Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to cruisinmelo Send a message via Yahoo to cruisinmelo
Default Just One More About Kids...

I'm new to this board and have booked our first family trip since the loss of my husband. My kids & I will be on Victory late this summer. Hubby loved to cruise & I am so glad we "went for it" each of the voyages.

Just wanted to comment on the lively rude kids & people discussion.My son, now 10, was on 3 cruises before age 5. He was always an active kid. In preparation for all our cruises with him - beginning at 3 on the-then Dreamward, along with everything else, I prewrapped at least 25 little toys or books in leftover wrapping paper. No item was over $5, most were $1 or $2. I had a couple handy at all times. This kid sat through 2 hour dinners without a hitch. Waiter timed every kids entree with our courses. No cooperation - no little giftie.
My thinking was this - when hubby & I were childless, we chose more "adult" lines. When our son was born, we chose others. If we were spending all this money on a cruise, shouldn't I spent a few weeks and a few bucks - looking for interesting little toys to help ensure no other passengers - including ourselves - were disturbed by him? He was the darling of the ship in many cases and I honestly don't think he is any better or (too much) worse than other kids.
Now the drunk in the tight Speedo - that is why we didn't cruise certain lines for many years..but that's another story....
Thanks for being here - I look forward to reading much more more and posting my experiences and questions, too!

Old April 19th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Just One More About Kids...

Hi Cruisinmelo,
What a great idea for cruising with kids, hope others will give that a try :-)

I'm also glad to hear you are going ahead and cruising with your kids, I'm sure your late husband would approve from what you've mentioned, just go and have a ball. I too have cruised with my kids when they were younger and never had a problem with them, basically the same rules apply while on vacation as at home, only a lot more fun!

Thanks again for you tip for cruising with kids!

Old April 19th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Marnie

Wow, a belching drunk in a tight speedo, I'm sorry I missed it. I'd be the nut chasing him around the ship with a camera. Then people would be posting gripes about me.
Old April 19th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Just One More About Kids...

lol......Just had a good laugh visualizing you doing that. Thanks

Old April 19th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Passenger

The idea of little gifts is a good one. I just may try that for our upcoming cruise. Sometimes I use the dessert as the gift. You know the old "sit down and eat your dinner and you can have dessert afterwards" trick. My daughter loves to draw so we never go out to eat without paper and crayons.
Old April 25th, 2002, 11:11 AM
4 cruisers

I finally met another "Mom" who did what I did for years!!! He's now almost 22 yrs. old!. It worked like a charm! THEN after 12 years of not being able to have a second child, our little surprise wild child was born! We still managed without bothering anyone at any time (quick exits!) but this kid actually said to me "I don't like those presents." He meant it. He's 10 now and is the most personable child! He told me after our last trip that he actually made more "old people" for friends than kids and he actually likes it that way! Maybe when I was bothering him with childish gifts, he was more interested in seeing the people!!! Boy are they all different!

Nice to meet another Mom who is "with it!" (I used to bring wrapped goodies for friend's toddlers too so we could have a good chat!).

Happy cruising!
Nanette
Old April 30th, 2002, 06:18 PM
MaryEllen

Lord is it a good thing to read such intelligent advice. Good cruising to you!

ME