Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Beginner

Default Royal Rudeness

My wife recently went on a 4 day cruise on Royal Carribbean to the Bahamas with her
sister, brother and two nephews (ages 10 and 13). She inadvertantly left her engagement and wedding ring in the room before going on an excursion. On returning,
they were gone. After contacting security, she was subjected to in her face accusations
that it was her fault - reducing her to tears. He also assured her that the cleaning staff would never steal. (but that he would question them). On seeing the cabin boy the next day and questioning him about it , my wife realized that he had never been questioned by the security staff.
The head of security was incredibly insensitive, never assuring my wife that he would do everything he could to find the rings. She was told that the incident would be treated like any other lost and found item - like a pair of sun glasses.
Beware..... Don't expect any help from Royal Carribbean.
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2003, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Royal Rudeness

Rick,
I'm so sorry about this! How horrid for your wife. I know if that were me and my wedding and engagement rings turned up missing (stolen) like that - I would be absolutely heartbroken and beside myself. There are just some things that have serious sentimental meaning - and to lose them like that... it's just awful.

The treatment you recieved was beyond insensitive. I hope they were insured and that your homeowner"s policy can at least give you some monetary compensation.

I will never again leave my rings out in the open. I have a bad habit of leaving them on the bathroom counter, even on a ship. Thank you for sharing this incident.

Take Care.

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old April 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Admiral

That's a horrible thing to happen but my question is why didn't she at least put them in the safe? Sometimes I take off my jewelry but I would put them in the safe or away out of sight. I am certainly not indicating it is her fault at all so please don't think that. I just can't believe they treated her and the situation that way. I hope you are able to get some compensation.
Old April 28th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Admiral

that is just awful. You were treated horribly and RCCL needs to know this. I would write them a letter, tell your TA what happened also.
Old April 28th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Yeoman

DITTOs to the letter!! Sorry that this happened. I'll surely be MORE careful about valuables in the future.
Thanks for posting.
Old April 29th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your wife. RCI staff should have been much more sympathetic. I agree that you should write them a letter. Hope the rings get found eventually.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Carnival Imagination

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old April 29th, 2003, 03:33 PM
cam

Rick,

We had the same thing happen two years ago on Explorer. My wife took her ring's off. I thought she put them in the safe and she thought I put them in the safe. We were treated like we were tring to get something over on them. Writing letters will only make you feel better. It doesn't help since they say you and not them are responsible.

Hope things work ou though.
Old May 8th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Yeoman

This just affirms what "Sooshie" and I have been discussing re; "RCI."

Whether it is due to the whiners clogging up the system or not so that they can deal with legitimate complaints? And having something stolen is certainly a legitimate complaint. BUT we still cruise with them because as I have seen on these boards, "RCI" is not alone in providing poor customer service and follow-up.

NO answers here, just hoping for improvement, Robbie
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

How big are the in room safes anyway? Glad to hear they have one.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Safes on the Costa Atlantica were big enough to hold, passport/ticket holder, camera, camcorder (med size) and a couple of other things. I'd estimate it's (safe) size at 8"x8"x10".

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:03 PM
HannaS77

The problem here is that under maritime law, personal property inside a stateroom of a cruise ship are responsibility of the passenger and not the cruise line unless the loss can be proven to be due to negligence on the part of the cruise line. I am not offering legal advice since I am not a lawyer but I am an "old" retired insurance executive with experiences like this from people we insured and their claims..

If you have personal property including jewelry insurance away from your residence, check the policy to see if it covers mysterious disappearance. What you have here is a typical mysterious disappearance loss. There are homeowner policies that cover such incidents, including theft off premises. My H.O. policy offers me and my wife $2,500 jewelry coverage subject to a $250 deductible.

The travel insurance policies sold to cruise ships tmay offer coverage for jewelry; usually provide for only a limited amount such as $500 or $600.

A word of wisdom. If you have a personal article or jewelry floater policy, be sure to read it as it may have a "Hotel Motel safe" require for expensive jewelry. This means when you are not wearing the jewelry it has to be kept in a safe. If not, "no payee."
Dorothy Hammil the Olympic ice skater hid over $300,000 jewelry in a suitcase under her bed in a San Francisco hotel room. The jewelry was stolen; the insurer refused to pay since her policy required the jewelry be kept in a hotel safe when not worn. She sued the insurer but lost her case. Res ipsa loquitor