Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 6th, 2002, 02:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fed Up with LOWEST PRICED CRUISES websites

Why are they all allowed to scream in capital letters that they have the lowest priced cruises when they don't? Some say they are wholesale. Some say they are at cost plus $25.00. I went to 10 websites that said they had the lowest price and used their "Request a quote" service. I gave a specific ship,date,category,deck and exact cabin number that I was interested in. Out of the 10, three never answered and it has been over a week. The others gave quotes of $1,310...$1,179 ...$1,167...$1,157...$1,140 and the one I went with: $1,100. The tenth website asked me to wait until I had all my quotes and then email telling them the lowest price I had received. They would then beat that price. I emailed the $1,100 quote using the form on their website. A man emailed back saying "Call me if you are interested in booking this cruise". No mention of what price he could give me. Meanwhile, these places are now calling me to get me to book with them. You have to fill out forms with your name/address/phone number when you request a quote. Lesson learned: Type in your computer phone line number if you have one seperate from your home phone so that you won't be bugged by them calling. So anyway, my gripe is why are these (all well known) cruise websites allowed to say that they have the lowest prices when they really don't?
Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Fed Up with LOWEST PRICED CRUISES websites

Just old fashioned horse trading! You don't really believe everything you read do you?

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Mindy,
I've also noticed that same kinds of advertizing with cars and many other things, its just that advertizing. Its up to us to weed out the legit ones and find a travel agent that you like and will work for you, they are out there, we just have to find them. Good Luck.

One other thing you may want to try, is the "bargan finder" here at Cruisemates. These travel agents will only e-mail you with what they have, so you won't get those annoying phone calls all the time. I've used it in the past with a lot of success, you may get a few with the general speil about giving them a call and they don't give you any specifics on what you are asking for, but most of them will be with what you want, so give that a try and see how it works:

http://www.cruisemates.com/findcruise/index.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 6th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Holly

Anytime I have to post/give a number that I believe will result in numerous marketing calls I give my dedicated computer/fax line. Let the jerks deal with that. I know these places sell their "lists" and I don't want or need more phone sales people calling me. We NEVER answer the computer/fax line and have call waiting on our main line. We have never given anyone this number so the call can not be anything I want/need to deal with. Therefore, I WILL NOT!!
Old May 10th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to KSTAZMAN

My TA beats all the sights by hundreds of dollars. Have no reason to go to the web. Just for the fun of the boards. She studies all the info that comes to them and finds us the best deals. Then tells us when and where we are going. It does help that she`s a friend of over 20 years
Old May 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Fed Up with LOWEST PRICED CRUISES websites

Hey can you send me you ta name and phone number.........some agents are on the ball but I found most of them just don't know how to do their job.

thanks
Old June 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Spikey

Default Re: Re: Fed Up with LOWEST PRICED CRUISES websites

The best way to buy a cruise is from a cruise only agent that works independently. You get one person that you work with exclusively start to finish and these agents are able to discount your cruise. They typically work from home on a part time basis and have no "overhead" so they can discount the commission so they make a little and you save quite a bit. The companies like Cruise One, Cruise.Com, Orbitz, etc, etc do NOT discount the pricing. The internet pricing is a joke as I have also "shopped" and in many cases they don't even bother replying. When they do reply, many have been so poorly written with misspelled words, etc it makes you wonder if the lack of attention to detail will also carry over to your cruise booking! Just like anything else you would purchase do your homework and ask for referrals from friends/family. I found a great cruise travel agent via Cruisemate's Bargain Finder and will use her exclusively from now on - knowledgable, returns calls promptly, great rates (I shopped them!), offered alternatives, etc.