Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Sooshie

Default online pricing

What is it with all the travel sites that are no longer offering online pricing? I usually frequent two sites in particular and up until about 3 weeks ago you could get immediate pricing. Why do they feel the need to have an agent contact me when the site used to do all that for them? They took all the fun out of searching for cruises!
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: online pricing

just guessing here, but i would say its about commissions. If you use a travel agent - on line or in-person and they book your cruise, they get a commission.
Old May 19th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Admiral

I noticed that too, Sooshie. One of my favorite pasttimes is looking up cruise itineraries and pricing, even if I know I'm not going to be cruising soon! And especially if I know I'm not going to be cruising soon, I don't want to talk to an agent and get their hopes up. So it bugs me there aren't as many places online where one can get instant pricing.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 19th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Terry L

I don't believe it has anything to do with commission. I believe the problem is due to the company that provided the "cruise booking engine" filed for Chapter 7.

Terry
Old May 19th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Sooshie

Default Re: Re: online pricing

Either way they would get their commissions so I don't see why this would be relevant
Old May 20th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Admiral

A ha. I did notice that the ubiquitous cruise search engine has changed or disappeared on those sites that used it for online pricing. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old May 21st, 2003, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Yes, they do, but they don't use the particular pricing engine we were talking about. Many smaller independent agents with lower prices than Travelocity and Expedia (and therefore closer to what you'd actually pay) have stopped giving instant online pricing, instead requiring you to call or contact the agent directly.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old May 21st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Bestpricecruises still offers online pricing; however, if you are looking for a specific cruise, it can be more difficult to find - and sometimes cruises aren't listed at all!

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old June 2nd, 2003, 07:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try going directly to the cruise line web sites. It's a good place to get a bench mark for comparing prices between the cruise lines and what the discount places offer.
Old June 6th, 2003, 12:23 PM
glalonzo

Hello...

I must say I am a little baffled. On all these post sites all I read about is how much cheaper it is to book on this website and that website. I am presently booked on a cruise to Bermuda, Celebrity Zenith and the price I got from my travel agent is MUCH lower than any of these website prices.
Old June 9th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Admiral

For someone to say "So and so web site has the best prices all the time" is simply not true. For someone to say a traditional Travel Agent is a better choice all the time is simply not true either. Many online agencies are traditional Travel Agents with an office in a shopping center someplace who have a web site as another source of customers.

I also like to shop around for pricing on the internet and when I find a cruise I like I contact my TA and ask if he can book it for the same or less. Most times he can, but this next cruise he couldn't so we booked with the online agency. I don't like not being able to see the prices on the web site anymore either.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 9th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Admiral

In addition to what Thomas said, you cannot post on the message boards that such and such and agency is so good, always the best, etc. etc. as that is advertising. Yes there are three or four online websites that are in fact TA's that can provide you a searchable database for cruises and give you priceing, I will not recommend any of them over the other as you must choose for yourself. In additon other agencies without that feature may have a better deal when you figure in everything such as service, price, etc. etc. These site are very useful to get an idea of the going rate for any particuliar cruise and this is what I use them for. I may even book with one of them if it seems right. Do your homework and research and talk to more than one agency and when you are happy with what they offer, go ahead and take it and don't worry about what coulda, shoulda, woulda been had you gone somewhere else befcause of what someone else said they paid. Save that information for next time and include them in your search.
Jim

Old June 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to Auguste

Just lost what I thaught was a good deal, because the online agency (that send me specials every week ) will not deal with me trough E-mail. They insisted I call them, which I can not do. By the time I found somebodyto call the Hawaii cruise was sold out.
Second time that happened to me. It is hard enough to find a decent single cabin price.
without all this extra hassle Auguste
Old June 15th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Yeoman

I like to price search even if I don't plan a cruise(it's addictive and I just want to see if I'm getting the best price).

But when I get serious and am ready to book, I look at the cruise line's catalog price (which is the highest, even the early booking price is} , then I check out a few websites, mytravel. cruise411.com, etc., then I call my travel agent.

Guess what..... my travel agent always has the lowest price. I'm sticking with my travel agent. They do get the best prices. Find someone locally who is certified for selling cruises and I think you will do the best.
Old June 24th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Sooshie

Just saw that one of the websites is back to having online pricing again. I cannot mention the name to protect the innocent (or the cruisemates police will take my post out...lol...just kidding guys). If you email me I will give you the name of the site. hint hint I want a cruise..he he.
Old June 24th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Admiral

HA HA
I know what you mean!
I booked my very 1st cruise with them. They couldn't beat this one I just booked online though. They are locally here in Jacksonville FL too so I can go down there but their prices weren't that hot.