Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2002, 09:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Why do people who hate people cruise?

Some of the post I have read give the sence that people hate people. They are always on the defensive and waiting for an enpending battle. No respect for each other and the hell with you. So why do people want to travel with three thousand others? Some times you have to look the other way at things, but not at children throwing food, drunk teens and flashing tarts. The cruise industry and created something special for us and to see people turn a wonderful vacation into hell is rather sad. People should not have to stop eating at their table in the dinning room because of unruly kids throwing food. Many of my fellow cruisers have the correct attitude. It's better to walk away than fight over something like seats and ruin a good mood. No one needs to see the same person(s) again on board and recieve dirty looks or some not very choice words.
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2002, 11:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1
Default Re: Why do people who hate people cruise?

I have been reading these posts for several months and I don't get that impression. What I do get, is that these people have walked away from situations, or ignored them so not to ruin thier cruise. This is the place for people to come and gripe and get it off their chest/mind. I choose to ignore unruly kids and adults, the chair/seat saving, and the not so friendly staff you sometimes encounter while I am vacationing, but this is a good place for me to vent some postponed anger without ruining my vacation.
Old April 18th, 2002, 06:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

My post was not about people who gripe but the people they encounter. Many of them have had bad experiences. People' actions toward each other from the post I have read are rather mean spirited. Dumping one's drink on their shoes and clothing is one perfect example. Smoking where you shouldn't and getting so drunk you make an ass out of your self and intrude on the privacy of another. So I ask that question again, why do people who dislike others go on a cruise?
Old April 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Why do people who hate people cruise?

They do it because this is the way they are. Whether cruising, dealing with neighbors,
dealing with coworkers ,their children's teachers and school administrators etc etc .
These are the people who pull up in the handicapped space because they will only be a minute, the people who barge to the head of the line wherever and whenever they choose to do so because their time is more important than yours. Normally, you would run into these people once in your life or rarely "around town". On a cruise ship, let's face it a rather confined space, you will see them repeat that same behavior every day. The vast majority of people you run into will be quite wonderful people. The same guy will be drunk in the same lounge all seven nights of your cruise. The same kids will be unruly at the table next to yours on 7 nights (maybe that is why people like Personal Choice). The same kids will run uncontrolled throughout the ship every day and it will be the same kids in the hot tub every day. The same rude passengers will be rude every day and the same guy will smoke wherever he feels the urge . It is magnified because of the close proximity of life aboard the ship. Best thing to do is not sweat that stuff if possible and enjoy the overwhelming majority of people and activities that are offered that allow you to avoid this behavior. Focus on the extraordinary service of your waiter, the wonderful new friends from far away that you get to dine with each evening and the fantastic new places your ship takes you each day. Then, come back to this board and vent . Do not let "I'm on vacation and I'm going to do whatever I please" people get to you. Happy cruising to all.
Old April 18th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Guess that I have been lucky, but I have never encountered people like you describe above in my 15 cruises. This includes five cruises on Carnival ships. Of course, all of our cruises have been at times when most children and college students are in school. The people I have met have been as friendly as Texans! And that's friendly, pardner.
Old April 18th, 2002, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think Bill is right, you will find people like you described everywhere, they do cruise too. I don't let other people bad behavior get in the way of enjoying my vacation time, if thats they way they want to spend their time, so be it, I won't let it bother me, I leave that stuff at home.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 19th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, this space is to vent. And yes the behavior you see that you don't like, is normal for the people who are behaving that way. We encountered some bad behavior but certainly not enough to ruin our cruise. We also made new friends who live near us and who we will see again. And, that is absolutely the best.

Margie
Old April 30th, 2002, 06:22 PM
MaryEllen

As the saying goes, "Don't sweat the small stuff" and, really don't let them ruin a cruise.

M
Old May 4th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Captain

Default Re: I guess we've been lucky.

In our eight cruises over ten years on various lines in various price categories, we've never encountered any fellow guests who were unruly or whose behavior was inappropriate in any way. Instead, our fellow guests have always been friendly, lots of fun, and did nothing more unruly than perhaps laughing too loud after a few rum punches (which is not unruly at all). It does worry me when I read a growing number of posts about the food and furniture throwing, vandalism, and such. But we've seen none of it, and hope our luck holds out!
Old May 6th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Tigger

My husband and I keep to ourselves, we cruise to spend quality time with each other, we don't let people/things bother us. I could never understand why some people get so agitated over what other's do on a cruise. We've been on 5 cruises and have had a wonderful time on all of them. We have become experts at tuning out and ignoring offensive people/kids/things, life is way too short to let others ruin your vacation.