Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 18th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Marnie

Default how long is too long to hold a deck chair?

Just curious about all the gripes about chair hogs. How long is it acceptable to reserve a chair before you're labled a deck chair? Is a 1/2 hour in the pool or hot tub too long? What about an hour. I'm probably guilt of that. Sometimes I swim for a while and don't really want a chair, I just want a place to put my towel, shoes, shorts where Pina Colada's won't get spilled on them.
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: how long is too long to hold a deck chair?

I think a 1/2 hour is just about right. That way you can jump in the pool, or relax in the hot tub for a bit , and not lose your spot.

What really chaps me is when people go up on deck at 6am and reserve lounge chairs, and then go back to bed for a couple of hours, eat breakfast in the dining room, then go back to their cabins to change into their swim suits, and finally make it to their lounge chairs at 11am!

I'd really like to see the deck staff enforce a 1/2 hour limit, so that everyone has a fair chance at a lounge chair.

I'd also like to see the deck staff enforce other rules, too. Like unruly kids running around, the parents of said kids, loud obnoxious behaviour, and so on.............

Well, I can dream, can't I............!

Dean
Old April 18th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Admiral

I don't think that those who comment about deck chair hogs are referring to your actions at all. If you come on deck and are using the pool , of course you will need a place for your stuff while you swim. However.go for a morning stroll before breakfast and watch people, fully dressed , come out and put two towels and a paper back book on a pair of "prime" chairs that they have no intention of occupying until 11 oclock. Or, watch a couple get up to go back to their cabin to change for lunch and listen to them say that they'll come back to the chairs when bingo is over at 4:30. Or perhaps watch someone go over and spread "stuff" out on a prime outdoor table at 10:30 so they'll have a good place to eat when they go to the buffet at 1:30. One of my favorate cruise activities is people watching. I love to watch the chair hogs and I love to watch the people trying to figure out whether the chairs are truly "taken" or not. That said, this is really small stuff and just something some of us enjoy griping about. Griping is fun it keeps you from taking most of this stuff too seriously when you are actually cruising.
Be careful if you move someone's towel, it might belong to Rick and he won't be happy about that.
Old April 18th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Jim Munkitrick

You are using a deck chair, not reserving chairs for the 82nd Airborne.
Old April 18th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: how long is too long to hold a deck chair?

All senior citizens, especially with walkers, beware......do not mess with my towel <G> Actually, this has never been a real prob for Deb and me.....we don't spend much time around the pool.....seems like we are always doing something else. I think people, like Bill described "reserving" chairs are a little strange to put that much energy into holding a chair.

Not gonna let me forget the chair remark are you Bill??? lol

Old April 18th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Admiral

I just don't have time to use deck chairs very often. There is too many other things that I would rather do. I do get all the sun I need by walking three miles each morning on the track.
Old April 18th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I agree, I think a half an hour is a good time limit if you are taking a swim or in the hot tub. I have no gripe with that at all, in fact I'm guilty of that as well :-) Although, if I leave to go eat lunch, I give up the chair for someone else and return to find another one after lunch, seem fair to me.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 18th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I'm a bit more generous and think that an hour is reasonable as one might spend a little time in and out of the hot tub, pool, and then grab a bite or maybe just tlak to someone but if the chair stays empty for over an hour, the stuff needs to be removed and the chair is up for grabs. I'm not a big nut about getting a chair right against the pool but I do want a place to sit every once in awhile so chair savers beware, the Robocop is not above enforcing the one hour limit, especially when it looks like they never sat down once!
Jim

Old April 19th, 2002, 09:49 AM
biggest daddy

Who exactly is going to time over a thousand passengers? Do you get to tag up and start over again? This stuff sounds great until you read it aloud. You will always have people who think the ship is their's and their's only. RCCl has made it so convenient for smokers to smoke on one side and non smokers to be on the other side of the deck, It is marked very clearly. The same chair hogs are the same people who cut all lines, smoke in non smoking areas and let their kids roam freely through the night. The great thing about rude people is they make the others look so much better.

I will say that as long as you don't reserve the entire area(saw that alot last week on explorer) You should be able to get on deck early and stay with your stuff while your family gets a cup of coffee.
Old April 19th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

My personal favorite: a large group that reserves one set of chairs in the sun and one in the shade.
Old April 19th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

And I especially hate the ones who reserve a chair by the pool and then disappear. As a mom of an 8 yo who likes to spend great time in the pool, I would like to sit next to the pool to keep an eye on him, but most of the people who are either by the pool, or who have just reserved a "prime" chair, NEVER go in the pool. There are plenty of chairs elsewhere on deck. If you aren't going in - go somewhere else so those who want to use the pool can put their stuff down BY the pool.
Old April 20th, 2002, 12:53 PM
marnie

I get a kick out of the people who sit as close to the pool as possible then complain when they get splashed. Isn't that the point? When it's 90 degrees, I hope I get splashed. If you don't want to get splashed, sit further away from the pool.
Old April 20th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Dean Renner

Marnie,

Speaking of being splashed, I was a Sea World in San Diego a few years ago, and a mid 30's couple sat down in the very clearly marked "Soak Zone", in which you will be completely soaked by the performing animals.

Well, they are sitting there with their expensive-looking video camera, and when the whale came along and soaked them -- and the camera! They were very vocal about their displeasure!

I thought it was a little humourous -- but hey, they were warned.............

Dean
Old April 21st, 2002, 09:14 AM
marnie

Dean,

That's really sad. How can anyone be 30 years old and not know what the "soak zone" means? I've never been to Sea World but I know what it means. You'd have to live under a rock to be that clueless. And they were probably wearing dryclean only clothes. Oh well, let that be a lesson. Sounds like you got some additional entertainment for free.
Old April 22nd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Admiral

I like the time limit. The pool attendant can be the enforcer. Or perhaps, we can use one of the unruly little darlings that nobody brings on board to save the chair until we get back from the bar with our cigarettes. When the unruly little darling that doesn't belong to anybody gets bored and leaves we can offer the fat guy in the speedo another pound of chocolate cake to save the chairs while we sneak cameras onto the topless deck. Then when we are discovered rubbernecking on the topless deck we can cannonball from there into the pool splashing everybody around the pool. When everyone gets up there are plenty of new chairs available. Go for round two!

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 22nd, 2002, 01:01 PM
First Mate

Dang, even little kids know what soak zone means...I would have laughed my head off!!!