Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2003, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Default It's still a ship.

No matter how big they are, no matter how many stabilizers they have, they're ships. They move with the ocean, albeit less than they used to.

This isn't a gripe, more like a question. I don't understand. If you are prone to movement sickness, specifically sea-sickness, why would you cruise? If you know you are, why wouldn't you take medication to prevent it? We've all heard of puking ships from hell. If you know you are and don't like taking medication, again, why would you cruise? Land-based vacations can be wonderful without the motion. I think part of the actual addiction for cruisers is that lovely sway.

It's a ship, no matter how big. Sway sway, lovely ocean motion, peaceful to me. Vomit-inducing to others. What is the best place for someone who gets sea-sick and hates medication?

The pier.

Denise
Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: It's still a ship.

HOME!!!...BG
21 days till Alaska (rocking and all)
SSaFWs..ED
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM
First Mate

Some claim to be so sensitive, I wonder how they got to the pier.

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Amazing isn't it?? I know some people who get themselves so worked up at the possibilty that they might get seasick that they won't even give a cruise a try- even with medication or they don't enjoy their cruise because they are so worried that they might get sick. Then there are the ones who take their medication, whatever it might be, relax and totally enjoy the cruise and silently snicker at the whiners and complainers about the motion. Like Denise said its a ship, on the open waters, its supposed to move. I too love that gentle sway and motion- sleep very well.
Old May 17th, 2003, 04:53 PM
First Mate

I call it being rocked to sleep in nature's cradle. I enjoy the movement- it's so relaxing.
It's a big part of why I love to cruise!

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:42 PM
glalonzo

I agree Deja..........puts me right to sleep......
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Deja, I too agree with that analogy. It's akin to napping in my hammock out back and dreaming about being on a cruise. :-)

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old May 18th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Admiral

The ocean is the true womb of life. Someone, in something I read a long time ago, pointed out that the proportion of salt in human blood is exactly the same as in the ocean. When we listen for the ocean in a shell, we hear echos of our mothers' circulation. Ships are like manmade placentae. Maybe that's why they call the bunks berths.

Steve

I may dwell on the land, but I live at sea!

Steve

Sensation 2/03 I disembarked, but never really left the ship.
Enchantment 9/03
Inspiration 3/04
Sensation 04/05 The vessel made me do it!
Summit 03/06 to Hawaii, Where God left his fingerprints, in memory of Margaret.
Sensation 03/07
Carnival Freedom (March 08)
\X\Mercury (January 09)
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

My problem is that I am afraid I won't feel any motion on Adventure of the Seas because her massive size. Can I be guaranteed at least some motion from this great floating beast? <G>
Old May 18th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Jay:

Don't worry; a little too much rum and the ship will still rock.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 18th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Admiral

Just recently read a review somewhere wherein the person said they were a first time cruiser then went on to talk about how rough the ship rode. With nothing to compare it to, wonder what they called rough?

Believe it or not, we once saw a lady who was crying at lifeboat drill and we were still tied to the dock. Said she was afraid we would sink.
Old May 18th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Gaborn65

I am a cruiser that can get very bad sea sickness. I go to my doctor, get my medicine and pop it in my mouth. I don't *****, puke or whine. I know how sick I can get and take precations to insure I enjoy myself, and enjoy myself I do. For those that do not take medicine and know they will get seasick. SHUT UP
Old May 19th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

Gaborn65

Re-read your post...sounds like you are angry and b-i-t-c-h-i-n-g. Settle yourself down before you post on these boards.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Yeoman

Jay12..Amen your last.. About the motion. How about forming a passle o' folks and run back and forth from port to starboard????who knows??
19 days till Alaska..rockin or not!!!
SSaFWs..ED
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We cruised the Eastern Caribbean over Spring Break. It was my first cruise and truth be told, I was a little concerned about seasickness. Then I heard about natures little secret - ginger. I bought some ginger capsules at Wal-mart. Popped one in the morning and had a marvelous time, despite some choppier waters - enough to turn the pool into a giant wave pool. Plus, ginger doesn't make you drowsy - so you are alert and awake to enjoy the experience. I had to laugh though...one of the at sea days, I was walking thru the lobby (we were on the Celebrity Horizon) and since it was spring break, there were a lot of younger students on board. One was complaining to the gal at the desk that it felt like the ship was rocking - she told him he was quite right...it was rocking, but that he should be getting used to it soon. His next question floored me..."Can you tell them to make it stop?". Methinks this was that gents last cruise.