Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default What am I missing?

I am now convinced that PapaBill and Gram ( the former Bill and Mrs.Bill) are missing out on most ,if not all of the entire true cruise experience.
To start off we book a specific cabin and pay for it. By doing this I am apparently missing out on the excitement of booking a guaranteed room , paying for an interior broom closet and getting angry with the cruise line and TA for not giving us a suite. I am apparently missing out on all that "upgrade anxiety". Is it fun? Then there is the how long can I hold up the embarkation line because I haven't filled out my documents and I don't have proper ID game. How much fun is that ?
Next I miss out on the excitement (and again anxiety) of wondering if the soda bottles and booze packed in my bags are going to "make it" onboard. Since I wouldn't think of lugging this stuff along. I miss out on that fun too.
I don't gamble so I also miss out spending all those glorious sea days sitting in a smokey interior space yanking on a handle and watching flashing lights . All I do is sit in the sun , stare out at the blue water, blue skies and such. Shucks, am I missing the good stuff here too?. I guess I can say the same for the rip roaring excitement of bingo
in a crowded lounge or theatre at 3pm while I just waste away my fun time on deck.
We dress appropriately for each meal so I miss out on being stared at for being the only guy in a muscle shirt , blue jeans, sneakers and a baseball cap in the dining room
at formal dinner. Darn it must be fun to dress trailer trash on those nights and stare back at people staring at you.
We also miss out on the "will my stuff still be on my deckchair when I come back in 4 hours challenge and the how many seats can I save in the first row at the late show
challenge. There is the steal the photos from the photo gallery challenge. We don't participate in that good fun either. How about the disembark before my color is called
marathon preceded by the how long can we stand in the main lobby game (despite the every five minute announcement to keep this area clear). Lastly I apparently miss out on the fun of not showing at customs with my whole family despite our foriegn citizenship game (we can't play this one since we are US citezens)and the how many times can they call my name to come settle my sign and sail card bill contest.I can't think of anything more but I think Gram and I may have missed all the good times on our cruises. What other fun stuff are we missing out on?
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: What am I missing?

Hey Bill,
You are too much, ! We actually do book a guarantee, in hopes of something better, but always book the catagory we would want anyway, so its OK if we don't get an upgrade, so far booked that way 3 times and no upgrade, may-be someday?

I absolutely never save lounge chairs, but am usually up on the pool deck nice and early to just use one, but most of them are saved?? Gosh, do I hate that, so don't really think you are missing out on that one.

Take care and keep cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 29th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

PapaBill, How about regaling your tablemates at dinner with lamentations about how much better the service was in the "old days?"
Larry in Tucson
Old August 30th, 2002, 08:25 AM
worktocruise

PapaBill....

You are sooooo funny. I could relate to everything. Think I'm missing out on all that stuff too! I'm guessing we are much happy and less stressed! lol
Old August 30th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Cruise Maniac

Don't forget the complain-a-thon!
Old August 30th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: What am I missing?

See, another thing I'm missing in my cruise experience. Is it fun telling everyone how much better service , food, companions, excursions, destinations, etc etc were on your last cruise (or cruise line )?. I take each ship ,cruise and new group of friends as they come and I'm obviously missing out in yet another cruise activity here. What fun I could be having putting people down about their current cruise by telling them how much better it used to be.
Old August 30th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default And don't forget to tell everyone

how little you paid for the cruise and what suckers they were for getting a room bigger than a broom closet.
Old August 30th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Default Re: And don't forget to tell everyone

See, no matter where I turn I'm missing out on the cruise experience. I never discuss what I paid and rarely get into a conversation about comparative accomadations.
I could be getting in all kinds of digs and making others feel like crap and I'm missing out on that . I guess I could probably be telling fellow diners how much more fun what I did each day was versus what they did and how much cheaper I was able to do the same shore excursion on my own. I could also be asking what they bought ashore and how much they paid for it and really have fun telling people how much less I got mine for.
I'm just missing out on the whole experience. I have to stop wasting my time on sun, blue water, good books, companionship, new friends and such and get into the true
experiences of cruising.
Old August 30th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Suzie

Default Re: Re: What am I missing?

Papa Bill,
I love you man!
I can count on one hand the posters on this board who make coming here a fun time.
You are no. 1

Suzie
Old September 2nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: What am I missing?

Thank you for the kind words. Where did you say I was supposed to send the check?
Old September 3rd, 2002, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Don't forget the ever-popular shore excursion game "see how long we can make the bus wait for us beyond the appointed rendezvous time, despite their idle threats of leaving us behind."

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

HA, you are hillarious Papa, very well said.