Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2002, 07:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Cruise Lines control the weather

Cruise Lines control the weather, this must be true. Just think of all the passengers that have a shore excursion and get hit with a heavy down pour on a Caribbean outing and feel it has been a ruined day. Or an Alaska excursion and the heavy clouds turn to fog on the mountain top, the scenery is blocked. And of course the sea conditions are not the most favorable when the ship tosses more than expected.

So what do these individuals do, run to the relations desk and ask for a refund, and sea conditions ... a free cruise. Come on, get with the program. Even with all the highly sophisticated equipment on the bridge Mother Nature controls the weather. And it is not nice to tick off Mother Nature

The cruise officers and crew go out of their way to give the passenger the most pleasant experience possible. So why is it that these individuals feel compelled to tell everyone how the cruise line treated them with no respect and try and make the rest of us miserable.

Veteran cruisers know that weather conditions change, and not a thing can be done. As a Navy man and owning boats over 20 years I have seen all kinds of conditions that would give you nightmares. So chill out and take the cruise in stride. Make the best of the situation, and most of all enjoy the cruise. The cruise line and crew are there to please.

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2002, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Cruise Lines control the weather

Y2C...
you forgot the other things cruise lines control:

snow storms that cause your flight to be cancelled

mechanicals that cause your flight to be cancelled

airlines that lose your luggage

taxis that take the long route to the pier

Non-US citizens that fail to show up to clear customs on disembarkation day

government ovethrows while in port

cheap jewelry that cruise pasengers overpaid for

etc
etc
etc

thanks for your posting!
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Thanks Texasmunk,

Forgot the cruise lines controls those items also.
And how about getting a refund for "There is to much poverty to look at".

Old April 3rd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Passenger

You forgot the passengers who complain about all the blacks on the islands. Another - going to a french island and complaining that english is not the first language and getting your change in other than US dollars. Sheesh, and they think they are world travellers.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 06:36 AM
Marnie

That's hilarious. I'll take all of those things over a week of work anytime. Isn't that all part of traveling, experiencing different climates of the world? Aaahhh, to be caught in a downpour on a tropical island right now. Sounds like heaven to me.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cruise Lines control the weather

Gee, you all gripe too much.............<vbg> !!!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 3rd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Cruise Guy

I do believe the cruise lines should at least refund the port charges for a missed port. On our 10-01-01 cruise to the Sea of Cotez on HAL, we missed Cabo because of a hurricane that destroyed it the week before. I went to the front desk and asked about the port charges for that port. They said there is absolutly nothing they could do about it and I should read my contract. It does say that they can change itinerarys with no refunds for missed ports but nothing about port charges. To me this seems entirely unfair, at least give me a room credit for it. They said no way.

The Cruise Guy.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Jenn#1

Of course the cruise lines don't control the weather, but neither does the passenger. Although it would be fruitless to complain about a missed port or a canceled or ruined excursion, why should it be the passenger that always has to take the hit. I don't think booking an excursion should be a gamble. Refunding the full cost for canceled shore excursions and maybe giving the passanger some kind of coupon or credit on their cruise card would be fair for ruined excursions and both parties might be happy in the end.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Cruise Lines and ship Captains can also control the actions of the creatures of the sea.
We went on a whale watching excursion and got to see an unusual amount of activity.
When a mother and calf headed for our boat and dove under it and came back up on the other side , one woman hollered up to the captain "make them come back and do that again, I didn't get a picture". I swear to you that a little while later the same woman complained when the whales were diving that the captain should get them to hold the flukes up longer because she was not fast enough to get that picture either.
You know she actually complained back at the office that the captain did not get the whales to pose for good pictures.
Old April 3rd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Admiral

If a shore excursion is cancelled, refunds go straight to your sail and spend card. I've never heard otherwise.

Of course, if you book 'em yourself and guarantee them you're sorta toasted.

Old April 21st, 2002, 05:23 PM
marinjoe

You are correct they do not control the weather and often are forced to make changes that require them to cancel port stops. But when they simply cancel ports in advance and do not replace them (Celebrity panama canal 4.27.02) it ruins it for the passengers who pay for the trip expecting to see the islands listed. This is a new version of switch and bait. Adertise islands and then with less than a week to go cancel without replacement. The cruise lines save on the port charges, the passengers are at sea longer to spend money on the cruise ships and because of contract conditions, the ships are required to do anything including explanations why they dropped ports for non weather related reasons.