Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2003, 10:38 AM
Admiral

Default I think i have solved the "attire" questions

it was one of those "duuuh" moments. I am surprised that nobody else thought of this. When in doubt ask the MaitreD. My girlfriend did this on our last cruise. She wasn't sure if shorts would be allowed in the dining room first night, she asked the MaitreD and he gave her a straight answer of yes, shorts would be fine in the main dining room on the first night. No judgement, just the correct answer.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2003, 12:14 PM
ene

Default Re: I think i have solved the "attire" questions

There are situations where shorts are allowed.....ie: Your luggage never arrived! Which was the case with my family, once.

We were rather embarassed because we knew full well, not to wear shorts!

We were informed that if our luggage did not arrive, to please make arrangements for proper attire for the next evening.

It cost a small fortune, which is why I beleive in insurance, because we did not get our luggage for three days!

Now on our first cruise day, we pack our swimsuits and resort casual dinner attire in our carry-ons.

With all the information available in magazines and websites, it seems that wearing shorts, even on the first night.........well you get the point!
Old February 3rd, 2003, 01:36 PM
Admiral

The airlines also have a policy.....will reimburse you up to a certain amount a day for replacement clothes and needed items till you get your baggage.
Old February 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: I think i have solved the "attire" questio

I've only had my luggage lost once when cruising. My wife no more than returned from visiting the purser when the Front Desk Supervisor called to offer her appologies and let us know that the line was checking into it. They followed up within an hour with a letter letting me know that the dining room had been notified that we would not have the appropriate attire (I had travelled in jeans), offering free formal wear rental to my wife and I, $100 shipboard credit, free laundry service, and a bottle of champagne.

The luggage arrived at the first port of call on the third day and our cabin steward delivered it to our cabin first thing. The line applogized once again and provided me a letter documenting the situation to provide the airline.

The line...Holland America. While I have travelled on two other lines, no one has come close to this level of service.
Old February 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Here's my solution:

Introducing the MULLEXEDO! The same folks who brought you the mullet--remember the "business in the front, party in the back" haircut?--now bring you a suit that's formal above the tableline, casual below. The kit comes complete with white shirt, studs, cufflinks, and bowtie. You just supply the jeans, cutoffs, or whatever lower garment you please. No-one who sees you seated at the table will ever know.

But wait! There's more! If you order right now, you'll also receive an elegant watch that's guaranteed to be perpetually five to ten minutes late. You'll not only make an appearance, you'll make an entrance!

Supplies are limited. Order yours, today!

Steve
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Admiral

Well, what's the phone number so I can order, lol.
Old February 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Admiral

Sorry. Garment is not available for sell or purchase in latitudes North of 90 Degrees South, or South of 90 Degrees North. Neither is it available in Longitudes West of the Greewich Meridian, or East of the International Date Line. Purchaser/wearer of garment assumes all risks and liabilities for all consequences of product usage including, but not limted to, behind the back laughter, real or imagined, or real or perceived social isolation, or utter contempt of Maitre D' (not applicable in Paris) or restaurant patrons. Manufacturer and vendor also hereby disclaim all responsibility for any and all marital disputes stemming from attempted use of product.
:-)
Old February 27th, 2003, 07:49 AM
OBrienLads

Default Re: Re: Re: I think i have solved the "attire" que

I thought you said that was the only time you lost your luggage. If so, how do you know if the other lines would have stepped up to the plate or not? Just an observation.
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Steven Seaman

I have experienced another line going the extra mile in this case. Even though I'm not a big fan of NCL (only cruised them once), they did step up to the plate when the "Airline" lost our luggage on our Alaskan cruise. We traveled from Philly to Vancouver with a change of planes in San Francisco (which is where are luggage got lost). When our luggage was not on the carousel at the airport, I was devasatated. We went to the lost luggage counter and filled out the forms, I must say, the airline was very un-sympathetic. They told us they would have it taken to the ship once it is located. Anyway, were on the ship and its 5pm, the ship sets sail, UGH! We went to the pursers desk and filled out the paperwork, they said not all luggage had been delivered, so be paitent. By the way there was an older couple on our flight from philly going on the same cruise, their luggage was also lost, and he had packed some very important medication. Its now time for dinner, no luggage, we went back to the purser's desk. They apologized and said they would credit each of our three onboard accounts with $200 and sent someone to our stateroom to size us for Tux's for the next nights formal dinner and also gave us free laundry service. Even though this was not the fault of the cruiseline, I thought it was very good PR! I did send a letter to NCL for their outstanding service in this manner. By the way, we did finally receive our luggage on the 3rd day in Ketchikan. I always wondered how the airline got it there to this very small town?
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Winner

Why oh why would one pack "very important medication" in checked luggage? ALL my medications are with me in my carryon; there are too may places that cannot re-supply one's medication, especially without a current prescription.
Old March 9th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Passenger

Couldn't agree with you more, we saw this man's wife several times thoughout the cruise before getting our luggage, we always asked how he was. She said he was exetremely sick, could not leave the cabin. We finally saw them together that night we got our luggage and he was feeling much better. But man-o-man, I would never take a chance of ruining my vacation for something that is so easy to carry with you. Hope that was a lesson learned!