Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Underage drinking

On one of the other cruise boards, a passanger who just came back from the Explorer of the Seas was surprised to see the large amount of early teen drunks on board with their parents no where to be found. One teen was able to buy a bottle of vodka in port and have a little party which could have caused someone to have an accident. The ships security came over to take care of the problem only to have to deal with another one with the parents. Both parents and child were booted off the ship at the next port. Many of the cruise lines are now tanking matters very seriously and removing passengers when they become conerned about over drinking. Another teen decided she wanted to strip and wonder naked on the deck while being a bit tippsy. She and her family were also booted.
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Charlene Hempler

Default Re: Underage drinking

That is a little bit much I would say. These parents are not doing there duties are they? That is too bad that the drinking of children just ruined there great cruise vacation. Not smart on the parents side. Well to each his own. The punishment was right for the crime. Char
Old April 6th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Admiral

Mike, I believe that your post is just the tip of the ice berg. Parents don't want to be "parents" anymore.....they want to be big brother and big sister.......best friend...etc....A lot of parents are way to permissive. On one of the ship boards (Carnival?) I saw a post from a lady asking about minimum gambling age on ships...she has a 17 year old son who wants to know..lol....HELLO.....she knows 17 is too young to gamble anywhere.......so why ask the question? Parents ...just say NO! Not that hard....all together,,,,,,,,, NO!....I have often said....I would much rather have my kids respect than love. I think you can serve your kids better by teaching them to obey laws.....common courtesy......rules etc....than giving into their whims. Giving in is easy but will come back to haunt you! Sorry......over did it again <G>.

Old April 6th, 2002, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rick your right. If I let it go for one week. I mean say yes to everything, they would walk all over me. Being a parents is like being half a drill sargent and half a teacher. Cinn and I show them the way. They will follow and carry it on after we're gone. No one said real parents get a day off. When I'm onboard I don't take the kids into places they should not be. It's that simple. Peace buddy. 14 days until the Explorer of the Seas.
Old April 6th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Admiral

It's not just the drinking, it's the doping as well.

Anyone who lived through the sixties knows darned well the smell of "sweet leaf" unless they were totally sheltered. Who knows about the pills?

We have friends who just returned from a cruise who allowed their 17 YO son to get totally wasted thinking it would teach him a lesson. I wonder what the lesson was? And the friendship is rather tested at this point.

Parenting is the hardest job we will ever have. And the greatest responsibility. I would like to slap those people silly.

Think about the people whose daughter went missing a year or so ago and they didn't notice until the next day. Then they blamed the cruise line.

My patience with those people is VERY limited.

Old April 8th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Captain

I know that the problem you report involved liquor bought in a port and "smuggled" aboard by teens. But, you know, RCI lowered its beer and wine drinking age to 18 a few months ago. Since then, I've wondered if there have been any problems with any of these older teens having a "beer bust" in the ship's bars. Anybody know of any problems with this?
Old April 8th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It must be some kind of an oddity, but in 23 cruises, many of them over holidays (christmas, new years, thanksgiving) I have yet to encounter more than a small handful of underage drinkers. And being in the bar business for as long as I have, I can spot them pretty easily.

My encounters with obnoxious "adults" who've consumed too much alcohol far outweigh the underage encounters.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 8th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Underage drinking

Maybe you missed something here <G> As an adult, I can drink legally and be obnoxious if I choose..........These posters are talking about underage drinking and doping.........probably with parental knowledge. An adult getting stupid drunk does not make underage drinking more tolerable.

Old April 11th, 2002, 12:09 AM
First Mate

On the Carnival Spirit 3/27 - 4/4 I was witness to the underage drinking and partying. Plenty of the outside deck areas smelled like pot and there were young teens obviously drunk. The Dancin' Disco is supposed to be 16 and older after 11:30pm. They did not enforce this at all. They were more concerned with "catching the drinkers". We questioned a security guard just for the heck of it and that is what he told us.

In the women's room near the disco I happened to see some young girls drinking what I recognized as the rum punch from the Jolly Roger party boat from Barbados. I was wondering why on earth anyone would fill tons of empty water bottles with that swill (which was fun to drink at the time but - ohhh man - later that night or the next day? YUCK) on their way off the boat. There was a line and people were filling up water bottles with the rum punch! Well.... there it was, in the bathrooms shoved into girl's purses being shared with their friends!

Then of course comes the obligatory breath fresheners in every variety- .

Ahhh.... the memories of being young and sneaky. It was rather amusing.

Before I left, a short discussion opened up about the teen sexcapades... well I should have taped the drunken hump-fest for you guys at the disco!!

I even saw parents buying the "drink of the day" and pouring it into the regular plastic buffet cups for the teens.

To each his own I suppose. Kids will be kids and all that....

Wouldn't there be serious liability issues for the cruise line had someone underage gotten seriously ill from alcohol over dose?

deja
Old April 13th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Korinne

On the Sovereign of the Seas cruise last month...the curfew for teens was 1am,if not accompanied by an adult . My 17 year old son didn't like it one bit,,,,but too bad,,,his butt
was in our cabin before curfew!!! I told him "sorry" I didn't book this cruise 7 months from now when you turn 18,when you could have stayed out longer!! That's life!! I guess he thought since we were on vacation,the rules would be a little lenient,NOT!!!!!
I wasn't worried about him drinking,taking pills or smoking dope,because he is sincerely a great kid when it comes to not having anything to do with that stuff,but the point is,,,,he still had to follow the SHIPS rules,period!!!
Old April 13th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Deja ...

One thing to remember is that when you step on a ship you just went to a foreign country, such as Liberia. Some US states have very serious "dram laws" about the server of intoxicating beverages being liable for bad things.

It's an interesting question.

Old April 14th, 2002, 10:33 PM
First Mate

You guys sound like you've got it together. The thing I hate is that I often see kids in my practice who have fried their brains (literally) on drugs/alcohol. The new drugs today are worse than almost anything available in the 60s (except a bad trip on LSD). I see people who have memory loss from ecstasy, who have gone psychotic and blinded themselves or worse - never recover from the paranoia. Any parent who allows a minor to use is beneath contempt.
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:54 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Underage drinking

I grew up in an ethnic environment where wine was served with the main meal. Our introduction to it was mixed with ginger ale. Drinking was never a big deal. I've raised my kids basically the same way.

If they want a "taste" or to have a small glass of wine or a sip of a coctail or beer, to me it's no big deal. I feel the bigger the taboo- the more they want to go overboard and indulge. Alcohol is the one legal socially acceptable drug used in our society. It's a fact of life.

Our kids can vote, serve and die for our country and still can't drink until they are 21! Call me too liberal- maybe I am. I feel they need to learn their limits and it's safer for them to learn it in a controlled environment, at home- with their car keys locked away.

Guidance with limits and an open, understanding realistic attitude is one way I find really works to instill a sense of responsibility in my kids.

Will they be falling down drunk making fools of themselves on our next cruise? Hell no! I have raised them all to be well mannered, know their limits and know how to behave in public- in any social situation.

I'm in the medical profession also, and have seen the wasted lives because of drug abuse and addiction.

I'm also a realist. I know that kids experiment- It takes a fine line- an understanding open mind, a relationship built on trust and flexibility to keep a healthy balance.

My kids tell me everything - honestly- then we sit down and talk it out. They have open minds and are willing to listen and absorb. They may not use my wisdom and experience today.... but I know someday those words will be right there with them.

Rules should be obeyed aboard a cruise ship. Although we have payed for our vacations we are still playing in someone else's sandbox. If people get caught breaking the rules they shouldn't complain about the consequences. There are consequences to be paid for breaking rules that extends to our entire existance.

deja