Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Default Seven Day Cruises Are Really 6 1/2 days!

Think about it! Suppose that your cruise leaves the dock at 5pm pr later (Radiance is scheduled to leave Ensenada an 9pm on my next cruise) and you finally get on the ship at 3pm or later. Then, on the last morning, you disembark at around 9am. You have lost at least six hours of prime fun, daylight time aboard the ship. I realize that this is just the way things are, but thinking about it still hurts. Guess that's why we try to take longer cruises whenever possible. Rick, how abour a giant class action suit against all cruise lines everywhere. The lawyers would all get rich and we would each get 50 cents.
Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Seven Day Cruises Are Really 6 1/2 days!

If you take a closer look - theses are 7 night cruises (i.e. 6 full days, 7 nights). 7 day cruises would be 7 days, 8 nights
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Paul, After I posted that I felt it read a little snooty - not my intention. Let me clarify: Just another way of slightly deceptive advertising. Most people who read 7 day cruise assume it is a full 7 days. They need to be advertised as 7 night. Not many first time cruisers understand that the first day is half gone and the last day is nonexistent.
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Seven Day Cruises Are Really 6 1/2 days!

Not sure about that! On page 16 and 17 of the April Cruise Travel magazine, CruiseMasters advertises all the cruises in terms of days. Perhaps we could all sue them.
Old March 30th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Admiral

By a "closer look" I meant look at the itinerary. I was not implying they advertise that way - they don't, but they should...

Believe me, the thought of my upcoming 12 day cruise (as advertised) only being 11 days makes me sad.
Old March 31st, 2002, 12:33 AM
Admiral

But 11 1/2 is much better than 6 1/2.
Old April 1st, 2002, 03:32 PM
Marnie

Most advertise the cruises as the number of nights. Some vacation ads in the paper (usually not cruises) list vacations as 8 days but they are 7 nights. And because the day of arrival and day of departure are travel days, that's really only 6 days and a few extra hours. That's really deceiving.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

All the more reason to get to the port a day early and be one of the 1st ones on the ship!! Squeak in as much "day" as possible.
Old April 2nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
Admiral

agree jj.....exactly what Deb and I are starting to do on our upcoming Pride cruise......plus elininates worry about air delays.
Rick
Old April 7th, 2002, 01:31 AM
Yeoman

I totally agree with you guys. On Jan 20th, my husband and I were leaving the Port of Tampa on the Carnival Sensation. We arrived at 10 am as boarding was supposed to start at 12pm. Our ship was then supposed to depart by 4pm. Then it turns out that our ship did not pull into port until 2pm because of fog. By the time the disembarked, cleaned and loaded everyone and everything up, we were already running 4 hrs behind. We ended up leaving port at 9pm that night. So we lost a whole day. In turn the ship did not make it's stop at Playa del Carmen, causing us to lose some of our excursion options. So in turn our seven day cruise truly was a six day cruise.
(Just an added note, aside from the rocky start, the cruise turned out to be great. Our compensation for the lateness of leaving? A $15 credit to each of our Sail in Sign Cards. Needless to say, that was used the first night.)