Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dinner conversation

That's such a sweet story, Kuki.

Old October 11th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

These stories really have my sides hurting. Except Kuki's, That is a sweet story...Stephanie
Old October 12th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Don't know if I should admit this one... but my future hubby doesn't read these boards, so I guess it's okay!
On the same cruise as the one I mentioned above, table for 4 with couple in their 30s, my Mark got really drunk on formal night. I mean really drunk. He was talking nonstop about all sorts of icky things at dinner. I was so embarrassed! Of course, the next day, he couldn't remember a thing about it!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

p.s. great story, Kuki. I hope we all get to take a cruise as our last hurrah!

Old October 12th, 2002, 12:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne

i think the worst dinner conversation i had happened last year at a very nice restaurant. i have to say i was really looking forward to the chance to dine there. well, dinner was beautiful until shortly before the cheese cart was rolled around when two people started talking about eating insects. there are quite a few restaurants that have opened up in germany that serve *bugs*. they were being quite serious about worms, grasshoppers and co. when some took it as more of a joke and started really hyping the whole issue.

i dont know about you but i canīt stomach even the mere thought of catepillar salad or toasted grasshoppers with sesame sauce. i also wasnīt the only one at the table who couldnīt stand the thought. i passed on the cheese cart and was glad that most of the meal was almost over.

i think if the situation had been different, i would have reacted differently to the conversation. if this had been a round of beers and people i had known, i probably would have told them all that they are completely grossing me out. except for dh, i didnīt know a soul at this dinner and i didnīt feel for some reason that it was my place to say something and i *stomached* the conversation.

suzanne
Old October 12th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Dinner conversation

What's wrong with that Suzanne?? I eat bugs all the time...........no,wait. I drink Buds all the time.......yeah, that's it. Excuse me!!!

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 13th, 2002, 03:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to suzanne
Default Re: Re: Re: Dinner conversation

thomas,
buds are fine. iīll even join you to enjoy a couple just as long as those buds have nothing to do with bugs :0)

suzanne
Old October 13th, 2002, 08:35 AM
First Mate

hmm.....perhaps if you tried the bugs with ketchup....

Old October 15th, 2002, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Lene, don't worry!

We had wonderful dinner companions on EOS last Jan.-- one couple from Canada, one from England, and a mother/daughter from US. We keep in touch via e-mail and are good friends. When the Brits lost their cruise photos shortly after picking them up, I sent them copies of mine. They were thrilled and sent me a beautiful flower arrangement as a thank you.
We are going on EOS again (W. Carib ) and hoping to make more nice friends. I really don't think these horror stories are the norm and shouldn't scare anyone off.
Old October 16th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Kathie ...

How sweet and nice on both sides!

My bet would be for every horrid experience we hear about there are bazillions (scientific term) of terrific experience we don't hear about.

Old October 16th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Very true, Pamda... it's just human nature to be more vocal about the bad experiences than the good.

But that's what the gripes board is for... to post all the bad experiences so other cruisers can sympathize or comment on them. Or just read them and say, "I'm glad that didn't happen to me!"

I remember a while ago someone proposed a forum for CruiseMates about great cruise experiences... a sort of opposite of the gripes forum... I guess nothing happened with that.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old October 18th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Captain

You know what? I think I was the one who proposed the "great cruise experiences" topic for a board. At least, I was one of the proponets for this. It would fit well here, because on all of our nine cruises so far, on different types of lines, we have yet to have any problems with our fellow guests at dinner, or anywhere else. This contact has allowed us to meet interesting people from parts of the world different from where we live and from the cruise itinerary, and learn more about the world in the bargain. On the line we cruise the most on now, there is totally open seating. When we go to the dining room, we are asked "would you care to dine alone, or with fellow guests?" Given this option, we always elect to dine with fellow guests. Otherwise, we'd miss out on what we consider to be an important part of the cruise experience.

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 19th, 2002, 08:34 PM
First Mate

What would you have done?

We'd been on the ship several times before so knew our way around and decided to unpack and get settled before looking around. From the cabin next door came sounds of passionate love making - we decided were newly weds, turned on the TV and unpacked. The quite drink we'd planned was forgotten.

On our way to dinner, our neighbours emerged at the same time - maybe newly weds but not first timers we decided- they were two of our tablemates! - we were six. Introduced themselves and made no bones about 'just travelling together' - the other couple were, to say the least, very staid....'nuf said, next night we were four!

Polly and Pete were first time cruisers, a quite delightful pair actually until they said ' we love this boat, we never hear a sound from your cabin, you're very quiet people.' ....bit like a kid covering his eyes and saying 'You can't see me!" DUH!!!!!!!!

I tell you we damned near choked on our cream puff and ice cream!!!!!!!!!

What would you have said/done?

Old October 19th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Suki ...

I guess it would not have been cool to say, "Interesting. I believe you reached a joint moment of exquisite joy at 4:42 this afternoon. Maybe the soundproofing only works one way?"

My cats believe they are invisible when they put their heads under small rugs.

There is a good reason to take ear plugs

Old October 20th, 2002, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have been on 29 cruises ,not boasting, just to let it be known we have had a lot of dinner companions. Always request a table for 6 or 8. All have been great except for one open seating lunch. It only took 5 minutes and we were glad we did not have this gal (about 30) for a eveing companion for the whole cruise. We were in our late 50"s then and 2 other couples were in their early 70's. After all introductions, this gals first sentence was "Old retire people should stay home in the rocking chairs and let the cruises be for young people" The gentlemen sitting next to me only said "I BEG YOUR PARDON". She worked in a nursing home. Heaven help her patients
Old October 20th, 2002, 10:08 PM
TamiM

My mind is boggled by that woman's statement. Esp. as she is a nurse, we are trained to bite our tonges and smile no matter what we are really thinking. I will remember my training on my upcomming cruise , and also not discuss the "fun" parts of my job!

Tami M.
Old October 21st, 2002, 03:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Dinner conversation

This women said "Old retired people should stay home an sit in their rocking chairs and let the cruising for the young people." When we learned she worked in a nursing home, we asked if she had such an attitude, how could she cope with the "Old" people in the nursing home. (Get ready for her answer) She said they sedate them. Wasn't that a beautiful answer.
There is nothing wrong talking about funny things that happen on your job, including nursing homes. But hers was not funny.
Old October 21st, 2002, 10:48 PM
TamiM

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Dinner conversation

Not only wasn't it funny, it may be illegal. I know med have to be prescribed by MDs, but that sounds like chemical restraints. But, what do I know, we don't use any type of restraints in Labor/delivery.

Tami M.