Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2002, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Default RE: People Who Worry

I keep seeing that thread down there and when I replied it didn't flag as new, or if it did- I don't know- lol - I just had to repost it because I felt the message was important. So here it goes- blast away at me as you wish

Sorry to rehash an old post but I have been biting my tongue over this one. When I re-read it tonight I felt compelled to respond.

If I am worried or have concerns it's because on 9/11 I never thought I would ever see my husband again, or even have a chance to say goodbye. My sister's husband was missing most of the day, he ran from the first collapse. Thank God he only suffered minor injuries but the mental trauma will be with him forever. My best friend's husband was killed, she and her 10 month old daughter will never recover fully from the loss.

I was close enough to smell the fire for days. My kids were home for a week from school. Their friends lost parents. My husband lost many friends and collegues. Our world was turned upside down for months. The sorrow and grief in my community was palpable for a very long time.

Your "just get over it" attitude seems callous and uncaring. Yes, we live in a violent world. My children's innocence was stolen and crushed that day, as well as their ability to feel safe leaving home even for short periods of time.

Yes, I got on with things.... I moved on.... I've traveled... but my heart is still heavy and I grieve every day the loss of friends, the loss the financial community (which my family is a part of) suffered, the loss of the towers which now is a gaping hole in the skyline as well as in our souls.

Adding insult to injury was the plane crash in Rockaway which landed on the house of my daughter's boyfriend killing his grandparents.

I'm glad you can just "get over it" and your advice to people who may have been personally involved by these events to "stay home for all you care" is cruel.

I don't think people are "whining"- they may be expressing the stress and trauma that has had lingering effects on many, many people.

I'm not suggesting you change your attitude or even have the capacity to understand what some people experienced- you have the right to feel as you do. I also have the right to disagree and think your remarks were harsh and uncaring.

Peace to you - I'm glad you weren't traumatized.

deja
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: RE: People Who Worry

No blasting from here, Deja.

Friends lost their son (the older brother was killed in a tragic boating accident the summer before).

Another couple, expecting their first baby, lost her father.

Still another friend's husband walked out and began the long trudge home.

I don't think anyone who has been touched by it will ever get over it. No more than my mom (my dad, bless his soul, is dead) will get over WWII or those of us whose brothers were asked to die in Viet Nam will ever get over it.

But we have to move on and hope and pray it never happens again.

Peace up.

Old April 18th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Marnie

Deja,

Do whatever you feel is right. If you're afraid, stay home or don't stay home. Nobody will understand how you feel unless they experience it first hand. I hope I never have to experience it. I remember that day, it was terrifying for everybody. My boyfriend works in the tallest building in Pittsburgh, I was scared. When I heard about the Pentagon, I called him and told him to get out. He was the only one that left at that time, I couldn't believe people weren't evacuating even sooner. The plane that crashed in Pennsylvania was very close to Pittsburgh right about that time, they could have chosen to hit his building.

I'm not going to live in fear, at least not yet, I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing. I'm not going to let a bunch of psychos change my lifestyle. Living to the best of my ability and being happy is what an American is supposed to do. At least that's how I view it. I may not have much time left, I'll make the most of it. If others are terrified, traumatized, still grieving, do what you have to do. Only you know what works for you.

Sorry if this all sounds insensitive, I'm just being honest about how I feel.

Marnie
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Admiral

No one will blast away at you. We all need to deal with these events in our own way and many of us were affected by those events you mentioned and other horrific events in life that occur every day. Grieve in your own way and never forget the love ones and innocent victoms that are lost to these events. That said, do not , if you can, let these events consume your life. There is still much good in the world to turn to , not to help you forget your pain, but to help you work through it. No one who lives in the NY area has to look far to find a friend or loved one that was impacted by the events you mentioned in some way. Reach out to help others who need your help or hold out your hand and someone will take it if you need assistance. That is one way to help to work through some of the pain you feel. Life does go on. I remember just a few years ago at the end of my grandmother's funeral my dad was looking more down than I had seen him in a long time. My daughter took him aside and whispered to him something that made him smile for the first time in days. She had told him something that no one ,not even her husband at that point , knew. She was pregnant with his first great grandchild.
It didn't change the fact that he was still hurting over his loss, but, it did add a joy to the moment and a realization to the idea that we can't stop life from moving along.
Bless you and happy cruising to all.
Old April 19th, 2002, 12:44 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: RE: People Who Worry

Bill,
Thank you for sharing that touching story, I got tears in my eyes reading it. We've just booked our next cruise for October, and I'm going to fly! It's time to get on with it.
Some days are hard and some seem to be just the way they should be.

Some days I still worry about my husband being in the Wall Street area- other days it's not an issue.

Life does go on and I know that living it to the fullest is the best way to honor those who never made it home that day.

Peace to you and yours - and happy cruising -
deja