Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 21st, 2002, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default Smell rant ....

Just as I don't want people oozing into my seat (OK, I'm small and don't take up much space, but still ...) I don't want to be subjected to people with questionable personal hygiene OR people who feel that they MUST wear all possible smelly potions.

I think I'd rather have a non-smelly oozer than be forced to sit next to some chick wearing an industrial-grade charge of "Obsession" for three or four hours. Or more. Never mind the person who doesn't know the meaning of the word "shower."

When I was a flight attendant (this is when we just strapped people to the backs of pteradactyls and hoped for the best) we were NOT to wear any cologne/perfume. In addition to spot weight checks, there were SMELL checks.

Anybody else bothered by SMELLS ???

Should there be a smell patrol ???

Should a passenger be allowed to ask for another seat on an airplane (on the way to a cruise, just to keep this on topic) if there is a smell violation?

Old June 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Smell rant ....

Mrs. Bill comments on this all the time. She has gotten off elevators and changed her seat at work because of people who wear a bit too much of the cheap cologne. As a supervisor at work I often deal with complaints of too much stinky stuff. I had a whole department tell me I had to talk to someone , that none of them could stand the gobs of cologne this guy drowned himself in each day.
Funniest of all is our receptionist. Twice widowed, several years back she was meeting a gentleman friend after work each day. She would spray the air around her until there was a cloud of perfume, then walk through it. The office would then stink for an hour.
Ladies and gentlemen, a HINT of scent is nice, there is such a thing as TO MUCH.
My opinion.
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:09 PM
Shar

I have allergies to a lot of different perfumes, especially the kind with musk in it. I can tell when someone gets on a plane with this stuff on them because it immediately causes all my sineses to swell. If someone in our choir comes to practice (or worse yet, to performances) they immediately get sent to wash up. I have in-laws who think it's great to go to the perfume counter and spray on every sent available, stinking up the entire store. I have no idea why perfumes/colognes come with atomizers when a little drop will do (or overdo) it!!

Shar
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Agree to all above.

Old June 21st, 2002, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Ditto to UConn1. I never wear perfume when travelling on planes just because of the problems it might cause for others.

Don't wear it around here either when going outside ... don't want the mosquitoes to bite - and here is west central Florida (Tampa Bay area).

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Old June 22nd, 2002, 01:52 AM
DeniseToAlaska

Default Re: Re: Smell rant ....

People who wear perfume and cologne build up a tolerance to it. They start off small, then can't smell it and use more and more and more until they're bathing in it. Sometimes they really don't even realize it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with politely pointing it out. Nothing can compare to nuzzling the neck of a man LIGHTLY cologned. It's very sexy. Nothing can compare to holding your nose and running from someone. It's very disgusting.

This might even apply to people who don't bathe. They don't smell it and might not realize others do.

I have halitosis, partially from smoking partly from a medical condition, and didn't realize the extent. Someone left the oral hygeine part of a cultural assimilation pamphlet on my desk. I was mortified and still am to this day. But I'll be the cruiser with 10-20 packs of breath-freshening gum and mints in my carry-on.

Denise Minty Fresh
Old June 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
TomS

Whenever I board an airplaine, the first thing I do is open the air conditioner vent to full blast. This is your fresh air supply. You only have about 1 1/2 cubic yards of air per passanger on an airplane, so getting fresh air is inportant. If a passanger sits next to me with an offending perfume, I just redirect the flow slightly so it will blow the offending odars away from me.

By the way, if you were wondering how they get fresh air on an airplane, here it is. There is an intake valve in the engines that collects air from outside. This air is then compressed and routed through a heat exchanger since compression heats up the air, and the temprature outside the aircraft is around -50 F. The air is then combined with recycled and filtered cabin air (on newer planes this can be up to 50%) and pumped through those little vents above your head.
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Ohmigawsh, Pamda. You have raised the issue I have been complaining about for years. I CAN'T stand the overwhelming cloud of perfume some people wear. It is nauseating!

When I was a smoker it bothered me to be discriminated against because of my smoke intruding on others when perfume-bathing people were allowed to walk free. I agreed with the second-hand smoke argument and accepted the non-smoking policies of restaurants, airlines, etc. but believed it should also apply to those who intrude on other's air by spraying perfume all over their bodies. Why do I have to sit on an airplane breathing the god-awful perfume of the lady next to me when I'm not allowed to smoke? Sure, there is a health issue with second hand smoke, BUT there may be a health issue with breathing perfume vapors too. Nobody knows.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 24th, 2002, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. This bothers me anywhere, but on an aircraft, it's virtually impossible to get away from it. I'll never understand why some women (and I guess some men, too) feel that they have to marinade in the stuff.
Old June 26th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yuck! Two of the worst plane-mates I have ever had include (a) a couple with the WORST B.O. I have ever experienced, and (b) a lady exec who had on so much perfume that when she stood still she left a puddle. Others (for real)...a Jehovah Witness with pamphlets for me to read, a woman with three hyperactive kids under the age of five, and a drunk missing his front teeth who wanted to have dinner with me when we landed.