Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 5th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Passenger

Default View-hogs

OK, now that I've complained about the derth of gripes recently, I guess I should get a few off my list. What's up with people "bogarting" the view? I was recently on my first (of many, I hope) cruise - inside passage. On a couple occasions, I'd placed my daughter's stroller at a point where I was not blocking anyone's view and where no one was blocking ours either. Both times, there was a point at which I'd inched the stroller back from the railing a bit and bent down to provide a snack for my daughter (1 year old). When I stood up again just a minute of two later, I discovered that someone had squeezed into position directly in front of us, thus rendering our position without a clear view.

Another time, while on a shore excursion boat (whale watching), I'd taken my daughter to the bathroom for a diaper change... trying to be considerate of my fellow travelers by not exposing them to the pungent scent. I left my backpack on the bench where we'd been sitting right beside the window for the previous hour. I was gone no more than 5 minutes and upon my return, I saw that a woman had taken our seat - just as a pod of Orca were spotted off our bow. She sat there for the next 15-20 minutes as I tried to subtly indicate "I'm back, please vacate my spot" while the pod frolicked beside us - sometimes coming within a few feet of the hull. Once the pod had moved on, she "graciously" let us back to our previous spot.

I know I should not have let these people off without some comment but I was taught manners. Any suggestions for what I can do when this happens again?

Post Edited (11-05-02 19:35)
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: View-hogs

Yes, next time return to your spot and tell the person who took your seat there's a huge pod on the other side of the ship. When they get up to move over there your seat is again available.

Regards,
Thomas
Old November 6th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Admiral

Oh Thomas, you are so sneaky! ROFLMAO

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 6th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Passenger

I like that idea. I may have to choose my words carefully so that, while I am implying that the view is better on the other side, I don't actually lie - d@m! those ethics/morals my parents instilled in me!
Old November 7th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Admiral

How about, "Oh, thanks for saving my seat while I changed the baby."

As a vertically challenged individual, I can't understand why tall people can't let small people toward the front of the view.

Old November 7th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Dean Renner

Lisa,

Unfortunately -- and I have no explanation for why this is -- we are now living in the "me" world, as opposed to the "we" world.

It seems to me that many persons these days are concerned only with themselves, disregarding the concerns of others.

I'll give you a recent example: Our county provides curb-side leaf pick-up once per month this time of year. The county asks us to pile our leaves up out in the street, 18 inches from the curb, and a sweeper will come by on the designated week, and sweep them up. Well, we piled up our leaves Sunday, as the county tells us only which week they will sweep the leaves, not the exact day. So, what happens? We've had people drive right through our leaves (piled about knee-high) and spread them all over the street, necessitating our re-sweeping them into a coherent pile -- nothing like being courteous and driving around them. We've had our neighbor park his truck right next to our leaves the night before the sweeper came, and blocked its approach to sweep up our leaves. The sweeper did manage to sweep up about 1/2 of our leaves, but now we either have to wait another month for the sweeper to come back, or we need to pile them in our yard, so that they're off the street, and then re-pile them back into the street for next month.

How would it be if everyone considered the concerns of others, in addition to their own concerns, and made the world a better place through their efforts........................

Dean
Old November 8th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Hijoly

Default Re: Re: View-hogs

It seems if you left the kid at home your problems wouls be solved.
Old November 8th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Admiral

Ouch, Hijoly.

Harsh !!!

Old November 8th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Passenger

Hijoly,
I beg your pardon? I'll assume you were kidding when you said if I "left the kid at home your problems would be solved". My child's presence did not cause the rude behavior on the part of others so I do not see how her absence would have prevented it. I paid full fare for her (infant rates only apply when there are two full paying fares in the same cabin... an assumption that seems to penalize single parents) so she had just as much right to be there as did those who inserted themselves in our way. Leaving to change her diaper could just as easily have been a trip to the snack bar for hot chocolate. Turning from the view to give her a snack might have been instead turning to my neighbor to comment on the lovely view, turning to look for a friend, etc. Just because these occurances all happened at times I was otherwise occupied with my child's care does not mean that I would not have similar experiences when she wasn't there... OK, I'll get out of my "protective mother mode" now.

Pamda,
I'm also of the "vertically challenged" group and wonder the same thing many times. The only time I want to be behind someone taller is when the camera is pointed my way... ;->
Old November 9th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Yeoman

I really don't think it is wise to leave an item to save your seat anyway. Wasn't there someone nearby holding down their own fort that could have spoken for you? I have gladly saved spots IF it was for the bathroom or a run to get more film. NOT for the people who want to plop down an item and then go eat in the dining room.
Old November 12th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default a bit OT...

There is also the flip side of being polite - people who want the best at the last minute.

I volunteered at the MN Science Museum for it's grand opening (new location) specifically so that I could see Bill Nye the Science Guy. I grabbed a spot in an odd location, but I could see the whole area, and have something to lean against. I claImed that spot about 20 min before he was set to begin. About 2 or 3 min before the start time, a mother started harassing me to move so that her kids (about 10 and 12, I think) could see better. If I had moved, then I wouldn't have been able to see at all!

I agree that all people should be able to see, but why should I have to defer to a child, just because they're a child?

On topic - I'd say that when you left your seat, unless someone was saving your spot for you, that woman had a right to sit down. If you leave a deck chair, how does anyone know when you'll be back? How did she know you'd be back?
Old November 13th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Unless the child was unusually tall or could only see while being held, thus blocking the view, I wouldn't mind having him/her move in front of me. The parent, though, would have to find the best spot nearby and should not expect me to move. If that child could only see with assistance, then again the parent should find the best spot still available and be OK with that. I don't believe that having a child with you should automatically get you the prime viewing spot.

I guess I felt that leaving my backpack, as well as my daughter's stroller, was an indication I would be back. If I had dropped those items there then left for more than 5-10 minutes, I could understand a person choosing to move my items to a less desirable viewing location assuming I wasn't coming back anytime soon. I agree with many posters that saving a deck chair, dining table, etc. that won't actually be used for 15 or more minutes is rude and selfish.

I didn't ask someone to save my place for me because we'd left the seat twice before (for the hot chocolate and cookies) and returned quickly with no problems. Also, I don't fault the woman for sitting in our place just that it would have been nice if she'd at least acknowledged that she'd usurped our place and let us back to the window while the whales were still in view.
Old November 16th, 2002, 02:01 PM
dreamer

"excuse me, but you are in my seat." "excuse me, you have just blocked my view."