Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 29th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Default Cabin Clocks

As in, WHERE are they? I realize some cruisers prefer not to be reminded of what time it is as they relax the cruise away. I realize that a snooze radio alarm clock might not be financially practical for the cruise line (wear out quickly, grow legs and "walk" away, etc). BUT, would not a sturdy wall mounted clock make it easy to glance at and quickly determine when it's getting close to time to eat, time to enjoy a show, time to meet friends, time to leave for the shore excursion?

Yes, I bring a travel alarm clock, two of them in fact. And I wear my watch 24/7. But a clock would still be nice.

I have cruised on Carnival, Celebrity, NCL, and RCI and I have yet to see a clock.
Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Cabin Clocks

I agree. We bring along a digital alarm clock but it always seems to lose minutes when plugged in and has to be reset nightly to the correct time.
Old May 29th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Admiral

This is a legitimate gripe. For the most part, a clock isn't necessary, but what about that last day when they want you out of your cabin by 8:00 a.m.?

Michelle B.

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Admiral

I always bring a clock along with me too. But as soon as I step on board it stops working!!!! If I throw it against the wall it says it's time to eat. If I stuff it in the drawer it says it's time to drink. If I hide it in the luggage it says it's time to gamble. That thing travels more in my cabin than a cabin steward on a double contract.

Then when I step off the ship it starts telling time again. It's the darndest thing!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Cabin Clocks

I think the problem with "simple wall clocks" in staterooms is just that many ships have several changes of time during a voyage. While the ship's display clocks are automatically reset, this would be quite a costly affair to add in every stateroom. I suppose that no clock at all is better than one that will be wrong frequently during a sailing.
Old May 29th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Cabin Clocks

"I suppose that no clock at all is better than one that will be wrong frequently during a sailing."...............ErnieMCC

I agree Ernie, and a broken clock is also better because at least it's right twice a day regardless of the time zone.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 29th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Have to agree, putting clocks in the cabins would be a great item, I just have to rely on my watch, which means brings along that little flash light. I always knew it would come in handy, but clocks would be wonderful!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 29th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I bring along my own travel alarm. Problem is you can' t set her, and her alarm sound awfully similar to a snore.

Old May 29th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Admiral

Gee guys ... travel clocks come in all shapes and sizes and are easily reset to reflect the different time zones. Much easier for you to bring a clock! Kuki's solution is pretty novel, too.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old May 30th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Just look at the clock on the phone. It's reset automatically with all the time changes.

And there's no problem with wake-up calls.

Old May 30th, 2002, 03:10 PM
Passenger

True, the telephone has a clock with the correct time, but it's impossible to see from either the vanity area or peeking out of the bathroom door to see how much longer you have to get ready. You have to be right on top of the phone to see the clock. I take a travel alarm and be sure it's sitting in plain sight--can't be late for dinner!!! As far as whether the alarm actually works on mine.....that's still a mystery. I'm a chronic insomniac and woke up every morning before the alarm went off. My friend was ready to strangle me last week on the Century. I bet next cruise (Jan 2003) she'll force feed me some Nytol.

Bottom line, take a clock along just so you'll be on time to dinner and/or shows and to be sure you're up and out by 8:00 the last dreadful morning.
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:43 AM
Admiral

When I went on the Jubilee three weeks ago, the wake-up call system was not working. I had brought along an alarm clock, but didn't find out until the cruise that the alarm didn't work. At least we could easily tell what time it was. It was a miracle we got up in time the last day. Next time I'll test the alarm before I leave!

Michelle B.

Old June 1st, 2002, 11:44 PM
Admiral

Mermaid,

On Princess, your stateroom television will display the time and current weather if you tune it to the bridge information channel. There's also a free wake-up feature on the stateroom telephone that's connected to the ship's clocks.

Norm.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 07:18 PM
TomS

I have a talking alarm clock I bought at Radio Shack. The thing even has a thermometer built in. When I was on Paradise, I could legitimately complain that my cabin was 65 degrees, and not just, "IT"S COLD IN HERE!"

You got to love any alarm clock that can play, "The Sound of Silence" as a wake-up tune (you know, "Hello darkness, my old friend....."
Old June 4th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Dean Renner

Hey, my alarm clock plays the Notre Dame Victory March -- as a Notre Dame fan, you gotta love it!!

Dean
Old August 2nd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Beginner

Just wanted to try out my signature line to see if it's working. Testing....testing!

Old August 2nd, 2002, 08:20 PM
Beginner

One more time!