Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Passenger

Default Afraid life will never be the same

Ok, I have never been a on a cruise, but will be on one shortly here in July! I have researched and read every single review out there and researched my ports and even looked at the sample menu's and the 360 degree virtual tour of the Elation. I have my room garenteed in the middle of the ship (so I wont get sick) and have everything ready to go... Here is my gripe........After reading all the stuff I have read and looked at the pictures on the photo gallery that some guy named Ray took, I am abosluely terrified that I am going to love this Cruise thing so dang much, that the rest of my life will seem like stale croutons, that real life will be too un-fun..... and that I will suffer and suffer every day of my life, working every hour and day-dreaming of the next port of call and will I want to do illegal things to get money so I can just keep cruising.. I am afraid I will want to sell my kids to the gypsies for some extra cash... Geeez this all sounds just too good to be true...I hope it is ! I cant wait to see for myself in July.
Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Afraid life will never be the same

Addiction is a terrible thing, unless it's an addiction to cruising.

There are some things to keep in mind when you cruise to alleviate the symptoms. Remember, 1) You have to come back to real life and it hasn't changed. 2) The pampering you get is temporary and the next set of passengers will get the same. 3) Spend whatever money you need to have fun, you'll make more when you get home. 4) Your mate is going to be with you for a long time, the cruise only lasts a few days. 5) On the last night start thinking of where you want to go for the next cruise, because booking one as soon as possible upon return is the best way to get over the P(ost) C(ruise) D(epression.)

You'll have a great time,
Thomas
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:51 AM
donnajo

RL-go - Sorry, but there is no cure for this addiction. My husband and I have been addicted since '94. The only thing that takes the edge off the withdrawal after disembarkation, is booking another cruise.
Even then, unless you are wealthy,(we are not), you can't seem to get enough going only once per year. We never sail under 10 days anymore!

You will have a wonderful time.

Happy sailing!

Donna
Old June 27th, 2002, 09:25 AM
barbara11758

Default Re: Re: Afraid life will never be the same

Cruising is the best kind of vacation. You only have to unpack once, you know where you are going to eat and you have entertainmen. To top it all off, your fellow cruisers seem to be the frieneliest people on the earth!
Have a great creuise. By the way. where are you cruising to?
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Passenger

thanks that sounds like excellent advice
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:13 PM
Passenger

thanks
Old June 27th, 2002, 03:14 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Afraid life will never be the same

Mexican riviera, July 21-28th on Carnivals Elation...
Old June 27th, 2002, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Oh, you poor thing. You will indeed be hooked. The Elation is where it all started for me. What a beautiful ship, warm mexico breeze, the pool-side fiesta, the food, ohhhhhh, it's just awful. I hopr you have a wonderful time. I'll be in the carribean at the same time looking up at the same beautiful stars at night. Happy sailing.
Old June 27th, 2002, 08:56 PM
TomS

The best way to handle cruise addiciton is to work overtime (really nice if you have a job that pays time-and-a-half). This does two things. It gives you a legal means to pay for your shipboard expierence, and it makes you feel like you earned a reward (a week or so of pampering)
Old June 28th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Familiar Face

Well, I went on my first cruise and got back on June 10th. I went to Alaska for 7 days on the Sun Princess. I am now hopelessly addicted to cruising. I am now also addicted to this web site. Too bad I didnt find it before I went on the cruise! It would have been a huge help. My husband and I live for the next cruise and furthermore HAVE to have a balcony or better the next time! hah. Yep, you ARE probably doomed to live for your next cruise, sorry to say. :-)
Old June 28th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Admiral

RL- I'm afraid it is too late. It sounds to me like you are already addicted! Welcome to the club.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 29th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Addiction..yes i have to admit that i have become what i normally would despise..!

I am in the Corrections field and continually finding myself spending hours upon hours with criminals working overtime like a pheen... Why you ask..????? So I can...

CRUISE!!!!!! whooohoooo I need it i love it... I have to have it...!!!

hahahahahaha
Paula
Old July 2nd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Steward

If had any real experiences with Gypsies, like I have, you would know that Gypsies sometimes sell their own kids but never buy others' children. happy I could clear up that confusion
Old July 4th, 2002, 10:32 PM
DeniseToAlaska

Having just returned from my first, I will tell you that you are correct. I have no children to sell or I would.

We're getting together Saturday to plan another. It was incredible. Now I know why cruisemates.com posters post, why there is a cruisemates.com, and why people become addicted.

I'm also glad you're excited about it, because some people don't feel that way. If you go looking to have the time of your life, you will. If you go looking to criticize, you most definitely will find things.

It was the time of my life.

Denise
Old July 5th, 2002, 02:14 PM
First Mate

That is exactly what will happen. Wonderful isnt it? Planning is half the fun of cruising. We have Bon Voyage parties all the time. Just getting ready for the actual cruise itself. You will be hooked and you will enjoy the addiction. Happy Cruising! Char
Old July 6th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Pegs

Default Re: Re: Re: Afraid life will never be the same

Can't agree more! I love the planning. My kids first cruise was in 99 and they are as hooked as I am.

Our next is not until June 12, 2004! Aboard Carnival Glory.
Old July 9th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Familiar Face

I thought of you the whole week with envy, Denise. I got back from my 1st cruise (Sun Princess/ Alaska) on June 10th. I am SO glad the cruise was everything you had hoped for. If you can, email me with all the nitty gritty about how you liked the ports. Did you see great wildlife???????????? You GO... girl!
Old July 24th, 2002, 01:40 PM
First Mate

The biggest shock for me was my first morning at home after the cruise. I had taken an extra day off to get the vacation things put up, so DH went on to work as usual. A few minutes later, I sent him an email, saying I didn't know what to do, our wonderful waiter had not shown up at the table with my perfect coffee yet. It was such a let down!

But, I soon found that telling everyone about our wonderful cruise was almost as much fun as being there. And, of course, the commitment to take at least one cruise per year keeps us constantly searching for the next great cruise deal to book!

Being addicted is not always bad!