Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 8th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Admiral

Was just reading an article about Pink Floyd's The Wall from 1979. Why is that relevant? Because amongst the trivia it stated that a flight from Indianapolis to Miami cost $279 in in 1979. I am currently looking at airfare from Indianapolis to Miami and it is about $350 - I can beat the $279 by flying to Fort Lauderdale.

Why has airfare not risen along with salaries? Because we use Kayak and Priceline to find the best fares, because SouthWest and JetBlue will get you there cheaper. So there only recourse to try to survive is by cramming more people into less space and by adding fees for every conceivable item.

Remember PanAm, Eastern, TWA, Ozark and a host of others?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Personal space

I am fit and lean so I am paying for some of the fuel that your oversized body requires to become airborne. That's not the problem--I am willing to pay a little more-- the problem is when your body crosses over the armrest and invades my space. I'm already paying for part of your flight now you want part of my seat too! Ok so if I slide over a little--I can give your years of surplus calories another few inches but its never enough. Fat seems to take on the shape of its container and it keeps coming over until contact with my body is made. Do you have any idea how gross that feels to a person not accustomed to fat containment? Or is it like the smoker who does not realize that his breath, clothes, car, house, wife, and kids all smell of cigarettes? Please pay for the extra seat or fly first class where you have more room.
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Familiar Face

I don't have a problem with airlines needing to require obese passengers to purchase an extra seat if needed.
I DO take issue with any airline that can not be sensitive about it or a flight attendant who needs to embarrass the passenger over it.
I have also witnessed a large man ( 6 ft 8, 300+ pounds) who did purchase two seats have to put up with a flight attendant try to guilt him into giving up his second seat because they'd overbooked the flight.

Sorry SW, you can't have it both ways.
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

wow - that is just wrong, trying to get him to give up the extra seat.

I was once on a flight where I had paid for my wife to fly and she had the seta next to me, and said "well, since my wife paid for the seat and she is not here I can expect that it will be empty, right?"

Wrong - they said she had to be on the plane to claim the seat (or at least check in) otherwise I gave the seat up. But do I get a refund? no.

Of course not.

Old August 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

That is just so wrong, I am sure they got a pretty penny for that seat, your wife should of received a refund and they could charge whatever they wanted to re-sell that seat...

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 20th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Saw on news today where Southwest may start charging overweight people double fare (not sure of weight parameters). This would increase cruise costs if they carry through with this. Do you think this is fair? Should overweight people pay more.....certainly some need 2 seats. I think they should pay if they require 2 seats. I am not surprised at Southwests proposal and think other airlines will sit back and see how it goes before doing or not doing the same. I am not real surprised at the possibility of overweight people having to pay more to fly. .We are a country of overweight and obese people. US surgeon general stated earlier this year that this year deaths/illness due to overweight will surpass death/illness attributed to smoking. If not now..then in the near future, I would not be surprised to find that Companies will try not to hire obese people due to health costs. But for now........How do you feel about Southwests possible actions.

Why would this increase cruise cost?
Old April 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Dannyboy
Default Extention belts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Saw on news today where Southwest may start charging overweight people double fare (not sure of weight parameters). This would increase cruise costs if they carry through with this. Do you think this is fair? Should overweight people pay more.....certainly some need 2 seats. I think they should pay if they require 2 seats. I am not surprised at Southwests proposal and think other airlines will sit back and see how it goes before doing or not doing the same. I am not real surprised at the possibility of overweight people having to pay more to fly. .We are a country of overweight and obese people. US surgeon general stated earlier this year that this year deaths/illness due to overweight will surpass death/illness attributed to smoking. If not now..then in the near future, I would not be surprised to find that Companies will try not to hire obese people due to health costs. But for now........How do you feel about Southwests possible actions.

The airlines have been dealing with issues pertaining to encroachment on other passengers for years.
It is a matter of time before passengers must request seatbelt extensions during ticket purchase.

Most airlines are in the process of reconfigured aircraft and will have narrower seats in a portion of coach, meaning large passengers may not fit in the new seats. New regulations now restrict passengers from bringing their own seat belt extensions, they must be provided by the airline.

American airlines announced a new seat (narrower) in a portion of coach and branding them.

Now consider a 100 pound passenger seated next to a 300 pound passengers that is unable to fit in their seat. The flight attendants must deal with the problem and the 100 pound passenger ultimately receives the penalty.

If a passenger needs a seat 24 inches wide seat in order to fit in the seat and the passengers purchases the 18-inch coach seat because of cost.
Don't even think for one second the 300 pound passengers with a 50-inch waist line has the option to lift the armrest and encroach on the personal space of the 100 pound passenger.

If they choose to fly, then they need to purchase a seat they can fit in, even if it is business or 1st class.

Otherwise a passenger can drive, or take a train.
I am not being rude, I am considering other passengers rights.

Until the airlines put handicap seats on aircraft, the flight attendants should deny boarding to passengers that are unable to fit in their seat or fat pours over the armrest into the next seat.