Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Default cell phones!

This isn't a big gripe... more an observation, really. But on my last cruise I couldn't help but notice several people talking on cell phones on deck. It bothered me for a few reasons... first, it took away from the feeling of "escape" a cruise provides, and reminded me too much of the rat race I was trying to get away from. Second, it felt like these people were trying to impress everyone with "look how important I am; someone desperately wants to talk to me about my business in the middle of my Caribbean cruise." Third... hello, people? You're on VACATION! Turn off the phone! Now gently set it down... back away slowly... that's not so bad, is it?!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:11 AM
Dean Renner

Default Re: cell phones!

Michelle,

I agree! When I'm on a cruise, I want to totally immerse my self in the experience -- and leave the phone at home!

Dean
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:11 AM
maryk

I totally agree with you. An in addition to cell phones, what about laptops? Geez, you are on vacation, give yourself a break! You are not that important.
Old May 31st, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

My cell phone didn't even work beyond the U.S. ports. However, if I needed to use it I certainly needed to use it. The cruise was scheduled way in advance of the events unfolding at home. Not to go into great detail, but when your construction project is held up for 10 days because the contractor doesn't know if you want A or B and can't get in touch with you it costs big time dollars. And multiple crews are sitting on their hands getting paid while waiting for an answer.

Believe me, I don't WANT to take a cell phone.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:40 PM
Pooh Bear

My cell phone was a god-send during last year's Hawaii cruise....

I'll never again judge a person with a cell phone on vacation!

We had booked Infinity months and months in advance for an 11 day April cruise to Hawaii. I just purchased my first cell phone the previous December 10.

Everyone and everything here at home was fine when we booked the cruise. No problem! However, in November, my elderly mother became extremely ill. Her illness progressed to the point that I really thought seriously about cancelling our cruise. However, the rest of the family encouraged us to continue on with our plans.

The cell service that I purchased prior to the cruise was a National calling plan thru Verizon with no long distance or roaming charges and included Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands in the plan. I thank God everyday that I had that phone because I was able to call home and speak with my mother every day that we were not at sea. (I was amazed at how well that phone worked from Hawaii back to the mainland!)

I, too get annoyed at people using cell phones in public, but I will never judge anyone again for using a cell phone while on vacation - you just don't know what their circumstances are.....being able to talk most everyday to my mom sure helped ease my mind and thus enabled me to relax and enjoy the cruise.

Pooh Bear
Old May 31st, 2002, 12:46 PM
Admiral

We normally wouldn't use our cell phone on a cruise, but last Sept. 11th while in St Thomas on the Century, we sure made use of it, as well as loaning it to other passengers. Then, celebrity allowed free ship to shore phone calls for the rest of the cruise, so we put it away. Other than that, I don't even want to see one when I'm on vacation!
Old May 31st, 2002, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Two things -

For the first time, I left my cell phone at home before we left for the Spirit. I WILL NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT IT AGAIN! For all of those who read my prior posts about the cancellation, you can understand how much simpler it would have been for us to have had my phone with me instead of having to find working payphones and using calling cards.

Also, my brother was cruising with us and brought his phone (he was in Chicago while we were in SLC). He was going to be away from his wife and 3 sons, ages 4 months, 4 yrs, 6 yrs, for 17 days and wanted to be able to talk with them a couple of times. The reception is better out on deck than it is in the cabin. He is also a doctor and needed to be able to contact and/or be contacted by the doctor that was doing rounds and taking care of his patients for him while he was gone. There are some professions that even when on vacation, require that you be reachable.

I doubt that anyone was trying to show off by having a cell phone - they are such commonplace in society that no one anymore views them as a status symbol.

Please do not make general assumptions or judgements about people prior to having all the facts.

Old May 31st, 2002, 02:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: cell phones!

Well said Jodi.

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I also took my phone on the Let's Get Lei'd cruise to Hawaii. I loved being able to chat with my daughter several afternoons (her evening). She and I are very close, and I would have loved to have her along with us. I was also able to check in with my elderly parents and my doggy a couple of times. Laugh if you will, but these things are important to me, not to be confused with thinking myself to be self-important.
jennifer
Old June 1st, 2002, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Whats a cell phone? Should I get one?

Old June 1st, 2002, 01:03 AM
First Mate

I wish I didn't have one. I still can't figure out why my wife wants one.
Old June 1st, 2002, 07:41 AM
Admiral

You get one when you're thrown in jail. After you're let out of the cell you can keep it as a reminder.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 1st, 2002, 09:34 AM
Captain

Actually, I'd never lay around the pool and talk on the phone, cell or otherwise. But if you are cruising in an area where you have coverage, calling friends, family, and others via cell phone from your cabin is a convenient and cost-saving altrnative to use of the ship's phone or use of some of the pay phones in some of the ports. In too many areas, we don't have coverage for US cell phones yet. I think it's just a matter of time -- or at least hop so.
Old June 1st, 2002, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Guilty of bringing a cell phone on cruises, AND a laptop. And I'll bring'em AGAIN.

Believe me, I not once thought about work, other than wonder how my co-worker is...which just happens to be one of my best buds. You do get better reception out on deck, and I enjoy briefly checking in with my family and close friends and sharing my trip with them. Don't want to use $$$ ship's phone, or waste my port time looking for a pay phone.

But I don't carry it with me on a cruise, it's taken out just to make specific calls, or check for emergency messages.

Laptop was brought for digital photo downloading, etc.
Old June 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
donnajo

Forget the cell phones, it's the two way radios that drove us nuts on our last cruise!
Every teenager on the ship had one and they weren't checking in with their parents.
The parents gave theirs to the kids friends and they would run up and down the halls with them conversing throughout the ship. Wouldn't be so bad, but they were turned up full blast! The cell phones would have been a god send!
Old June 1st, 2002, 08:30 PM
Admiral

When we arrived at PHL and Queeg discovered that he'd left all the keys in an airport, I was totally grateful for the guy who loaned a phone so I could wake up my brother to unlock the house.

And it was totally sweet of the Merms to offer the use of their cellphone to call my mom on Mothers Day. The time didn't work out and Mom probably wouldn't have remembered anyway.
Old June 3rd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Admiral

I guess I should clarify my comments, since I started this thread... I have a cell phone and wouldn't leave home without it. It's a great thing to have for emergencies. I didn't mean to give off a judgemental air or offend anyone. Like I said, it's not even a gripe really, just a minor observation. Of course there are occasions which make inexpensive contact with folks back home a necessity. What bothers me are loud, frivolous conversations that intrude into my sense of space and privacy, my quiet enjoyment of my vacation. It's quite possible to use a cell phone without being obnoxious about it, but some people just haven't mastered that art.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old June 3rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I don't have to be on vacation to encounter those people - they are everywhere at home. Restaurants, movies, office buildings, sidewalk, etc... What I ignore at home I can more easily ignore on vacation...

Jodi

Old June 6th, 2002, 08:05 AM
jjax

Hi--
I agree 100 % - i was cruising on the pride with my parents and my cell phone kept me in touch back home with husband who was unable to cruise with us due to recent back surgery. My goal was not to appear self important- who cares cellphones are a dime a dozen-I just wanted to stay in touch!!! I felt bad enough going without him ( he insisted !!)- let alone not talking to him all week !!
Thanx--
j
Old June 9th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Beginner

I say no phones on deck and at meals. (Nothing worse than a ringing cell phone at meals!) Talk all you want in your room, and when carrying it around, keep it on vibrate. If someone calls, go to a place with little or no people and talk. (That is if the person on the other end is yacking about work then i wouldnt reccomend ruining your vacation.) But I would bring it in case of emergency.
Old June 11th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Limey-Neil

You guys count your blessings. As a Brit I would have to spend a fortune on a tri-band phone, I cant use the phone in North America anyway!!!!! Chad, Kiribati or Bangladesh-I can gossip for hours, arrive in Skagway-I'm lost!!!!!!!!
Old June 12th, 2002, 11:07 PM
CruisingJuly

Almost everyone has a cell phone nowadays. It really is no big deal as long as the phone users are not intruding onto other passengers. Yes, you go on vacation to get away, but who cares why they are using their phones as long as they're not bothering other passengers. You'd be dumb to not carry your cell phone with you especially if you run into an emergency during your vacation!
Old June 14th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Captain

Well, here's the big problem We cruisers have been getting "riped off" for phone service for far too long. Think the ship's $6.50 to $15.00 a minute is high? Well, we did too untill we called from some credit card phones in Barbados clearly marked $.25 per minute, and were later billed at the rate of $35 per minute! Protested that and got it removed, but how many just paid it? You see, some of these tourist traps are refusing to use the US cell phone software and frequencies, and putting us at their mercies. That is, until some US company figures out that we can put a sattellight right over them, which their "piper cub" air force has no chance of shooting down. It will come!

Now, this does not mean that any of us should have exended conversations in the dining room, etc. Manners require that if we get a call, we go outside to talk on it.,so as not to disturb others. But understand that many of us cruisrs have elderly relatives, children, business, and other things at home that simply cannot be left to what little there is of shipboard communications. If I am fortunate enough to be cruising where some "banana republic" hasn't blocked my cell phone, I will carry it, use it, but will not disturb others with it.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 08:42 PM
Gerald

Cell phone provide great peace of mind to parents on the first vacation without the kids and provide cheap and convenient acess to confirm rental cars, tours and etc before the ship lets you off. Took voisestream to Hawaii and used it daily in or near ports. Of course I would place it on vibrate in shows or dinners. The Laptop was great for DVD's on the Long flight to HI. Also, when attached to my GPS allowed me to keep track of our position.
Old July 13th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

we are going on a cruise and I wanted my teenager to bring her phone so she could keep in contact with me on the ship. Will the charge still be just as high if we call phone to phone do you think. we won't be calling off ship or anything.
Old July 13th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Re: cell phones!

Hi Helene,

Unfortunately, your cellular telephones will not function on the ship while it is at sea. The cellular telephone is basically a two-way radio that can, via radio waves, access the land-line telephone system. You will need to be within 2 miles of a cellular tower on land in order for your cellular telephone to function.

You and your daugher might want to look into purchasing those new walkie-talkie radios and keep in touch that way.

Best of luck!

Dean
Old July 13th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: cell phones!

On some ships those two way radios are available for rent. I think they are in the neighborhood of $9.00 per day.

Regards,
Thomas
Old July 23rd, 2002, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Default Re:You need PocketMail

All you Guys need PocketMail.

Its a Mobile e-mail and works almost every where. You can send and receive your emails from anywhere. It cost about US$250 for a PocketMail device including 1 year of unlimited email. Its also sends fax. Best of all its silent so it doesn't bother anybody.

Check it out pocketmail.com

Donnie