Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Default Cigars---UGH!!

Just trying to stir things up. If there is anything worse than the stench of cigar smoke inside an enclosed space, I don't think I have ever encountered it. I believe in the freedom of cigar smokers to smoke all the cigars you wish, but please confine your smoking to designated areas far away from the rest of us.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cigars---UGH!!

I agree ....cigar smokers are terrible.
Old June 5th, 2002, 06:34 PM
First Mate

I also agree...cigar smoke is pretty nasty, as well as some pipe smoke...my husband & I loved the *completely* smoke-free environment of the Paradise, and we were very glad to find out they had changed the itinerary of the ship so we can sail her a 2nd time!

Wonder when other cruise lines are going to follow suit..........
Old June 6th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

I also agree. In fact, I am a cigar smoker! I gave up the cigarettes a year ago but do like to smoke a cigar occassionally and love to get the Cubans when I'm in the Caribbean. But there are few good places to smoke the cigars on board and you're not allowed to bring them back into the U.S. The cigar bars/rooms are great. Let us keep them please.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 6th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Michael's Club on most of the Celebrity ships are a FANTASTIC idea. We spent time in there every evening and it DOESN'T SMELL LIKE CIGARS!!!! I don't know if they have a special ventilation system in there, but even cigar-haters and non-smokers were spending time there because of the club like atmosphere. I hope more lines take the hint and put cigar bars in their ships!
Old June 6th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Dean Renner

Default Re: Re: Cigars---UGH!!

Rick,

I don't know about any of the other lines, but many RCCL ships have "Cigar Appreciation Hour" up in their Viking Crown Lounges in the evenings.

If you ever cruise with RCCL you might want to check it out.

Dean
Old June 6th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Rick. Why don't you say cigar smoke is terrible instead of cigar smokers are terrible? Isn't that what you really mean? Dennis
Old June 6th, 2002, 07:12 PM
slotl

On the HAL ships we have been on, every evening after dinner is "Cigars under the Stars". You sit outdoors by the pool in an area covered by an overhang. Port wine and other potables are also offered.

My husband enjoyed his "Cubans" each night sitting under the stars with lots of companions. Since our last two HAL experiences were on the Noordam in the Mediteranean, lots of Americans had purchased Cuban cigars at port and enjoyed them each evening out on deck.

There are no facilities on the ship (Noordam) for smoking cigars "indoors"
slotl
Old June 7th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Admiral

Absolutely Dennis.......I meant cigar smoke. Thank you for pointing that out to me. My apologies to any cigar smokers I may have offended by my incorrect remark. Thanks Dennis.
Old June 7th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Admiral

I really love the smell of fresh tobacco before it is smoked. However, once a cigar is ignited the smell is terrible. Just my opinion.
Old June 7th, 2002, 09:45 PM
coachsoftball

I guess it's just what's familiar to you. My dad used to smoke Robert Burns cigars. To me there is no better smell than Old Spice and Robert Burns cigars. That was the smell of my dad.
Old June 7th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Admiral

We had a daytime get- together in the Michael's Club onboard the Summit on the Let's Get Lei'd cruise, and there was ABSOLUTELY no smell of cigars! You're right, Rick. The ventilation system is fantastic.

A side note: Even though it was posted in each day's Summit Daily that no cigar smoking was allowed anywhere except in Michael's Club, there was one inconsiderate fellow who was smoking a cigar wherever he went (outdoors). I though it was inconsiderate, but not a big enough deal for me to make a scene with the fellow.

jennifer
Old June 8th, 2002, 02:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have to agree with Coach - it's what is familiar to you sometimes. My dad smoked cigars for many years so the whiff of cigar smoke is like a flashback to me and an enjoyable one He quit 20 years ago but the smell still connects to him.
Old June 8th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

What Jennifer said. Before the party was scheduled for Michael's Club on Summit, the "sniff patrol" -- knowing that there would be guests who are smoke-sensitive -- visited and pronounced it good.

Old June 8th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Admiral

I love the smell of cigars!!!

Monica Lewinsky
Old June 9th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Admiral

For Pete's sake ... smoking is bad for you - whether it's cigarettes or cigars, so why in the world are ships (and martini bars) promoting special clubs to smoke cigars, which IMHO stink - give me a headache, smell up your clothes and are ruining the smokers' lungs ... and aren't too hot for second hand smoking. (Quite a run-on sentence!)

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 9th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Admiral

"so why in the world are ships (and martini bars) promoting special clubs to smoke cigars,".......................Jane

Because it appeals to a group of customers and generates more revenue. All businesses have the same daunting task to try to appeal to as many customers as possible.

It's just a matter of economics. If more customers refused to buy tickets because they offered cigar clubs than bought tickets because they had cigar clubs then you'd see the cigar clubs disappearing.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 9th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Beginner

I know! Tobacco smells good, but when it lights up its nasty! As long as people smoke outside away from gathering areas, it doesnt bother me at all. I just hate when people smoke right next to you indoors.
Old July 1st, 2002, 09:38 AM
Coconut

I love a good cigar after dinner.
Old July 23rd, 2002, 03:41 PM
Alice

Maybe because the cruiselines aren't trying to dictate "morals" to their cruising passengers???