Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 9th, 2002, 04:43 PM
TomS

Default Cruises too short

Just a random rant here, I don't think I would take any cruise less than five days (and even that is pushing it) unless I lived within a half days drive of the cruise terminal. (I don't think that will happen here in Denver). Why would I spend hundreds of dollars to be squeezed into a cramped seat for hours, have the kid behind me practice for the World Cup on my chair, have the one in front lean back so I get a whiff of the person's shampoo, Have the airlines feed me a bag of peanuts that could barely keep a parakeete alive, and have some baggage handler toss around my luggage like suitcase tossing was about to become an Olympic sport, and he was a gold medal favoirte, only to turn around and do it again four days later? I can understand why people want to take the shorter cruises (lack of money and vacation time amongst them), but if I have to fly in, then I want at least a full week of ship life to compensate for the airport ordeals.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cruises too short

Week?

The further we have to fly, the longer I want it to last.

One day per hour in the air seems fair, hmmm ???

Old June 9th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Admiral

You're right Tom. Here in Fla. we're fortunate to live close to the terminals and can drive there within 1.5 hours or 6 hours max. It is a huge savings for us and we take the 3,4 and 5 day cruises for nothing more than the gas to get there and the price of the tickets. For instance, we just booked the Sovereign 4-day to The Bahamas outside cabin for $228 per person. With port charges and taxes the total is $352 per person.

Nothing new in the Bahamas for us to see so we probably won't even get off the ship. But for this price we get four days of cruising.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 9th, 2002, 08:24 PM
TomS

pamda, I wonder if you can count time in layovers and going through security as part of the flight time :-) Since it takes me about 3.5 hours (in the air) to fly from Denver to Miami, and about 3 from Denver to Orlando or Tampa, I suppose the 7 day cruises are perfect.
Old June 9th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Admiral

TomS ...

Good point. "Door to door" might be a better counter !!!

Old June 10th, 2002, 12:17 PM
Captain

Default Re: For what it's worth.......

For what it's worth, I think individual preferences come into play here. Some people like short cruises, while others like those 90 day ones --- and everything in between. From experience with longer and shorter cruises, I (for example) know that I prefer a one week cruise -- no more or less. Apparently many agree, as this is a very commonly available cruise length. But it's good that there are options for those who like different lengths.
Old June 10th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: For what it's worth.......

I would never do a cruise that was less than 7 days and prefer cruises that are 10 days or more. I just hate that last evening on a 7 day cruise when it is all about to end. Anyway, a 7 day cruise is really not much more than a 6 1/2 day cruise if you get on the ship at 2 pm or later the first day and get off at about 9 am the last. Just think of all those nice deck hours you are missing!
Old June 10th, 2002, 09:03 PM
Suzie

Default Re: Re: Re: For what it's worth.......

Nothing less than 12 days for me. It takes me that long to figure out where everything is located! ;>)

Suzie
Old June 11th, 2002, 06:06 AM
maryk

Default Re: Re: For what it's worth.......

7 days is way too short. It takes me 7 days to unwind. Just came off an 11 day cruise and I'm thinking that 11 days is too short. The best cruise was 19 days, at about day 18 I was ready to go home. Perfect.
Old June 11th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Thulewx

Default Re: Re: Re: For what it's worth.......

I did one grand cruise a couple years back - One week on Carnival Victory's first Caribbean cruise, then jumped over to the QE2, Queen's class for a week (talk about shock - inside Carnival to Outside Queen's Suite - mind-boggling!), then jumped over to Ocean Princess for 2 weeks. Went from bottom to top to middle, but had a ball. However, after the 3rd week, I was ready to get off and my sea-legs lasted almost 2 weeks (ugh), plus I started to get some sort of creeping crud that was going around the ship. I've found that the longer I stay on a ship, the higher the possibility of getting the "cruise-cold." One is stuck in a fairly confined structure and germs are way too easy to catch.
Two weeks is enough for me - doing two next Feb on HAL Zuiderdam - can't wait.