Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Bradley Bingo

Default Celebrity's pricy patriotism

Is anyone else aware just how Celebrity's prices vary for the same cabin booked at the same time on the same sailing but booked from different countries?

If you go into to Celebrity's website (www.celebritycruises.com) and tell it you are from Iran or Iraq it will quote you a price thousands of dollars less than if you are from the US. Obviously celebrity rightly vary prices according to demand, but why should people in many parts of the world be able to buy the same product cheaper than Americans?? For the same category 3 cabin on the same cruise on Millennium prices varied from $6,500 (North Korea) to $14,500 (England)

My tip is to book not book with celebrity until they sort their act out - or if you are in Europe book through their French agent Latitude Sud - its thousands of dollars cheaper and European Union law says they have to make the same offers available to all EU citizens.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Celebrity's pricy patriotism

And at the same time, Celebrity registers some, if not all, of their ships in Liberia, which is a money-laundering clearing house for Al Qaeda funds!!
Old May 14th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Are you taking into account the exchange rate of the foreign countries? The high price of a dollar brings their 'opportunity cost' more in line with our reality. In the Dominican Republic, we met some German tourists who booked the same package for $500 US dollars that we paid $1,000 for. Since their exchange rate was so high, it really was relative in terms of layout, maybe even hurt them a little more due to global economy. If you want another example of the economics of exchange rates, look up the cost for a round trip ticket from NY to Egypt, then look at how cheap a 4-star hotel is in Cairo! Hopefully the Eurodollar, if it ever stabilizes, will even things out someday.
Cheers,
MaryC
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM
First Mate

I don't see what exchange rates have to do with it. A dollar earned in the US has the same value as a dollar converted from deutchmarks. If you mean the cost of living is higher in Germany, I can agree with that. In a free world market, however, prices should not fluctuate according to the place of purchase.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old May 15th, 2003, 04:24 AM
Bradley Bingo

Default Re: Re: Celebrity's pricy patriotism

Yes I am - nearly the all the prices are quoted are US dollars anyway. NB: The prices I quoted are for three people in a FV cabin on a 12 day sailing.
Old May 16th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Captain

Default Re: Re: Celebrity's pricy patriotism

You are correct. If the prices are quoted in $US, the only place where exchange rate changes would come into play is when the foriegn guest converts his local currency to $US. A $US from a foriegner is worth exactly the same as a $US from a US citizen to the cruise line.

Thanks,
Richard
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity's pricy patriotism

Yes, but to get that US$ a foreigner must convert his own currency. This is where the relativity factor comes in. If the cruiseline does not price-adapt to different markets they would be unable to attract a significant portion of the global market. If an American books a 'hypothetical' cruise around Africa, it probably would cost the American a lot less than the 'locals' to take that cruise. It's the reverse - get it?
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:42 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Celebrity's pricy patriotism

It may be good from the cruise line's point of view to cultivate foreign markets by lowering fares for specific countries. There may also be hidden tariffs involved which help equalize the actual cost. But if you're trying to say that your German counterpart is entitled to a lower fare because of the exchange rate, I say phooey. Think about it this way - should gas stations in a low rent district charge less for their product because the people who live there can't afford to pay as much? If they do charge less, where do you think the people from the high rent districts go to fill their tanks? It doesn't make sense for a "US premium" to be added to our fares just to help out those with 'poor exchange rates'.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

ALL the cruise lines often run "regional specials" even within the United States. There will always be someone paying less than you, or sometimes more accurately, saying they are.

On particular sailings that aren't selling well you can often see great deals for people residing in the port cities. So does that mean they Celebrity is anti Montana, when Florida or Puerto Rico residents are paying less? Sometimes these regional specials are targeted towards certain states just because the cruise lines want to focus an area for promotion to build up their business in that area.

The cruise lines yield management programs are sometimes goofy. Heck we've been on a cruise where balcony cabins are being sold for less than inside cabins.

Cruise pricing is a very complicated maze. No doubt about that. But to think there's some evil plan behind it doesn't wash.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not a teacher, but I have spent several years in a classroom. Let me try to explain my point without confusing the issue further (bear with me, it's a Monday).

Let's pretend you live in Beertopia. You want to take a cruise out of Florida. Your price (as a Beertopian) is 1000 bottlecaps. It just so happens that, at the current exchange rate, 1000 bottlecaps can be converted into $500 US dollars. So today, the cruise costs you 1000 bottlecaps, or the equivalent of $500 dollars.

Now, the global economy is a very volatile thing. Suppose someone accidently leaves the plug out of the Iraqi oil well, and it all drains away. This would severely impact the US economy, but have little effect on Beertopia, which relies on barley, hops, and yeast to power their engines. The US dollar would weaken, and suddenly 1000 bottlecaps would get you $600 US dollars. In another scenario, the entire Beertopian barley crop is tragically ravaged by the ruthless vinobug. This has a drastic negative impact on your economy. Sadly, 1000 bottlecaps will get you only $400 US dollars. But this matters little to your travel agent, who merely needs to turn over 1000 bottlecaps to the cruise line to pay your fare. So, how much did you pay for your cruise - $500, $600, or $400? Neither! You paid 1000 bottlecaps! That is what I meant by considering the exchange rate. Perhaps it has no relevancy to the prices the US charges other countries, but I thought I'd throw my two cents (or bottlecaps) in anyway.

Class dismissed!
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Haven't you ever heard of "Ladies night!" or "Senior Citizen Discounts" or "Children's fare?"

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 15th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Jim Munkittrick

It matters not what anyone else pays!

Get off it!

If you agree to a price and you are wiling to pay that price, quit complaining is someone, anyone, from anywhere gets a better price!

It is called the free market!

Get a life, spend you time worrying about better things.