Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Bottled Water

Some of the gripes below discuss the price of bottled water on ships. Why drink it at all?
In the first place, many varities of bottled water come from various city's municipal water supplies. Secondly, most new ships distill their drinking water supply. Thirdly, if you need safe water on shore, you can probably buy it there more cheaply than on the ship. And, if you believe bottled water is better or safer, guess what goes into your coffee, tea, mixed drinks, ice or such things on shore?
Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Captain

Default Re: Bottled Water

The only reason I ever drink bottled water is when I'm in a place where the tap water is either unsafe for drinking or tastes bad. It is the latter reason that I drink it on SOME cruise ships. On one RCI ship I was on a little over a year ago, they actually had a sign over the bathroom sink stating that the water was safe to drink but may taste bad. The could have left out the word "may" because it was really bad! Kind of strange, when I think of it, because the water in the restaurants and in the dispenser at the Windjammer buffet restaurant was fine. And the room service ice was fine, too. Could it be that they were doing something (or omitting to do something) to the tap water in the rooms to sell us bottled water?

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 20th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Paul Beighley

Default Re: Re: Bottled Water

Guess that I m lucky. I have cruised on RCI seven times and always found the water from the tap very good. Perhaps they knew you were coming and gave you the"special" cabin.
Old October 21st, 2002, 07:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Bottled Water

Paul,
I too have never had a problem with the tap water on board, but I'm not into drinking a lot of water, so for me its been fine!

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 21st, 2002, 01:02 PM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Re: Bottled Water

If the water on tap in the cabin is good, then I drink it along with you and the others. Perhaps the RCI Grandeur was just having a temporary problem with bad tasting tap water when we sailed her in '01. I recall we were on her in '98 and had no such problem then. When the tap water on a ship tastes OK, we just refill the water bottles and put them in the refrigerator (we always spring for a room with one of these). I recall buying a bottle of water one time, and the fine print on the bottle said the water came from the municipal water supply of the city of Cleveland! Enough said!

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 21st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Admiral

You can also take a water filter such as a Brita and stick it in your fridge.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:09 AM
Admiral

The tap water on the ship and most places on shore is fine to drink. I do bring bottled water with me, though, for when I'm onshore. It's convenient and portable. Especially in hot climates, it's very important to stay hydrated, and sometimes it's hard to find the time to stop at a cafe or restaurant for a drink, especially on a supervised shore excursion.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Fantasy Fest in Key West