Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2002, 07:18 AM
Jenn#1

Default FBI and Scuba

I am sure many of you have heard that the FBI is now questioning scuba shops around the U.S. due to the fact that along with flying lessons, the terrorists also seemed to be taking scuba lessons. This could make cruise ships a very real target. I don't think anyone should stay home or live in fear, but I don't think we should get to comfortable either. We should not be sitting ducks, we should always be aware of what is happening around us.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: FBI and Scuba

Jenn,
There are people that dive the ships while they are in port looking for anything suspicious so it is very doubtful they could do anything. This has been normal procedure since 9/11
Jim

Old June 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Admiral

Last October we went snorkeling on a tour out of St. Thomas. The guide was a divemaster from one of the larger operations on the Island. He had been engaged to dive on each of the ships in port and examine them for anything unusual while in port.
Divers can potentially get to dams, bridges, electric plants, boats and ships, ferries,
oil rigs, and any other number of potential things, not just cruise ships. Frankly the safest place I have felt in the last 8 months has been aboard ship where security measures were thorough and professional.
Old June 6th, 2002, 08:15 AM
jjax

Default Re: Re: FBI and Scuba

Hi--
We booked out 5/18 trip on on the pride on 9/14-- we decided no one was going to scare us into not traveling.
Well ironically our stop in St. Martin was cancelled due to a bomb threat. According to crew memembers this was the first time that this had happened. However , this incident showed me that the cruise lines are on top of everything and will take all steps necessary to protect their passengers.
j
Old June 6th, 2002, 07:16 PM
slotl

I have been on two cruises since 9/11. I have every confidence in the US Coast Guard and the cruise line to insure the safety of it's passengers.

When the ship is docked, there are many Coast Guard and police boats in the water which are "guarding" water access around the ship.

Don't worry..... be happy..... live your life without fear. Go for it!!

slotl
Old June 8th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

IMHO, the risk of a scuba attack is a bit too remote. Bubbles give away the divers location, and a concussion grenade going off underwater will take care of the diver. Sure...anything's possible...but this seems to be too much of a long shot.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: FBI and Scuba

Way back when, the U.S. Navy taught me how to do a ship bottom search for limpet mines. That experience also taught me how easy it would be to place a limpet mine on the hull of any civilian ship, including a cruise ship - which, even since 9-11, would not be difficult, even with harbor security in place, operational and alert. IMHO, JimM has a reasonable concern. It's very easy to assume that our in-place security will be able to prevent all terrorist incidents, but such an assumption is foolish indeed. Certainly a ship could become a terrorist target. Let's be real, folks.
Old July 22nd, 2002, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Oops, I meant Jenn#1, not JimM.