Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Captain

Default Tour bus lack of restroom

Now here's a new gripe! Often shore excursions involve a lengthy your bus ride. In years past, these usually had restrooms. They still do, for the most part, but more times than not, they are bolted shut, or we are told not to use them! And did you ever try to find a public restroom in Ireland or Italy? No fun! Has anybody else noticed this?
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2002, 06:21 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tour bus lack of restroom

I guess it's sorta like when you have little kids and make sure they use the bathroom before you get in the car.

I wonder if there is a "rule" somewhere about how long/short a bus ride must be for a bathroom to be on the conveyance?

I can find a bathroom darned near anywhere ... bars are good places to look. You may not like what you see, but (usually) they work.

Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately, some of us are "blessed" with the need to find a loo more often than others. What one person thinks are too many bathroom stops may not be enough for their seatmate.

I do agree with Babe, though, it would be nice if they allowed the passengers to use the bathroom on the bus - although pity those poor folks who have to sit back there next to it!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 2nd, 2002, 10:29 AM
Captain

You know, just a few years ago when the tour busses had OPERATING restrooms, I can't recall any foul odors around them. I think they operated with chemicals and vents to take care of that problem.
Old October 2nd, 2002, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Babe, I took a lot of long-distance chartered bus trips between ten and five years ago, and once used, the bathroom and area around it always had a sewage odor.

Perhaps it depends on the bus. It could be that I was unfortunate enough to ride in buses whose chemicals and ventilation systems were not effective. However, I tend to believe this was a common problem.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 2nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Captain

Michelle: While I don't question the truthfulness of your statement about odors one bit, we were on some tour busses in Ireland and England in '98 that had working restrooms, and there was no odor I could detect. It was just like the areas around the toilets on airplanes. In 2001, the busses in these same countries had either a bolted shut restroom, or one that we were told not to use. Had the same problem in Italy week before last. I think that the smelly toilets you encountered, and the bolted up ones I've encountered, are both part of the same problem. A common gripe here --- a part of the travel industry "cheaping out" on us by either eliminating these necessary facilities or failing to maintain and equip them so as to cause no odors.

But again, while it was not done in the cases you observe, I have observed that operating restrooms CAN be provided on tour busses, without odor, if set up correctly. It just costs the tour company a few extra bucks to do it!

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 2nd, 2002, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I agree wholeheartedly, Babe. It would make the tours much more pleasant to not have to worry about when the next pit stop will be!

Cheers,
Michelle B.