Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Sue Sue

Default Solution to deck chair saving?

How about a standard answer and response from all of the seasoned cruisers.
"Well, I will only be needing the chair for a short period of time and will use it until the party returns, as we both know, saving deck chairs for long periods of time is not only frowned upon, it's rude." Or, go to a cruise line employee and demand they find you a chair. You have paid to sit in a chair on the deck and it is the ship staff's responsibility to find you one. If you have a chair and will be leaving it for a short period of time for perhaps a swim, refreshment or potty break, how about a tag indicating you will be gone briefly. Of course indicating the time you left and will be returning in 15 or 30 minets Just a thought folks, what are the pro's and con's????
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Solution to deck chair saving?

Hi Sue,
Sounds like a decent plan to me, but then again, if any plan will work, it has to be enforced. This is my all time gripe about cruising, see it on all cruises, especially bad on those great "sea" days. Lets hope the major cruiselines are paying attention :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 28th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Admiral

And watch the tag sit on the chair for 2 hours after the party left it! I doubt that is any different than leaving a towel and book. Then maybe I misunderstood your idea.

I'd prefer for the pool attendant to tag the chair and say the articles saving the chair will be moved to lost and found at, say, 1:30, making the chair available. The policy onboard should be a chair that has been vacant for 15 minutes gets tagged. Fifteen minutes should be long enough for someone to take a swim, go to the room for a bathroom break, have a drink at the bar, etc. and then add on to that the 20 minutes or so the chair is tagged and a person has over a half hour for lunch, shopping, shower and change of clothes, but not enough time for an hour nap in the room, an hour massage, etc.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 28th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Sue Sue

I must say in all of the comment letters I have written to Carnival after every cruise, I have never added that they need to enforce a time limit on chairs. This is an oversight I will correct . If we don't let the powers that be know what we as consumers (and therefore providing their paycheck) they will continue on as if there is no problem. And I like your idea Thomas, your idea puts the responsibility in the hands of the right person (s). As a guest, a person shouldn/t have to enforce policy. Of course, common courtesy should be followed regardless, but, that's a laugh most of the time. Hey, I have an idea. What about a deck chair that a person must swipe their Sail and Sign to use. It will charge by the minute of use from the first swipe when you arrive to the second swipe when you are finished with the chair. The automatic tag will say available or occupied. If you want to keep the chair for the day, go for it, but it will cost you!!! Now folks, don't be taking my idea and running it to the patent office. And if you must, could I pleaseI at least have a little bit of the profits OK?? Just enough for a cruise or two!!! You can have the rest. What do y'all think?
Old April 29th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Solution to deck chair saving?

I like it! Pay as you go.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 29th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Sissybug

Just what we need, another hidden charge! :> I cannot imagine sitting very long in a deck chair in the sun, I am too out of shape and too pale. . .don't want to frighten the children.

Shelly
Old April 30th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Sue Sue

Shelly, Same here. However, we could be chair partners with anyone who doesn't want kids around on a cruise. There you go folks, buddy up and those bothersome children will stay away! And, what hidden charges are you talking about Shelly? I thought all of those "ching ching's" on my sail and sign card statement were necessities! Or perhaps, they are opportunites for service from my cruiseline? Yea, opportunties to say, "What was I thinking?" Overall, I feel that the costs for cruising is fair for the vacation experience. Sue
Old May 10th, 2002, 11:53 PM
travelitis

Deck Chair Secret Police

Chair saving is rude and annoying, but I can fend for myself here. No need to have deck chair parking tickets and towing zones. This may solve the problem for some, but there are others who would be griping that the cruise line's clock was wrong or that they were only 2 min. late and their things were lost. Let's keep this simple, folks. I say an auto ejection system. When you sit down the timer starts. At the 2 hour mark, more than enough time to get 3rd degree burns, the lounger springs up ejecting occupant and belongings onto the deck. If the occupant has left their belongings unattended then they launch out to sea. Then the cruiseline doesn't waste labor on babysitting chairs and can focus on the big stuff -- buffets, deck parties, kary - hokey, art auctions, etc. (The offender also gets to pay a lost towel fee.)
Old May 11th, 2002, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Solution to deck chair saving?

Hey Travelitis,
Great one, love it. Unfortunately I can actually sit out there in the sun for a few more hours than that :-) I guess I could just pay like a toll or something to continue my lounge chair time?? The secret is to go to the tanning spa about a month before cruise, and go one to two times a week for 20 minutes, great way to get that base tan, then I do not burn, works for me, but also use caution when in the spa and out on deck, definitely use a high sun screen :-)

Love your idea though!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 15th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Sue Sue

Donna, Easy answer to your problem. Purchase the Platinum chair membership. Extended hours, personalized chair ID, prime chair deck location... This membership caters to folks like you who take sunning very seriously and enjoy catching the rays. For folks like me the Basic silver membership is adequate. Thirty minute increment for a one time charge. No other special benefits other than you are guarenteed a chair when you want it.