Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:27 PM
Admiral

Default Against Dolphin Encounters

I wish that the cruise lines would not offer Dolphin excursions. I think it is a shame to keep these beautiful creatures in activity so we can amuse ourselves. If set free, I doubt that they would miss humans. I am not a tree hugger but have always found Dolphin encounters to be distastful. Agree? Disagree?

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Against Dolphin Encounters

Most definately agree with this one. It's a shame to see such beautiful creatures held captive by money hungry opportunists.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:13 PM
Admiral

I disagree.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 2nd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Winner

Rick--I absolutely agree! Dolphins are one Earth's most intelligent creatures and should not be exploited either in encounters or in "waterwolds". Can you imagine what they say to each other (yes they CAN communicate) about us?
Old April 2nd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Suzie

Rick,
I always agree with you!

Suz
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Against Dolphin Encounters

Great subject. I'd much rather have people encounters!
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Agree 100 %.
Sometimes I think it would be great to put some people in cages and let aminals
gather around and stare at them for a change.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 07:22 AM
Carol & Richard

We would agree, too.

As far as what the dolphins say to each other, here in the UK about 20 years ago there was a series of comedy science fiction books called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". In one of them, there was discusssion about whether humans or dolphins were the more intelligent.

The human argument was that they were brighter because they had done all sorts of things - invented automobiles and aircraft, built skyscrapers, modified their environment and so on, whereas all the dolphins had done was look cool and mess about in the water all day having fun.
The dolphins thought they were the most intelligent FOR EXACTLY THE SAME REASONS!

Richard
Old April 3rd, 2003, 08:11 AM
Admiral

I agree but I do have to admit I would love to have the dolphin swim simply because they are intriguing creatures and beautiful. Of course I would prefer this swim to be in the ocean on a chance encounter vs the captivity encounter.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 09:11 AM
Admiral

I agree. I think the only viable reason to keep dolphins in captivity would be if they were ill or injured and needed medical and rehabilitative help.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 3rd, 2003, 02:32 PM
First Mate

What about the simple fact that the US Navy is using them in this war to detect mines!!! I would much rather see a dolphin at a water park than to see one get blown to pieces, even though they say the dolphin's presence doesn't set off the mine. There is always a chance that it could detonate while the dolphin in sniffing around. Now THAT, I don't agree with!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well, PETA may be banging on my door soon, but ......
I'd rather see dolphins put at risk clearing mines, than people. And I have also experienced, and enjoyed a swim with the dolphins.
No question they are beautiful animals, and intelligent enough to be trained for certain tasks.
I think many times we worry less about people, and the way they are treated, than we do about animals.

Old April 3rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Born2Cruise

I couldn't have said it better myself Kuki....I guess PETA will be at my house after yours!!!

remember..........MEMORIES LAST A LIFETIME!!!!!!
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:05 PM
Admiral

not sure what this has to do with PETA

Old April 3rd, 2003, 11:35 PM
Captain

Rick:

Here's a strange answer: I don't know! I don't know whether dolphins like human contact or not. I am reminded of a bunch of PETA types who decided dog shows were inhumane. These people must have never had a canine companion in their lives. Otherwise, they would have known that dogs LOVE dog shows, as they are the center of attention, and dogs love nothing more than this. So these goofs broke in and set a bunch of miniture dogs like Pomeranians, Yorkies, and such "free", and the dogs got onto a nearby freeway and were all run over and killed. Without this misguided intervention, these dogs would have gotten to prance around a ring, enjoyed the fact that everyone was watching and cheering them, and gone on to live pampered lives.

Then there is this unforgettable article in this week's "People" magazine about these people in South Africa who found a baby hippo orphaned and washed up on a river bank. Well, they adpoted her, kept her in their home, and let her sleep on their bed. Problem. She grew. Now she weighs 3,200 lbs.! Problem. She still loves her adoptive parents, wants in the house, and on the bed. Whoa!

Well, that's their problem. Mine is that my dogs have gone upstairs and climbed into my bed, and wonder where I am, so I must go. Bottom line is that many animals love human contact and attention. Some don't, I guess. But if dolphins do, there is no abuse here.

Thanks,
Richard
Old April 4th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Hijolly

Default Re: Re: Re: Against Dolphin Encounters

When a mine goes off there is not much let to see of the dolphin. So whats the problem?
Old April 4th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Admiral

I'm a PEPETAM--Person for the Euthanization of PETA Members. I'm convinced that the P in PETA stands for Psychos. And that's all the mention they deserve.

Just a couple of observations about dogs and dolphins. My late dog was smarter than many people I know. And yes, she slept with my wife and me. In fact, she used to let us know when it was time for bed. She would stand at the end of the hallway that led to the stairs, with her tail straight out, while she looked over her shoulder to make sure we could see her. If we didn't look at her, she could come in and nudge us so we would watch her walk to the end of the hallway and assume the pose. If we were staying up too late, she would not leave us alone. She created that signal on her own, we did not teach her to do that. But we quickly learned what she was trying to tell us. She taught me that owning a dog is a matter of mutual training. She died two and a half years ago at the age of 16. I still miss her.

The Navy has never lost a dolphin to a mine and they've been using them in that capacity since the Vietnam era. And the dolphins can take their freedom if they wish.
Recently, one who was employed in the Basra area went AWOL for a couple of days.
The trainer assumed he was lost and was quite surprised when he showed up in the pen again. Seems he met a maritime mama and went for a little R&R, and came back after his vacation.

I once knew a lady who worked at a dolphin show. She told me that if the creatures worked a too hectic schedule, they would stop responding to their signals. At that time the operators of the marine park would open the pens let the dolphins go free. And they always came back. They seem to enjoy human company--at least some of them.

Personally I like seeing them in the wild, too. But I don't blame folks for wanting to get close to them. Just don't abuse or humanize them.

Steve

Post Edited (04-05-03 08:52)

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old April 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Thank you Steve - I whole-heartedly agree with you about the P in PETA -

that said - I am going on the dolphin swim excursion in Cozumel next week - and I can hardly wait. It has been on my "list of things to in my lifetime" - ever since I can remember actually seeing my first real dolphin. I already warned my friends that I am such a weenie - that being so close to them might make me cry!

I can respect other's feelings on this subject - I just happen to agree with Kuki, that many times we do think more about the way animals are treated than people.

I would never want harm to come to any animals - and I love marine animals and always have. Just getting the chance to swim with them and touch one.... I get shivers!

Take care,

Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:33 PM
mordenel

I'll be going on a dolphin encounter in a couple of weeks and can't wait. My seven year old loves all creatures and will remember the encounter for the rest of her life. Perhaps it will inspire her career choice since she already has me catch and release spiders (found in the house) to the wild. These encounters always teach respect for wildlife and conservation and protection of habitat - the days of animal exploitation are numbered.
Old April 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Admiral

Sheeeeesh Rick, they're just dolphins. If they don't like the treatment they're getting they can always file a greivance with their Union Steward. Don't get me wrong, I love dolphins; they taste great with Michelob!

J/K of course.

Regards,
Thomsa
Old April 7th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Admiral

I always say that I like dolphins--taste like tuna. That really gets to the few Psychos for the Ethical treatment of animals that I know. Of course, if I knew it was dolplin, I might lose my apetite--call it Flipper fever. And--okay you can laugh, my wife certainly does--I'm afraid that I have a kind heart for spiders myself. I think it's my mom's fault.

She always used to tell us some old fable that during the flight to Egypt, Jesus, Mary and Joseph took shelter in a cave. Herod's soldiers were right on their tails. But a spider spun a web over the entrance to the cave. The soldiers, seeing the web, decided that no one could possibly be in the cave. Hence, the spider saved the Savior and so we should save spiders. That story is not in any version of the Bible I know of.

Whether or not dolphins have language is debatable. They certainly communicate and display coordinated behavior. Bees communicate but the communications are in response to stimuli. One of the criteria of language is that the communciation can occur in the absence of such stimuli. If a dolphin is ever found that knows how to tell lies, we'll know they have true language. In absence of that, they're just very fascinating, delightful creatures. If they can be trained to interact with humans, without the use of cruelty, there's nothing wrong with the encounters. IMHO.

Steve

Steve

Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 03/07
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old April 8th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Dolphin is also a kind of fish - here in the U.S., its name has been changed to mahi-mahi to make it more "socially palatable" - so with that in mind, it's perfectly acceptable to say that dolphin is delicious!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old April 8th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Richard,
I agree with you. And I disagree with the original poster.

I have participated in the Swim with the Dolphins in Freeport. It was an amazing experience. The dolphins do live in captivity, but they are released into the ocean, much like you would let you dog go out for a walk, and they always return. Who is to say that the don't enjoy the human interaction. Not to mention, they are well cared for, well fed and very much loved by their trainers and those who visit. These are amazing animals, who without being prompted, "cleaned" up by picking up trash (piece of paper or something) that would fly into the water and hold it on their nose until a trainer retrieved it from them.

Jenni
Old April 8th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Seahunks:

I have to disagree; Jesus, Joseph and Mary couldn't have taken a flight to Egypt since planes (and of course those little seats and bad food) had not been invented yet! Of course, I am not very good with history so I may have my dates mixed up!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 9th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Good one Marc!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old April 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

First about the trained dolphins used by the USN. Get over it. The chances are non-existant that they will set of the mine, doesn't work that way and even if it did, as much as I love this animal human life is more important, at least most humans. <G>
As for the captivity, so long as we care for them well and they do well I don't have much of a problem as it allows us humans to see, interact, and learn about these wonderful creatures. I am fortunate enough that I live in Florida and have been blessed with interacting with these animals in the wild. They have shared waves with me while bodysurfing, examined my jetski, and played in the area we have been in and even allowed us to touch them. Amazing creatures that seems to actually like being with people.
Jim

Old April 9th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Marc, I just heard it on the radio the other day. A Sunday school teacher asked the class to draw pictures of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph's flight to Egypt. One puplil turned in a picture of an airplane with four people in it. Teacher asked who the fourth one was.
The kid said, "Pontius." "Who?" the teacher asked. "The Pilot."

Steve

Steve

Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 03/07
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old April 9th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Passenger

My best friend once worked at a park that had dolphins. Every evening the dolphins were let out into the ocean. My friend and her coworkers often went swimming at this time. The dolphins would often approach them and play around them. After a while the dolphins would return to the park for their dinner. She feels that the dolphins enjoyed their "work" and appreciated the easy access to food! They could have easily just swam away if they didn't like their situation.

Old April 9th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Admiral

The mammal dolphins and the fish dolphins are two different creatures. The edible dolphin (fish) are named Mahi Mahi from Hawaii. You will usually see them on walls as trophies, but you won't see the mammal dolphin on walls. Not much of a sport catch.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 10th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Admiral

That's what I was trying to say, Thomas. Gosh, wouldn't it be shocking if you went to someone's house and there was a mammal dolphin mounted on their wall? Ugh! Although that's my reaction to most hunting trophies.

Cheers,
Michelle B.