Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:49 AM
Admiral

Default The Lobster Thing ....

Following some other threads, "Lobster Night" seems to be a big deal.

I can't quite figure out why people get so excited about flash-frozen tails that are cooked in huge quantities and are not very good once they get to the table.

In the interest of good reporting, I dispatched Capain Queeg to the local supermarket

(4 oz. tails, flash-frozen, $4.99 each -- the cruise lines probably pay less than a dollar because of the amounts they purchase).

We thawed (microwave). We cut properly. We separated the meat from the shell. We made a butter and lemon zest sauce. We broiled. We basted. We watched the broiling process until the moment of perfection. Labor-intensive.

This took the better part of an hour or two. For two people (three tails).

Were those babies juicy? Oh, yes.

The lesson to be learned is that there is NO WAY to do the same thing for the thousand or so people who want a lobster tail on any given "Lobster Night".

Throwing a gazillion frozen tails into vats of hot water then running them under a broiler is NOT a way to get a good tail.

We usually prefer to meet our lobsters "up close and personal" before consigning them to death by steam. But this was an experiment.

But it begs the (gripe) question ... what IS the big deal about "lobster night" ???

You CAN do this at home, kids. And it's a whole lot better.

How important is "lobster night" to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2002, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: The Lobster Thing ....

For me *any* seafood is a big deal, 'cause in the Martin/Carapia household it's banned except during Lent (when Art will let me at least bake those frozen battered fish fillets).

So on a cruise, I usually try and grow gills by eating seafood all the time.

But really my favorite dishes are ones I never make -- still have fond memories of Veal Marsala on Norwegian.

But, hey, I will take some tail when I can get it.

:-)

Harry
Old September 3rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
Admiral

I looked forward to lobster night on my first cruise, since I had never tried lobster before and was anticipating it. It was okay, but nothing to get excited about.
Now I can live without lobster night. I might even (gasp!) try a different entree during lobster night on the Fantasy this week.
Pamda, I had never considered buying frozen lobster tails and cooking them up. That sounds delicious. I'll have to try it. Although if the opportunity to eat "free" (i.e. already paid for) lobster is anybody's sole excuse to cruise, this renders it obsolete.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

p.s. Harry - !

Post Edited (09-03-02 12:18)
Old September 3rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Pamda, let me guess ,you are from the east coast. Like you, it is hard for me to get "up" for an over cooked frozen lobster tail, but, that is because fresh live lobster is available and reasonably priced in the northeast . Having spent my mispent youth vacationing summers in Maine, a fresh lobster is one that has gone from boat to pot in the last half hour
I think the reason many people cruise is for the food (not just the lobster).
No tuna casaroles , no hot dogs, no meat loaf and no leftovers.
Lobster tails and filet mignon as well as salmon, swordfish, shrimp, rack of lamb,
etc is not what most people(me included) eat on a regular basis and often not when they go out to eat either. Result, they go big for lobster night.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:51 PM
Yeoman

The scampi has also gone downhill lately BUT I agree, it AIN'T home and I do appreciate the service. It is funny that we feel we are eating $100 a day if we can find a cruise for that price. I was told by a chef on a cruise that the line spent $13 and change per day, per passenger for food from start to finish (oops, that was sposed to be a secret but not sure if there was any truth to it).
Old September 3rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think lobster is a treat for many people. Its very expensive so when lobster is served, its a big deal. I made it at home a couple times but for the price, is a very rare treat we have.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 04:57 PM
Passenger

I personally love lobster so I do look forward to it. As you said in your post, to prepare it at home is labor intensive. Any meal that doesn't require me to do the cooking or cleaning can't be half bad.

Shelly
Old September 3rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
jjax

Default Re: Re: The Lobster Thing ....

I have to agree with Pamda annd Papa bill- as a native New Englander I don't find myself as excited as some over lobster night--i guess its all what you are accustomed to!!! i have found myself trying dishes i would never try while dining out at home-- escargot was a prime example!!!
Old September 3rd, 2002, 07:53 PM
Admiral

Those of us who have ready access to the Real Lobster (not the RED Lobster) do have a slightly different take on things, I guess.

To me, it is a crime against nature to serve those vulcanized tails to unsuspecting people !!!

Old September 3rd, 2002, 09:00 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Marie

Being from Western Canada anytime I can have Lobster that does not cost $ 30 is a treat, as also is Lamb which is very expensive in our restaurants and very rarely worth the money for the small portion you are served. Thus my two favourite meals on the ship are Lobster and Lamb( But not together) and my appetizer is Prawn cocktail.
Old September 3rd, 2002, 09:56 PM
Rickster

I don't know about the lobster thing, I've always had good luck with tasty, well cooked lobster on our cruises. What is a crime is the cheese cake they served on our last cruise. Very "Lite" with little or no taste! After our first cruise in '96 I was hooked on cheese cake, it was awesome. Hopefully this November the Mercury will be dishing out mouth watering "heavy" cheese cake! Pour in the eggs, philly cheese and sugar!
Old September 4th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

On one of my first cruises on Carnival the lobster was served at the midnight buffet in big bowles in the middle of the table. I have never seen anything like it. People where eating like there was not another meal to be had.
I persnollay don't care to much for lobster, shrimp or cod is my thing.
Old September 4th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Well, I'll put in my opinion.

Many times, a household has people who like it and some who don't. I happen to live in one of those households. It simply isn't worth the effort to cook it for myself. I'm sure that there are many in that same situation.

Last week on the Star Princess, the lobster was fantastic ! Tender and juicy.

I think we should remember, that what is 'special' and/or a 'big deal' to some people, may not be to others, and we should not do anything (including posts) to detract from what they think is special and going to help to make their cruise experience special.
Old September 4th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Admiral

I couldn't agree more, CA.

You know the long-standing "attitude" I have about veal on Celebrity and that there's another twin has never had a bad veal experience.

I always advocate not ordering something that you can get on land in a better preparation or presentation. Or, even, the "do it yourself" method.

Now, about those three dozen escargots ??? That's something I don't do at home.

Post Edited (09-04-02 15:46)
Old September 5th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to KSTAZMAN

Escargot, YES!!! The lobster thing is a miss for me. Alright but no big deal when you can buy them live at Wal-Mart. And that`s in Kansas of all places. Maybe that`s anothe sin for the Walton family.
The cruise is the thing anyway. Hamburgers taste better at sea than on land
Old September 5th, 2002, 07:29 AM
First Mate

IMHO: Lobster, smobster.
Old September 5th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB

Not important to me, I don't even eat seafood, lol.

Dana
Old September 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
First Mate

I wouldn't miss the frozen lobster tails either. The only good lobster I've eaten on a cruise was one on a sailing schooner off the coast of Maine. They cooked the lobsters over a fire on an uninhabited island. It was great.

I was wondering if there will be fresh seafood on our next cruise--the Golden Princess on the New England/Canada itinerary.
Old September 5th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Admiral

George ...

The best lobster I've ever had on a ship was taken on board at Antigua. There were only 36 passengers aboard the ship, so it was very do-able. Before they were cooked, we had lobster races (betting permitted) on the aft deck.

I'll be interested to learn what happens on your cruise, food-wise. I tend to doubt that the cruise line, especially with that many passengers, would take a chance on "fresh".

But I've been wrong before.
Old September 5th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think the biggest thing that this "Lobster Thing" thread has pointed out is that we are eating in a restaurant with seating for 1000 people at a time +/ - . Can we expect ANY meal item to be the best it can possibly be when made on a cruise ship? No way!!! You may have a good meal but, as Pam mentioned, having the best just plain isn't possible when doing assembly line cooking.

Having said that, I love having lobster on the cruise - but I'm also at least 2 1/2 hours from any live lobster to buy around here so it's not exactly something that we have high on the shopping list. By the same token I've never found a steak on a cruise or on either coast that even comes remotely close to the quality of what we can purchase in the midwest grocery stores or restaurants.

On my next cruise, look me up - I'll swap you steak for lobster....

I guess we are all creatures of where we live in this big nation
Old September 6th, 2002, 07:24 PM
imlulu

I live in Mass and I can't stand lobster. My dh is the only one in the family who likes eat so I never make it. I may be strange when it coems to dinner on cruises. I like plain old food and I have hard time as I don't like new stuff. My dh loves the dining room food as he loves to try new stuff. We are taking our kids for first time in Feb and i may just eat off the kid's menu.:-)))
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dear Pamda,
I wrote to you being "First Timer Cruise Editor". I did't know that my question about the lobster dinner was going to make you so aggitated. I look to you for advise. And I got critized for my question. Are all first time cruisers stupid because we just want advise and are, yes very excited about our first cruise. I really thought Cruisemates was a great site for cruiser old and new. But you have changed my mind. I am truely sorry that my question was such an annoyance. PSM signing off.
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

PSM, I just re-read Pamda's posts on Gripes, and I think she was just adding her read on the "lobster thing" -- I really don't think she meant to criticize. That's not how I took it. Hope you would reconsider.

Harry
Old September 7th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Dear PSM ...

I have apologized in e-mail and will now do so in public. I am most sincerely sorry. I did not intend to offend. I was mostly curious. As you can see from the thread, there are differing opinions.

As I said in my e-mail, it's impossible for you to be "stupid" because you ARE going cruising. This makes you part of a highly intelligent group of people.

You should be excited about your first cruise. That excitement will never go away, even after 50+ cruises, as some of the real wave-runners around here testify every time they book a new one.

I don't take offense when people suggest that the folks who pay extra for the specialty restaurants need to have their heads examined. If I did, I'd spend a lot of time being offended.

I do hope you will reconsider. And, again, I'm sorry.

Old September 7th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you Pamda, apology accepted.
Pam M
Old September 8th, 2002, 04:22 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: Re: Re: The Lobster Thing ....

having grown up in new england and spending lots of time in maine during the summers, i was spoiled when it comes to lobster. lobster had nothing to do with formal for me. it meant old clothes that didnīt mind being splattered with butter. paper plates and newspaper piled high with red shells, claws and legs. greasy fingers and a mountain of used paper towels. all of this while sitting outside at a picnic table letting salty air mess my hair up. great memories.

i havenīt had lobster like that in over ten years and when i have the chance to even taste a hint of lobster itīs like a opening up a palatal photo album. when i have the chance now , i do because i donīt know when the next time will be. i used to pass it up knowing that a trip to maine or the local seafood place was around the corner. guess itīs all a matter of perspective. i guess on our cruise next march iīll be the woman who wonīt be saying a word while she goes down memory lane with each and every bite. too bad i wonīt be allowed to wear my old clothes..... ;0)

suzanne
Old September 8th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Admiral

Oh, Suzanne ...

How I love tearing those bad boys apart. I also attack blue crabs with a vengeange and, just tonight, did some king crab legs. Of course I was wearing a dirty T-shirt. Is there any other way?

Hope you are feeling WAY much better and that you won't set off any major alarms when going through security on your upcoming cruise.

Old September 9th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Forget the lobster, give me crabs any day. On the SOS last week they didn't even offer lobster. In fact, the last time I had lobster on a cruise ship it was so rubbery I couldn't cut it.

Pounding blue crabs with a mallet and a pitcher of beer is the BEST!!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old September 10th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Pamda,

Frozen lobster tails??? Yuck!

Here in New England, we do lobster the right way. We start with a New England lobster (yes, folks, there really is a difference!) straight from the ocean and either boil it or steam it alive and serve it up with melted butter. That way, it's fresh -- and you really will taste the difference.

Norm.
Old September 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Pam K

Default Re: Re: Re: The Lobster Thing ....

We just finished 12 days on the Brilliance touring Northern Europe (Aug. 27-Sept. 8), and it was GREAT. Brillance is a beautiful ship full of wonderful surprises! Of course this review is my personal opinion, but I thought the Lobster was delicious (true I live in the desert of Arizona and probably wouldnt know the difference) but I guess my feelings are .... any seafood or otherwise that I don't have to prepare and that is served to me is a treat. I have read the other reviews that harshly critique some things such as the lobster not being live, over cooked and rubbery. This was not experienced on the Brillance. My suggestion would be this...if you don't like the lobster that is served on cruise ships go to the buffett that night and let the rest of poor smucks enjoy the evening. Sometimes things are not perfect but that's life....it's all in your perspective...we enjoyed our "time and lobster" on the Brilliance and hope you will too