as their ability to feel safe leaving home even for short periods of time.

Yes, I got on with things.... I moved on.... I've traveled... but my heart is still heavy and I grieve every day the loss of friends, the loss the financial community (which my family is a part of) suffered, the loss of the towers which now is a gaping hole in the skyline as well as in our souls.

Adding insult to injury was the plane crash in Rockaway which landed on the house of my daughter's boyfriend killing his grandparents.

I'm glad you can just "get over it" and your advice to people who may have been personally involved by these events to "stay home for all you care" is cruel.

I don't think people are "whining"- they may be expressing the stress and trauma that has had lingering effects on many, many people.

I'm not suggesting you change your attitude or even have the capacity to understand what some people experienced- you have the right to feel as you do. I also have the right to disagree and think your remarks were harsh and uncaring.

Peace to you - I'm glad you weren't traumatized.

deja