Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:18 PM
Passenger

Default Large Groups on Board

Hello All,

I've wandered over here from the CC board because you might just be the folks to offer advice and share your experiences.

This isn't a gripe -- yet -- just a few questions. I just found out that "most of the cabins" on my June Alaska honeymoon cruise have been booked by The Pampered Chef. I assume this means sales reps and their families.

Questions:

1) Will Celebrity limit the number of kids on board? We're in our early 40's and on our honeymoon, so I had hoped to avoid the kids by booking Celebrity even though it's summer vacation time. Of course I knew there would be kids on board, but I was hoping there wouldn't be hoardes.

2) When a ship's manifest is made up of mostly one group, does the entire cruise then cater to them? Will they have priority sign ups for services and classes? Will some events normally offered be cancelled in order to provide the group the theater areas for their own use?

Please, please share your experiences -- I'd love to hear them all.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2003, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Large Groups on Board

Aceeare,
Many ships limit the number of children onboard so that they have enough staff to care for them all at a set ratio. This is for insurance purposes if I am not mistaken. Alaska is not a huge kids cruise so while there will be a number it certainly will not be the numbers you will see in the Caribbean.
As for having large groups...they do not receive priority over any other passengers nor will they cancel any of the normal activities for others so that this group can take over. What you probably will see are some private parties held in some of the lounges during off times that are by invitation only. This will not affect you in any way. In addition the CD and his staff will most likely mention the group or acknowledge them but they will not leave out the other passengers.
Jim

PS Welcome and we are glad to have you here at the most friendly cruise website around <G>

Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Thanks Jim,

I've enjoyed lurking in here, and found you all to be very entertaining. I was hoping for just the answers you gave.

I realize that they are probably going to be a bunch of folks who don't know each other -- just like the rest of us on board -- but I travel for a living and I've been in hotels where large conventions have been raging more than once. The thought of possibly reliving that while on a ship was making me itch. Or twitch. Or something like that.

I'd still love to hear some good stories though.

Amy
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Hi Amy,

Welcome to Cruisemates.

Here are some past posts you may enjoy about group cruise nightmares. Happy reading:

Cruises with large numbers of particular groups

Pax selling on cruise

Cruise Nightmare???

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ac,
I don't think you will see any problems with this group. I've also cruised with big groups and they have their "own" things, meetings, etc. that they have to attend and get no special treatment. As for a lot of kids, most Alaska cruises don't have that many anyway, so don't worry about that. You days will most likely be spent eating up the beauty and doing excursions and shopping in the various towns.

Wishing you a great wedding and honeymoon cruise, be sure to take lots of film!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Well I'll be the dissending voice in the bunch. Depending on how large the group is, there are a number of ways the group could impact your cruise.

For instance, if they're large enough they may take an entire seating time at dinner. They may close certain lounges for private use, if they're holding any seminars. I know of one large group music cruise, where they brought their own entertainment with them, and people outside the group were not allowed in the lounges they were using.

Bottom line, if the group is large enough it could have some impact on your cruise experience, but if you're on your honeymoon, just don't let them in your cabin .

If it's a Pampered Chef group probably the biggest annoyance will be them banging their pots and pans together <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 23rd, 2003, 08:48 AM
Passenger

Alert!! Our group will be on the Carnival Glory 1-30/04-2/7/04 - We are a group of 1500 or so and most like to party quite a bit. We are mostly 30-50 and without our children. So beware if you don't like groups this is not the cruise for you. If you really enjoy a great time please book with us.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 09:15 AM
frank

A very large group will greatly influence your cruise experience.

We sailed with a large group on board. Kuki is right, They took over one of the PC dining rooms making long waits in the other one.

They also all appeared at the lunch buffets at the same time when they broke from meetings etc.

I would definitely not cruise this way again, We felt like we were intruding on their cruise and everything revolved around this group.
Now when I cruise I always ask about large groups on board.
Old May 23rd, 2003, 11:11 AM
Admiral

I also agree with Kuki. Noticeable with meetings in common rooms. Lost our card room and library at times. I, personally, would not sail with large groups again.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Silversea Silver Explorer (23nts) - Kangerlussuaq, Greenland - Nome, Alaska - Aug 14

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old May 23rd, 2003, 04:34 PM
Jamiegunter

We sailed on a Cruise in Feb were there was a large group. The only thing that bothered us was that we were given a diffrent dinner time because the group all wanted early seating so they could go to their functions. They ended up fixing our dinner time, but only because I told them that my husband has a health condition for eating at a certain time. I let them know that it is not fair to accomodate only the large group, especially when we had booked our cruise very far in advance! Good Luck
Old May 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Large Groups on Board

Hello All,

I called Celebrity to ask if there was a large group booked and how many there might be. I was put on hold for a bit and then told that with the large number of cabins on board they couldn't pinpoint group numbers and couldn't track that information. This is nonsense, of course, but whatayagonnado. The rep told me she'd have someone call me back, but I didn't expect that to happen, and it didn't.

I'm just going to work around it. I'm hoping to somehow pick up their group scheudles in order to plan my buffet eating and cocktail drinking. We have a balcony, so that will be our private deck. Maybe if we embark early we can sign up for all the stuff we want and then relax.

Question: If the Infinity pulls out at 5:45, how early can we really get to the port and start our processing? The brochure indicated three hours prior, but I'm feeling sort of noonish?

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Amy
Old May 25th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Jamiegunter

We have sailed on Carnival and Disney, both got on around 12 or 1. Disney, room wasnt ready yet. Carnival, room was ready both times. At least you can eat some lunch if room isnt ready!
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:43 AM
frank

See Barbara's May 18th review of the Adventure of the Seas

There was a large group of 1500 on this sailing, Her comments are right at the bottom of the review.
Old June 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Kuki is right! Large groups can affect your cruise. Mrs. Thomas, her sister, and another female friend were on a cruise once where they had to stay in the room all the time because they couldn't walk around the ship without being hassled by members of this large group who were on the ship.

Regards,
Thomas
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Passenger

Hello All,

Well, we're back, and I can say my fears were unfounded. The group was on board for a reward trip, not a working trip, so they didn't take over any of the public areas at all. The Pampered Chef reps and their spouses were delightful, and their presence probably lowered the average age on board considerably making a nice mix from honeymooners to retirees.

There may have been more children than usual for Alaska (a travel agent I met said their were around 200) but Celebrity did a terrific job herding them around. I was amazed at how well behaved the kids were, and they looked darling all dressed up for formal dinner. The only bad kid experience we had was a young mom hitting the back of my chair with her huge stroller every night on her way to her table. The toddler screamed all through dinner and after every scream was an even louder "Shhh" coming from mom. We laughed about it the first two nights, but after that it became annoying.

Amy