Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to Tammylee57
Default PLEASE tell me how to pack soda, beer, wine in checked bagga

I've read a lot of posts, so I'm sure I'll get some negative comments for asking this question. Also sure I will get some help. This forum is great. First of all, let me say upfront that my motive is to save some money...in my opinion cruising is quite expensive when you add the price of shore excursions and the ridiculously high cost of drinks. We are not rich and could afford the cruise but perhaps we can't afford to pay for drinks. My husband and I both drink about 3 Cokes per day, he drinks 2 or 3 beers if we're on vacation per day, and I like a glass of wine or two. I am not going to risk trying to get it on in carry on,,,there are too many different stories of it being consficated etc. I am going on Celebrity and one nice person emailed me and told me he carried it on without problem; however I've read others who did not. We plan on letting cruise line make plenty of profit on buying wine at dinner and buying some specialty tropical drinks...but we do want some to enjoy on our own.

So my queestion is (not whether it is OK or not) of HOW do you safely pack a twelve pack of coke, a twelve pack of beer, and 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage. Is this perfectly OK with airlines? Any suggestions of how to pack it so the wine bottles won"t break. WE will have 4 checked bags so I figure I can divide it all between the 4 bags.

Thanks for any answers

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: PLEASE tell me how to pack soda, beer, wine in checked b

Celebrity allows wine and champagne to be brought on board. You can bring it in your carry-on with no problem.

Liquor and sodas you will have to sneak on in your checked luggage. I wrap bottles in bubble wrap, then in clothing, to prevent breakage. Never brought on soda, so maybe someone else will have tips there.

Flying with all that extra stuff sounds like a hassle. Have you considered finding a store near the port where you can buy wine, liquor, and sodas before embarkation? Unless it is a very unique type of beverage, chances are you can find all the stuff you need very easily in your port city before you sail.

If you give us some more details, i.e. from which port you are sailing, if you are flying in the day before and if so at which hotel you are staying, etc., the readers of this board may be able to help you locate a place to purchase what you need.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Fantasy

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 17th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: PLEASE tell me how to pack soda, beer, wine in check

I agree with Michelle. Best to buy your stuff after the plane trip. I believe you are allowed to bring soda on board with you on any line. Carnival tried to change this policy to exclude soda and water but I'm fairly certain they retracted that implementation because of customer outrage. So don't worry about soda.

If you're taking a 7 day cruise and your husband likes 2-3 beers a day that would mean packing a case for him. That's a lot of weight to put in a suitcase. When the baggage handlers toss that suitcase around the beer is going to get shook up. This can be very risky.

To pack wine or liquor put the bottle in a large zip-lock baggy and then wrapped in the bubble wrap and stored in some clothes. It will be fine. Or you can transfer it to a plastic bottle (water bottle for instance) and worry less.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 17th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Admiral

does Celebrity have a soda card that you can purchase? if so that would solve your soda problem.
Old April 17th, 2003, 03:18 PM
First Mate

I bought some wine in Uruguay during a cruise earlier this year. Had no trouble getting it on board the Marco Polo, but when my luggage was delivered to the hotel in Buenos Aires after debarkation, one of the bottles had broken. This despite the fact that it was packed in a sturdy cardboard carrying case and well-cushioned inside the bag. Fortunately, the hotel was sympathetic and did a first rate job cleaning all the affected clothing. From now on I won't be transporting any bottles except as carry-on, however. Not worth the hassle...

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old April 17th, 2003, 03:50 PM
MichelleM

With all the strict weight restrictions in place with the airlines for checked luggage I wouldn't bring the soda from home. If you are going to bring it on the ship then just wait until you get to the port city and stop at a SuperWalmart to get your beer and soda.
The overweight luggage fee, about $20-30 for bags over 50lbs would be more then buying a soda each day.
I know Carnival offers free lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, apple juice and orange juice all day. Is that an acceptable option for your hubby? We don't drink any of that at home but when on the cruise we drink the lemonade when we would drink soda at home because it is free.
I've also have a bottle of liqour leak on the way home. It was a carry-on in one of the cardboard liqour boxes they give you when you buy it. Well I smelled like Mango Rum for about half the flight home and can't drink the stuff anymore because of the smell.
Old April 17th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Admiral

One persons opinion. It is not worth the hassle, potential mess etc.
Your suitcases are going to get tossed around , piled up, repiled, put in an elevator and thrown onto a cart then dropped in front of your room. You are likely to end up with a suitcase full of red wine and glass mixed with24 exploded beer cans.
Maybe not, but why bother?. Get a soda card for yourself and buy the 3 beers a day.
Old April 18th, 2003, 02:05 AM
First Mate

PapaBill,
I'm with you on this one. If I'm paying that much for a vacation I can afford $3 for a beer. The prices are no different than bar prices up here in Vancouver. 3/day would be $63US and if you were to bring in 1.5 doz that would cost you $20. So to save $40 on an $800 trip doesn't seem worth it, esp if flying and the chance of confiscation or broken bottles or burst cans. The "Pain in the Butt " factor is too high, I'll just cut back on beer prior to the trip.

richard

oh yeah, driving to terminal for next trip so luggage WILL get tossed around :-)
Old April 18th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Mary K

I agree with the above posts - - buy your beer, sodas, and wine while on board. Also, you can save mucho money by doing your own shore excursions
Old April 20th, 2003, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Exactly right..buy the soda card, its well worth it, I always do.

Mary Margaret
Old April 21st, 2003, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to pridevacation

Hello

I thought about buying the soda card, VERY glad that I did not, not really worth it to me, also if you lose it, someone else gets to use it.

As for booze, we did bring in a little, but we also bought drinks on board the ship, and other posts are right, the drinks are about the same, and the auto 15% is cheaper than tipping in a bar.

Also buying the booze in the store on the ship, much cheaper than at home, of course you don't get it till the last night, but STOCK UP.

Darrell
Old May 23rd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Passenger

Be very careful regarding liquor taken on board either in your hand luggage or in your ; larger bags All baggage is now xrayed for securtiy and all most all of the cruise lines will confiscate it. Also they will not allow you to take any on board purchased in any of the ports. just happened to me last month.(first time in six passed cruises.)
Old May 23rd, 2003, 06:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

I suggest getting many mini bottles if you want to bring your own liquor when traveling. I have not been on a cruise yet ( June 8th!! Almost here) but I have traveled before and have heard horror stories about broken bottles of Merlot, etc. in suitcases. Buy the mini bottles of wine, and liquor which are sometimes plastic , sometimes not. Use these for a nice quick drink in the room and then just buy drinks on the ship when you need to.

JAY
Old May 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Past Tense

If you don't carry glass bottles they can't break! Decant any wines or spirits into plastic soda type bottles just before you go; by the time you drink them you won't taste any difference. Cheers!
Old May 25th, 2003, 10:04 PM
Peabodynvl

If the cruiseline allows you to bring it onboard, I see no problem with it. Some cruiselines allow not only wine to be brought onboard, but beer and soda. I wouldn't bring stuff all the way on the plane. Stop at a store and buy it once you are near the port.

Pea
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Tim T

On the Carnival Triumph, there was a soda machine just down the hall from us. The cost was $1.50 per can. Also, I often bought a few sodas in port, and never had any trouble bringing them back on board.

We brought two bottles of wine on in our check-in luggage, and the remainder of a bottle of vodka which we poured into a large water bottle. Had no trouble with it at all. The liquour we bought in port (held for safe keeping when reboarding) or in the duty free on board was actually brought to our cabin on Thursday night which is 2 nights before debarkation.

Our bar bill was still $500.00, so they did not lose any money on us.

Tim
Old June 1st, 2003, 01:57 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to SRobinM

Don't forget the duty free liquor stores in the airports! If you're flying in or out of a major airport, most of them have duty free liquor stores. Because you are leaving the country (technicly on a boat not a plane but like the store clerk needs to know that) You can purchase duty free. So buy it in the airport once you land and stick it in your bag. I am a first time cruiser but I plan to put a small bottle of something or another in my bag just so I can have a private cocktail in my room. I just like to be able to have a drink i make in my room. My boyfriend and I do it even when we're in a hotel visiting my parents for a weekend. It's not b/c we don't want to go pay for drinks in a bar, more just b/c we like to be able to relax and mix our own drinks in our room. But I also don't think there's anything wrong with saving a few bux. You might also consider reinforcing the glass bottles with masking tape. if you put one piece at the bottom, middle and top of the bottle it will help keep it from breaking. It's an old trick my dad used to use when packing my lunches for field trips. (also works great on mirrors and picture frames when moving.) Also about security, as long as the bottle isn't open, you probobly won't have trouble with airport security. I don't know about cruise security.

Just my 2 cents!

Stephanie
Old June 2nd, 2003, 01:12 PM
Winner

Sorry, Stephanie, but you can only purchase goods in an airport duty-free store IF you are ticketed on an international flight. The cashier will ask to see your ticket or boarding pass to verify that you are on an international flight. Otherwise, no matter what a sign states, you are NOT buying anything duty-free. (It's the law).
Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're not drinkers any more for medical reasons, but we need our Diet Pepsi & other diet drinks. We don't try to carry them on the plane, but we've always been able to buy them before we've boarded the ship or in the different ports. When we were drinking we were able to bring the brands of "local" beer that we couldn't buy on the ship on board.

What ever you do don't pack liquire in your checked bags. We had bottel of rum break in the suite case and everything had to be sent to the cleaners or laundry at the strart of the cruise.