Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Default Gripers Cruise -Ship

The TA and group leaders of the Gripers Cruise have (at Rick's suggestion) just announced their choice of ship. The Diamond Princess has been selected.
With an already "presmoked" decor and aroma all rooms will be smoking rooms
(and may still actually be smoking at the time of our cruise). A suggestion of Nomex nylon has been made for all your cruisewear (as it is fire proof) and we suggest each member brings plenty of black clothes( which will not show soot).
By the way our TA has finally settled in as Boy George's "partner" and our group leaders will be holding their first press conference on cruise details from Rykers Island Prison in NY. The head of our tour group (Marylyn Twogood) of Irish traveller tours claims they have never been involved in any previous scams effecting older cruise travellers (they insist they usually run only phoney roofing and siding scams).
More on our cruise arrangements as news is available.
Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2002, 06:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Gripers Cruise -Ship

Sounds good, but make sure you don't book it yet.

We have to wait until the last minute for 'bargains' so it can sell out and we can't change our vacation days.

Denise

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old October 1st, 2002, 07:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I guess this ship will never be designated a smoke free ship for all smokers out there. On a more serious side, it it sad to see a proud ship go up in flames. I'm sure this brings back memories for a lot of our old cruisers on the board when the Normandy, true queen of the sea met her end in New York harbor during the war.
Old October 1st, 2002, 11:55 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Oh yes and to get there we have to be sure to only have 1o minutes to connect for flights
ship ahoy Auguste
Old October 2nd, 2002, 12:41 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Gripers Cruise -Ship

I understand the longshoreman from the West coast were on hand at the shipyard in Japan "helping" with the Fireworks celebration to great the Diamond when she sails to the West coast.... Hey wait a minute.... they were demanding more $$ to carry our suitcases aboard our chared ship....or something might happen.....it did.....(guys ...look for a nice pay boost after "helping "with the Diamond.)
Old October 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Admiral

I don't want to sail on the Diamond Princess, so I guess this ship will be fine for me! The Nomex suits will need to be the wrong size, of course. And if the smokey, soot covered rooms don't present enough of a coughing fit for all of us we'll have to insist the crew wash down the rooms with ammonia.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 2nd, 2002, 11:09 AM
Admiral

I don't want to be on it either, Thomas - see you on board.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 4th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Mickey,

I guess this ship will never be designated a smoke free ship for all smokers out there. On a more serious side, it it sad to see a proud ship go up in flames. I'm sure this brings back memories for a lot of our old cruisers on the board when the Normandy, true queen of the sea met her end in New York harbor during the war.

In truth, it brings back vivid memories of a distress call from the SS Jagat Padmini (from the home port of Bombay) that we received aboard USS California (CGN-36) while in the Mediterranean in January, 1978. Our captain immediately dispatched sister ship USS [i] South Carolina [/i[ (CGN-37) and a frigate from our task group to render assistance while we continued on another mission. They rescued the crew from their liferafts and put fire parties aboard to put out the fire -- which had started in the bilges and spread to the bridge, aided by the ship's all-wood interior construction (now banned by the SOLAS treaty), engulfing the entire ship. When we arrived on the scene the next day, one young midshipman got a close-up view of a charred hulk and life-long lesson in the danger of fire at sea. I know, because I was that midshipman.

Two of my NROTC classmates were aboard USS [i] South Carolina [/i[ (CGN-37) at the time, too. They saw the actual fire. I doubt that they have forgotten it, either.

Norm.
Old October 7th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Captain

Hope this ship has extra charges for everything! deck chairs, seats in lounges, entertainment, meals, use of all restrooms, and even has metered electricity and water in each cabin so guests can be billed for this too. And don't forget the extra charges for using the pool hot tub, jogging areas, and deck areas where a good view is available. Want clean towels and sheets? Extra! Great cruise NOT to go on.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 12th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Tim Agg

The problem with the Diamond Princess is that with all the soot, and evryone wearing black, no one will know who is failing to wear a tux on formal nights, and we won't know who to complain about.
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Gripers Cruise -Ship

On the gripers cruise everyone wears powder blue tuxedos and ruffled shirts (ala
early Love Boat episodes).
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Admiral

All women must take fashion lessons from Ivana Trump for proper casual night wear.

Old October 14th, 2002, 10:46 AM
MizSuzannah

What must one do in order to be invited on this cruise???? This I gotta see!!! Boy George's wardrobe would be worth the trip.
Old October 14th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Admiral

All you have to do to be part of the Gripers Cruise, MizSuzannah, is have something to gripe about. Be prepared to have a miserable time. Welcome aboard!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 14th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Passenger

Must we use Ivana as our fashion role model? I was leaning toward Tammy Faye and Mimi Bobeck (of the Drew Carey Show). Ivana is much too subtle, in my opinion.
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:22 AM
David Starkey

Men.....what about our deluxe leisure suits and platform shoes......cool....thats what I'm wearing.( I can't find my platform shoes)....can I wear army boots?
Old October 15th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Passenger

I think Birkenstocks with white socks is another option. This is such a versatile combination.
Old October 15th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Admiral

The OFFICIAL men's daytime outfit for the Gripers Cruise is:
Madras plaid shirt (with at least on missing button)
Plaid shorts (must clash with shirt) held up by suspenders (with clips)
short black socks with insufficient elastic to hold up the tops
Black leather tie shoes (must have worn heels and need polish)
a mismatched baseball cap is required and must be worn both indoors and outside, especially at meals.

Official formal attire:
powder blue tuxedo with wide lapels and bell bottom slacks.
white ruffle front shirt with blue on the edge of the ruffles.
electric blue tie and cumberbund
white shoes
black socks
Options include cowboy string tie and snake skin boots.

Official informal attire:
Nehru or polyester liesure suits in light pastel collors
White shoes and belt
If leisure suit option is chosen ,must be worn with a contrasting shirt , unbuttoned to just above the navel with multiple heavy gold chains .
Old October 16th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Well, WHO appointed YOU the Fashion Arbiter, PapaBill? I don't remember an election.

Oh, sorry, it was held in Florida. That explains it.

Oh, Lisa ... Sorry, I was having a moment of Good Taste. Your role model choices are much better than mine. I shall immediately ring up Steiner of London to make sure they will have sufficient 3" eyelashes in stock.

Old October 17th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Passenger

Pamda,

I think you (and/or others) should opt for Ivana's style. All cruises need at least a few people, preferably traveling in packs, who feel the need to criticize everyone else's apparel, taste, lack of culture, etc. That would seem to fit better with Ivana as the role model than Mimi. While I haven't noticed it on this board (thankfully), I have been amused by the "fashion police" threads on another (hence my preference for CruiseMates). Reading some of those posts, one would think that what is worn is more important than what is done. Since this is a "Gripers" cruise, we wouldn't want everyone to agree to a certain level or style of dress. Where's the fodder for complaints in that?

BTW - 3" lashes? I think your subtlety is still coming through...
Old October 18th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Admiral

Ah, Lisa ...

I ADORE the Fashion Police. They are about as shallow as the Rio Grande after a rainless summer.

I say we buy a small stock of tiaras and award them to people who shall be designated as the Fashion Police. You can pick them out from 100 yards away. Along with the tiaras, they will be issued Thunder Sticks and deployed to a lounge area where most people will pass.

When the Fashion Police spots a violation ("OMIGAWD, Tammy, that woman's pantyhose are the WRONG SHADE !!!") they will bang the Thunder Sticks.

Then people can complain about the noise.

How's that? This creates a multiple gripe factor. Does it get any better?

Old October 18th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Passenger

Sounds good, Pamda. I do think we should make sure they must always travel in groups of 3 or more. They could also be the ones in charge of saving seats/tables/place in line. This would be efficient and let more of the passengers enjoy the griping portion of the cruise.

Now, to be gender fair, I propose we have a group of men who fill the lecher/drunk/"party animal" role. Any volunteers?
Old October 18th, 2002, 05:10 PM
Admiral

Uh-oh, Lisa ...

We may have to elect a Volunteer Coordinator for that one.

Old October 18th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Passenger

What a great position for someone who wants the most from their "Griper Cruise"!