Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Default People who don't do their homework

It kind of bugs me when I see posts saying "we're booked on such-and-such ship... can anyone tell us what this ship is like?" It just seems to me like you would want to do some basic research before you book, to ensure you're getting a ship that suits your style. I guess a lot of people just let their TAs decide which ship would best suit them without even asking many questions about the options.

It especially bugs me when people get back from a cruise and say things like "we had no idea it would be an OLD ship!" or "why didn't anyone tell us soda was not included?"

Maybe it's because I'm a cruise enthusiast, but I enjoy reading everything I can about my upcoming ships and cruises before and after I book. If more people did that, there would be less bewilderment before cruising and less disappointment after.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Fantasy

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2003, 12:52 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: People who don't do their homework

amen to that -----and what about the ever popular does the iced tea come with lemon in it --------i know im going to get flamed for this one by someone who is allergic to lemons or oolong tea or the like

Old April 21st, 2003, 01:10 PM
Admiral

I think most people are just excited about their trip that they want someone to tell them the ship is fantastic. The most beautiful ship afloat. Everything about it is great. Etc.

I doubt they'd be soliciting comments such as, "I would never sail on that rust bucket again," "That ship should be sunk for fish habitat" ............or the like.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 22nd, 2003, 06:55 AM
Admiral

I agree Michelle, I do so much homework and comparisons before I even decide to book a cruise much less a land vacation. Some of these posts from the folks are getting somewhat tiresome.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 07:26 AM
RevengeOfTheMoose

Too many people still think "The Love Boat" was a travel documentary, not a fluff TV show with a ship as a major prop.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 08:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

How about the folks that complain about the itinerary? "There were too many sea days. Waaah!" Don't they even look at the brochure?

Jo ~ loves sea days
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:17 AM
Passenger

in the defense of those people, i am going on my first cruise this May and I did so much hw...search a gazillion websites..I think those people like me wants to be reassured or just curious what people have to say about the ship we are going on, especially the people that jsut went recently..
Old April 22nd, 2003, 09:21 AM
Passenger

I posted something asking comments about the Pride....I've checked several other sites...cruise-attics....cruise-critics.....cruise-review....and none of the sites were helpful....
brocheres aren't that great either....
I mean they tell of the ship....but I found no pictures of the pool....or dinning....

I post questions because I like hearing of personal experiences.....or tips....and yes I would like to hear what some one thought of the pool....
without asking questions....I would have never known about the pools being salt water....or needing a bungi cord to hold the door open...
(although we did know basic facts...soda not included...internary....room locations...etc)

I can see how those topics can get old to you upper-cruisers.....but for us young'ns....we need to ask questions....
and those stupid young'ns....ya know....the ones that ask the questions like "why does the ships feel like its moving..." or "what happens if I leave my young child on the balcony when I go to change....well she jump".....those people stupidity amaze me....

Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:24 AM
Passenger

To inexperienced people, i guess it just doesn't occur to them that age groups may vary from ship to ship/line/seasons, weather conditions make a difference, or that different ships have different things to offer. And knowing nothing other than what they see on TV, it's no wonder they don't know what questions they should ask up front.
Before I went on my first cruise and did my research all I knew was I wanted to try a cruise, regardless of when, what ship/line or where.

It seems like common sense now, but the average person wouldn't be able to distinguish certain offerings from each other.
Plus when too good to be true deals come around, it's easy to jump at the opportunity.

I think the assumption is that (and is partly true) that all major cruise lines should have something to offer for most adult age groups and have decent food and sailing conditions in order to satisfy its passengers.

Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

I work in a well known national park that is visited by millions of tourists each year. We get questions from visitors that are so far out we can't believe it's not a joke.

As a yet-to-cruise reader of these boards, I have found answers to questions that I would have NEVER thought to ask. I knew alcohol beverages weren't included but I didn't know soda wasn't either (doesn't matter, I don't drink much of either).

I've done extensive research on various websites, requested brochures, asked a few questions, and finally booked our first cruise though a TA.

But photos are deceiving and I'm sure the 157 sq ft stateroom looks a whole lot smaller standing in it than it does on the virtual tours we get on the website. What looks bright and glamorous in a photo could look tacky and garish in person. So please forgive us "newbies" for asking questions that may seem obvious to a past cruiser. We're honestly not trying to look like idiots.

Suzi
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I don't think the original "gripe" here was about people who ask questions. It was about people who don't.
Though it was saying perhaps it would be wise to ask at least some of the questions before you actually book.

Asking questions and sharing cruise info is what these websites are all about, and no one should feel discouraged from asking.

Though I have to admit posts saying " Tell me about this ship"... are so general that they're hard to help with.

I also find the posts saying... we just returned from MS XYZ, e-mail if you have questions.. just as hard to understand. Would rather folks type at least a couple of paragraphs about their experience.
You don't have to be a travel writer or a "cruise expert" to share valuable info.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:11 AM
Admiral

To cross reference threads, I wish that folks would learn how to spell "dining room" before their first cruise....preferably by the time they graduate high school.

As for asking advice, I agree with Michelle. Do it BEFORE you book!

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Thank you, Kuki. That is what I was trying to say.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Fantasy

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 22nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

I agree that "tell me about this ship" is more apt to leave you speechless rather than bubbling over with information. Let's see....it's big......lots of people......ah.....
Where do you go with that?

Even as a yet-to-cruise newbie, I get a bit ticked with "how do I smuggle a case of beer on to the ship" questions. My husband is a beer drinker and I figure that the more the beer costs, the less he'll drink. A win-win situation. But if not, no big deal. He's working to pay for this trip, too. I don't drink coke at all, rarely drink soda but lemonade, ice tea, coffee, and water..... I'm fine :-) May splurge for one tropical, fruity, umbrella-in-the glass type drink, though.

Thanks to all of you experienced cruisers for all the great information and for taking the time to answer what may seem like silly questions.

Suzi
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:26 PM
KTW35

Default Re: Re: People who don't do their homework

LMFAO ! ! ! ! !
Old April 22nd, 2003, 01:27 PM
Cath

Well I've definitely done my homework... I'm booked for my first ever cruise but I can tell you when it was built, what is the gross tonnage, length, width, what's included, what isn't, price of the reservations only dining room, internet prices, size of rooms, size of the balcony. I even know the name of my ships godmother (Judi Dench for Carnival Legend).

I love being prepared for a trip and the "homework" is part of the fun!! I love to ask question of experienced cruiser because I DO want to hear the bad... I always can find the good on various websites, but the bad stuff is all hush-hush. I'm always worried that my expectations will be too high... I like the saying 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst'.

Also, I agree with what someone said about pictures... Cruise company's have a way with pictures... They could make a shoe box look spacious!!

-cath
Legend Oct 04 2003
Old April 23rd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: People who don't do their homework

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask a question:

If you're a newbie will I email your ship for information on dinning. <grin>

Regards,
Thomas (who couldn't resist, sorry)
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

that's "dining" (always wanted to do that so couldn't resist either :-)

S
Old April 24th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: People who don't do their homework

It was intentional.

Regards,
Thomas
Old April 24th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I know :-)

S
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Tim T

Thomas and Suzi: Isn't the "dinning" room where you go to make a lot of noise?

Tim
Old May 27th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Tim -

I didn't know we needed a special room to be noisy but I would think the "dinning" room would be it. :-)

Suzi
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Admiral

I have to add my one cents worth. (If Robin were here I could say two cents worth) {{BFG}}. Before I took my cruise I wanted to know everything I could. I won't however, ask every question I think of because somewhere it will already have been asked, you just have to look for it. When I found this site I knew this was where I would find them (questions asked). I think that if all of the first time cruisers would just go back into the archives of each board that they may, indeed find the answers to those questions which they want to ask. Of course they may just be excited and want to know this answer without doing a little research . Wait a minute, didn't PapaBill gripe something about this, ie, a board for every question? {{duh}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)