Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Default Allergies and Cruising

I am always amazed at all the things cruisers are allergic to and dislike. Allergic to smoke..cleaning agents...perfume...etc. Some cruisers don't like how some dress...talk....eat...show affection etc. Why would people like this want to cruise? Surely, they know before the cruise that they will be in close contact with many people of different backgrounds and habits. Why not take a holiday where they are not exposed to people of different habits and backgrounds? I have read a few posts on these boards where some cruisers seem so allergic to everything that I wonder how they can even leave their home. One poster on another board critized the late night ADULT comedy show because the act contained profanity. Wow!!! really??? profanity at a late night ADULT comedy show...who would guess? lol.

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Allergies and Cruising

Rick, I'm sure some of them will love me. I ordinarily walk with canes. But I will take my wheelchair aboard, because I don't do lines very well. I will considerately keep it in my cabin, when I don't need it. I will likely have to take it up to the dining room on formal night, since any shoes heavier than sneakers tend to trip me. I will, at times, go to the appropriate area on the ship to light up my pipe. Again, I will try to be considerate. But if Carnival designates one side of the ship smoking, the other non, I will not be held accountable for the direction the wind blows. All of this will occur while the ship pumps lots of diesel exhaust into the atmosphere, anyway. And to get where all of this will take place, I will drive my SUV. Won't they love me!!!!

I would not be surprised to hear that someone is suing Skippy because their product contains peanuts. It doesn't take all kinds to make a world; but if you make a world, you'll get all kinds.

Steve

19 days until Sensation

Post Edited (01-20-03 15:13)
Old January 20th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Allergies and Cruising

And to think they'll come back and book another cruise!!! Sheeeshh.................

Regards,
Thomas
Old January 21st, 2003, 06:17 AM
cruisepimp

Rick... I know where your'e coming from bro... alot of people complain about folks drinking and partying on the Lido deck...Imagine that... a party on a cruise.
Old January 21st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Marnie

It's obvious that some people never get out. Most allergies develop because people aren't exposed to a particular substance, then when they are it's a problem. I go to comedy shows in my home town probably 10 times a year and there's always profanity (except for the Sunday matinee versions). I've learned to tolerate it and expect it. You'd have to have been born yesterday to not know that. Don't people realize that a cruiseship is like a really large mall when it comes to how close everyone will be. That's part of the charm. If you really want to get away from people, there's always the library.
Old January 21st, 2003, 12:17 PM
Admiral

And if the people who post who are worried about their severe allergies to smoke had done a little research before they booked, they would have found out that there is an option out there especially for them - the Carnival Paradise.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 21st, 2003, 12:47 PM
susancruzs

Marnie, absolutely true! My allergist just bawled me out because since I quit working, I've been sicker and in to see him more in 6 months than I have in 3 years!!! :-)

I always read those posts and laugh, if something bothers you, don't do it! It always amazes me that people want the majority to adjust to them rather than maybe they should find a different lounge chair if they're annoyed??

I hate smoke, I have asthma and I have yet to have a problem on a cruise! I've cruised with the CruiseMates group, which includes smokers, what's the big deal? I refuse to limit my friends or my life based on the smoking issue. I survived on the Costa Atlantica which was smokier than other ships, and I enjoyed my cruise!

Susie
Old January 21st, 2003, 06:37 PM
Gary Karschnick

I agree with all the above posts. However, there is one area that I would like to comment on. When going on bus tours, ladies, please do not bathe in perfume. Many of us are allergic enough to it so as to have serious health problems.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 07:04 AM
Marnie

Susancruzs,
When I quit smoking, I was sick for an entire year. Well, I had a few good weeks, but pretty much the entire year. It has now been 7.5 years and have only had maybe 2 or 3 colds since then. So I'm feel much better than when I smoked, but it was a big adjustment. I was miserable and questioned if quitting was doing any good. But I stuck with it glad I did. Smoke doesn't bother me. I'm around it enough because I have friends that smoke.

Granted some people have serious allergies, but more often than not, people complain they have allergies just because their sinuses get stuffed up, they feel congested and cough or their eyes get itchy and watery or some combination of the symptoms. Anything you are not used to could cause that. Everyone would be happier if they got off the couch, went to the travel agent and booked a cruise. So you have to smell stinky perfumes and smoke. Small price to pay and just doesn't rank with my top gripes.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 11:27 AM
Admiral

ok here's another perspective from a chronic allergy sufferer. Get to your allergist and take your Medications!! You won't hear me whiiinnnnninng about my allergies,( i have them under control with medication so there is no excuse)especially on a cruise, i'm not looking for a pity party and have a very low tolerance for those who are.
Old January 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
MichelleM

Default Re: Re: Re: Allergies and Cruising

My hubbie is allergic to smoke and perfume but he has his allergies under control with medication and we enjoy cruising. Our next cruise is on the Paradise, not soley because it is smokefree but because we are very interested the new western route.
Old January 23rd, 2003, 04:47 PM
Sue Sue

MichelleM, When do you sail? My hubby and I are heading out on the new itinerary in March. As repeat Paradise cruisers, we are looking forward to something different. BTW, did you see that the new ports are now posted on the Carnival site. I would be interested on your husband's take on the Non-smoking Paradise in comparison to other ships you have sailed on. I asked my travel agent who decided to sail with my group last March the same question and his response was in my opinion very fair and interesting. Have a great time. Oh , almost forgot, this is the gripe message board....Well, I will just ask, in the spirit of griping of course, if you guys are picking on us non-smoker fanatic's AGAiN??? Thankfully one thing we can agree on is that cruising is a great vacation! Bon Voyage! 58 days, 22 hours, 17 min and 10 seconds until PARADISE!
Old January 23rd, 2003, 06:56 PM
First Mate

geeesshhhhhh and I thought that big ship was all for myself......<G>

Majesty Of The Seas 06
Carnival Victory06
Holland America Oosterdam 05
Carnival inspiration04
Carnival Destiny04
Carnival Legend03
Imagination99
Sensation94,96,98,01
Jubilee92,97,00
Festival87
Old January 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM
MichelleM

SueSue, we are on the 2/23/03 sailing of the Paradise. The first new western route sailing.
Old January 25th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Tim Agg

In 1998 a group of 6 of us cruised to Alaska on HAL's Westerdam. One had a gluten allergy and, with many years of experience, had little difficulty in choosing suitable menu items. She was also celebrating her 60th bithday - and the rest of us had almost written off arranging anything special until one of us spoke to the maitre 'd - and the next evening, the kitchen delivered to our table [ along with with singing waiters and sparklers] a tasty and well-frosted birthday cake made of rice flour. I was most impressed with HAL's ability and willingness to respond with little notice.
Old January 26th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Sue Sue

Michelle, Great! I hope to read all about it!
Old January 26th, 2003, 04:51 PM
kareen

My parents have groups every year that go to Biloxi and a cruise. One year this lady signed up to go to Biloxi, which is strictly a gambling vacation. She told my mother that the ringing of the slot machines bothers her. My mom told her that if she can't stand the sound of the slot machines then perhaps she need to stay home. She did sign up to go on the land vacation.--- Go BUCS!!!!!!
Old January 26th, 2003, 10:32 PM
martinimomma.

PLEASE RICK AND THOMAS: Please stay home. I won't know how to cruise any more if you're on board!!! And neither will 1,949 other people plus the crew!!!
Old January 27th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Thomas...What did you do now !!!!???? <G> Martinimomma.....for me your post is like some personalized license plates..might make sense to you but absolutely none to me <G>.