Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Default Delta Baggage Weight Penalty

If I am wrong in what I state here, please correct me. I think the bagage policy for Delta needs looking at by Delta Management. If I read it right....... Each ticketed passenger is allowed 2 checked bags not to exceed 50 lbs per bag. If you do exceed it, a 40 dollar per bag charge applies (re Delta Cust Svc). What I don't get is...... if you check ONE bag and it exceeds 50 lbs..you pay. ???? BUT if you check 2 bags at 50 lbs each per ticketed pax, you are okay. Would seem to me that Delta is indirectly encouraging people to carry an extra checked baggage . I understand that baggage handlers can hurt themselves lifting extremely heavy objects....this does'nt eliminate that...you just pay more. Your carry on can't exceed 40 lbs....so your checked baggage only carries 10 lbs more than your carry on . Who figures these weights out <G>? Has anyone flying Delta been charged extra because checked bag exceeded 50 lbs?

Post Edited (04-06-03 12:28)

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Delta Baggage Weight Penalty

Rick:

Palming a fiver usually works.

Seriously, the airlines have heard your complaint many times. They have a high workmens comp expense for baggage handlers...just looking to minimize those expenses. If they can get you to redistribute, then they are better off.

marc

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 14th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Rick,

The fee for overweight bags is $25 if the bag is over 50 pounds but not over 70 pounds (domestic flights only) and $80 if the bag is over 70 pounds. For complete information, see the baggage section of the Delta Air Lines web site (http://www.delta.com/baggage/travel/...info/index.jsp).

Norm.
Old April 15th, 2003, 01:21 AM
First Mate

YES!! We dismbarked the Grand Princess on Sunday and took the Princess charter bus to the Fort Lauderdale airport. We were flying Delta and there were 6 in our group. They were unreal!! The line was hours long- no kidding - and a woman several people ahead of us was flagged because her bag exceeded 50 lbs. Instead of sucking it up and paying the $25.00 ( I'm sorry, but after waiting in line for well over an hour for the first initial check in I would have just paid the money) she began to empty her luggage out onto the floor - dirty clothing and all - to rearrange things so she wouldn't have to pay the fee. (she ended up paying it anyway because no matter how she rearranged it didn't magically make her other bag lighter!)

When it was our turn one of our friends was told his bag was over 50 pounds - he just paid the $25.00 to avoid further problems and to hurry things up for the hundred or so people behind us in line.

The checking seemed to be random though. I know that one of my bags as well as one of my other friend's bag seemed over the weight, however- we were sent through with no questions.

We also saw people's luggage being opened and hand searched at random - after it was tagged with the proper flight number and sent behind the table to be put on the proper flights. I saw one bag almost emptied and repacked!

The sign read - over 50 lbs $25.00 - $80.00 over 70 lbs. - and they would *not* take a bag weighing over 100 pounds.

There were frantic people all through the lines unpacking and redistributing things to lessen their loads - so to speak. It was amazing.

Deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 15th, 2003, 11:49 AM
Admiral

Deja.....

Why did'nt you use the skycap?

Old April 15th, 2003, 05:31 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Delta Baggage Weight Penalty

Rick,
We did!! We got off the bus and had the Skycap roll our bags to the line- the Skycaps were being directed to place people in certain lines that they were rearranging according to flight times - it was the most amazing (read: frustrating) thing I have ever seen!
As soon as people were off the buses the Skycaps would take one person inside with the bags and place them in a line with the other person they were with hearded to another line to "hold their place". Then another person would come and rearrange the lines by calling out flight times.
As our flight was later in the afternoon, you can only imagine how many times we were pushed to the back of the line!

I know that sounded confusing - but it couldn't have been more confusing than actually going through that process!

Skycaps were rendered useless, as we all had to go through those initial check in lines regardless. The security was tighter in Fort Lauderdale than it had been on our way out of JFK in New York City!!

Deja