CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Travel Gripes! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/)
-   -   Refunds (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/travel-gripes/295305-refunds.html)

Fly Guy January 14th, 2003 03:09 PM

Refunds

Unfortunately, my wife has just been diagnosed with cancer and will require radiation during the period we were planning on cruising (mar. 2 ). RCCL is refusing to return our deposit or move the deposit to another cruise (which would be fine). Can anyone give me any advise on how to approach this....

Donna January 14th, 2003 03:58 PM

Re: Refunds

Hi Fly Guy,
Very sorry to hear about your wife's condition, hope all the treatments go well. I think if you cancel now, since its a little less than the 60 days before the cruise, you can still cancel, but it will cost a penalty, which would still be better than loosing the whole amount. Did you purchase any travel insurance, if so, that should cover it?? I know with the penalty, the closer it is to the cruise the amount you loose does go up, so you need to decide what to do ASAP.

Too bad RCCL will not just transfer the booking to a later date, may-be your travel agent can try talking to them again??

Good luck!

sue January 14th, 2003 04:00 PM

First of all let me express my regret for your wife. I will keep her in my prayers. Now to the refund. Call and talk to the customer relationship dep. Ask for someone in charge like a manager. Talk to the highest ranking person at this departement. Explain them your story and offer them a letter from your doctor too. I too had to cancell 2 cruises last year because we went to germany.Not a very big emergency but all my family memebrs are ill. The first cruise I received all my money back and the second cruise which was less then 60 days away I had to pay a I think $800 penalty. If you booked the cruise last year in the brochure the penalties for canceling are different then in the new catalog.Check your brochure...Lets see old catalog 7 night cruise 60 or more days no charge 59-30 days deposit amount 29-8 days 50% of total price 7 or less no refund. They must give you the money back....new catalog : 7 night 70 or more days no charge 69-30 deposit amount 29-8 50%of total price etc. If you have the old brochure which is valid until2002-2003 march/april you should be all set. Sorry this took so long..again good luck and let me know how you made out If you need the old brochure ask and I am sure soemone will send you one.its the one that has the lady swimming with sting rays...They have to honor those prices and rules for the month advertised....

sue January 14th, 2003 04:01 PM

First of all let me express my regret for your wife. I will keep her in my prayers. Now to the refund. Call and talk to the customer relationship dep. Ask for someone in charge like a manager. Talk to the highest ranking person at this departement. Explain them your story and offer them a letter from your doctor too. I too had to cancell 2 cruises last year because we went to germany.Not a very big emergency but all my family memebrs are ill. The first cruise I received all my money back and the second cruise which was less then 60 days away I had to pay a I think $800 penalty. If you booked the cruise last year in the brochure the penalties for canceling are different then in the new catalog.Check your brochure...Lets see old catalog 7 night cruise 60 or more days no charge 59-30 days deposit amount 29-8 days 50% of total price 7 or less no refund. They must give you the money back....new catalog : 7 night 70 or more days no charge 69-30 deposit amount 29-8 50%of total price etc. If you have the old brochure which is valid until2002-2003 march/april you should be all set. Sorry this took so long..again good luck and let me know how you made out If you need the old brochure ask and I am sure soemone will send you one.its the one that has the lady swimming with sting rays...They have to honor those prices and rules for the month advertised....

franklins January 14th, 2003 06:48 PM

You are in our prayers also

ErnieMCC January 14th, 2003 09:48 PM

Re: Re: Refunds

With all due respect, and joining with the others wishing your wife well, I must say that the cancellation penalties are clearly publicized in the cruise line brochures. Insurance, as I have often stated in these premises, is a must in my opinion. No one in my family and none of my friends, including me, would I ever let book a cruise without Insurance.

I don't know where you draw the line. How about someone who needs sudden open heart surgery... and will recover fully... how about pneumonia... how about a broken ankle? Where would you expect the cruise line to draw the line about exceptions? Inside of 60 days it becomes increasingly difficult to sell empty cabins. Should the line lose that revenue even after it advised people of the penalty?

What we often have is someone who is fully aware of the penalties in place... and who tries to save the cost of the Insurance... and then, when tragedy strikes, tries to have it both ways... and get the refund that others have paid money to have guaranteed by Insurance. I know this sounds cold and hard... but I'd love to know why this poster did not purchase Insurance. He may have elected to take the gamble, and, unfortunately lost.

Post Edited (01-15-03 07:31)

robbie January 24th, 2003 02:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Refunds

Don't feel alone here Ernie, even though I (almost) NEVER buy insurance, I understand the penalty risk involved and I would hope the poster does too. In the past, the cruise line may have filled the cabin after his cancellation, but that is not so easily done in this "soft" market. The penalty should be applied but I would also ask customer service to transfer the booking and be understanding if they declined.