CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Top 10 Lg.-Ship Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/295202-top-10-lg-ship-cruise-lines.html)

Suzie August 16th, 2002 07:49 PM

Top 10 Lg.-Ship Cruise Lines

Just rec'd my Aug. issue of Travel & Leisure and they list the top 10 large ship cruise lines:

1 Crystal Cruises
2 Holland America Line
3 Orient Lines
4 Celebrity Cruises
5 Princess Cruises
6 Disney Cruise Line
7 Royal Caribbean
8 Cunard Line
9 P&O Cruises
10 Delta Queen Steamboat Co.

( Where is Carnival??)

Top 5 small-ship cruise lines

1 Silversea Cruises
2 Radisson Seven Seas Cruises
3 Seabourn Cruise Line
4 Linblad Expeditions
5 Windstar Cruises

Suzie August 16th, 2002 07:52 PM

Re: Top 10 Lg.-Ship Cruise Lines

Sorry, I didn't mean to post this here- this is NOT a gripe!

Just pretend I put it in " Chit-Chat "

Suzie

Henry August 18th, 2002 07:21 PM

Re: Re: Top 10 Lg.-Ship Cruise Lines

Suzi lol

tiffany August 18th, 2002 09:30 PM

well I don't know Suzie, it could be considered a gripe for a carnival fan!

Thulewx August 19th, 2002 07:16 AM

Actually, it can be a gripe. Too many people seem to take so much stock in these cruise polls, when they're very UNscientific. For instance, Cunard is near the bottom of the list. They have far fewer people cruising on their ships than on other lines, therefore chances are, there will be fewer votes automatically. Same for Crystal, yet they get the top nod. Who does the voting? Can they be sure the people aren't trying stuff the ballott box?
The same applies to the Cruise Critic polls and Condé Nast polls. For much of last year Ocean Princess was near the top consistently, now they're nowhere to be seen. Why? Worsening service? Fewer cruisers who go to that web site?
Or are the polls just indicative of internet-savvy people? What ages voted? Demographics can't be tracked at all.
To me, these polss are pretty much useless...

TomS August 19th, 2002 08:20 AM

I agree. Reader polls should be considered entertainment only. No one should place any value in them because there is no way to insure a valid cross-section of the community.

TomS

Thomas August 19th, 2002 11:36 AM

Do you suggest then that Kuki's polls on Chit Chat should not be valued?<grin>

And don't you think, Tom, that antlerhead is really stretching for new material for his polls? <vbg>

Just kidding mooseman!!

Regards,
Thomas

babe ruth August 19th, 2002 04:49 PM

Carnival IS there, sort of, in the form of HAL, Cunard, and Seabourn, which it owns. Polls can be useless or of some value, depending on who they are run. Here, if sheer numbers count, it's worthless do to a bias in favor of lines that carry more people. Only if it is calculated on the basis of ratios of positive to negative response would it have statistical value.

JenniferL August 20th, 2002 07:48 AM

I did notice one thing about these polls though, every single one that I have read, Crystal has been #1, there has to be something to that?

robbie August 22nd, 2002 04:24 PM

Are Carnival fans out there? A someone who posted my gripe against "RCI," I'm not so sure all the lines aren't making customer service mistakes.

don August 22nd, 2002 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Top 10 Lg.-Ship Cruise Lines

Polls work well for me. I have found if most peoole like something on a poll i won't and if only a few enjoy something according to a poll I will like it.

My wife and I have decided a long time ago if movie critics don't like a film we will love it. If they love a film we will dislike it.

Some of my most enjoyable cruises were on ships that were rated 3 stars or less.

Guess I am just strange.

Don

norm August 30th, 2002 09:54 PM

Suzie,

This is a very interesting outcome. I'm surprised to see Holland America Lines ranked so highly, especially after the feedback that i have received regarding that line over the last 2-3 years.

I'm also surprised to see P&O Cruises, a British line that's not marketed here in North America to any degree, make the cut!

Norm.