Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Viv

Default Re: Resort casual dress is disappearing.

I enjoyed wearing formal, resort casual, and casual attire on our last cruise. Managed to pack it all in a large check on bag for flight. Also took a smaller bag to bring items home in. Good planning and mix and match clothes helps a lot. The variety is part of the fun for me.
Old October 17th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Kar06

Yeah, I have tons of clothes to mix and match. It works out well because you have a variety of outfits, but cut down on the amount you pack. =)
Old October 17th, 2003, 11:50 AM
ready to go

Why on earth do people care what other people are wearing??? why are you even looking and judging what others are wearing??? I would much rather be sitting next to a nice person in shorts than a jerk in a suit. The point is that it doesn't matter one iota what someone is wearing. What matters is that theya re decent and polite. Unless they are dirty or smell bad, I could care less what someone else is wearing. Stop judging others by their clothes. No wonder kids nowadays always want the "in thing" when it comes to clothes. Peer pressure is alive and well in adults!
Old October 17th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Resort casual dress is disappearing.

Amen, brother or sister!!!!!!!! Let all of us , regardless of raiment, sit down together and sup.
Old October 17th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Starfighter

I'm just going to wear whatever the cruiseline I'm on prefers me to wear. It just not worth the time and effort for me to be arbitrary for no apparent reason other than pigheadedness.
Old October 17th, 2003, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Why do people care what other people are wearing? I don't know. Why do people care about how other people behave in general? I guess because we are social creatures who usually try to meet cultural expectations and fit in. I know that the way people dress isn't the most important thing about them, but oftentimes it's the only information about their values that we have to work with. I like to dress up when the situation calls for it and dress casually when that's appropriate. People are part of the ambiance of any restaurant. I like to dine with those who care about themselves and their fellow passengers.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:41 AM
p.g.

Just read all these posts, way too much emotion here( anger, kindness, rudeness, stuborness and SELF RIGHTOUSNESS) . It's clothes not politics, religion, or sex!!
Be clean.
Smile.
Arrive on time.
Close your mouth when you chew.
Have fun !
Old October 19th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Admiral

What others wear or don't wear does not inspire anger, fear, envy etc in me. I just smile and eat my two entrees and three desserts.
Old October 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
nita26

I think that it is ridiculous to spend valuable time worrying about what others may or may not have on at dinner. Unless they are naked, funky, or just flat out filthy, I don't care if they have on a double breasted suit or a nice clean t-shirt and shorts. All that matters to me is that everyone is comfortable, clean, and enjoying themselves.

I went on a cruise this past August on RCCL's Majesty O.S. There were 19 of us that went, all family. We dressed the way we were "expected" to dress for the first two nights, then decided that we were sick of being uncomfortable and stuffy, so we dressed down from then on. No one complained. Even the people that were at tables around us were beginning to dress down from their dressier attire. To "lil-kydarlin": In response to your posting, regardless of what we had on, our behavior continued to be appropriate, and was not altered by the way we dressed. Your behavior should be based on your morales, environment, and values, NOT on clothes. To each his own. As long as you are covered with clothing, it doesn't matter to me My food and company counts more!

Happy Cruising everyone!
Old October 19th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Captain

Last February, a number of us on the Radisson Paul Gauguin were discusssing how much more we are concerned about shipboard dinner dress when we are here, on our computers, than when we are actually on a cruise! You know, it's true!

Thanks,
Richard
Old October 20th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Admiral

Because of limitations on luggage space in the car, we reduced the amount of clothing we took along. I wore the same long pants every night. And rather than go full formal, I simply wore a decent shirt, tie and coat with those same pants on formal night. I was dressed better than 3/4 of the guys at that dinner. I even received a few compliments. Immediately after dinner each night, I changed back into my normal tasteless, tropical tourist outfit of shorts, Hawaiian shirt, and hat.

Will I go that simple again on the next cruise? I haven't yet made up my mind. I would prefer to do the full formal. With plenty of time to pack, there's still time to decide if I will.

Steve

Until Inspiration
Sensation 2/03
Enchantment 9/03
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:43 AM
gogetter

Hello,

I have been saying this all along......

Look at the cruise itself....Fantasy...basically a quick 3-4 day getaway. I know many people may argue that they plan a big exciting vacation around this ship and/ or itinerary, but still...it's a casual weekend getaway.
Traditionalists that want ambiance and dressing up for dinners.....there are other cruise lines and even Carnival offers longer cruises with more formal attire evenings.

I see nothing wrong with it at all. I have always said this is the way some of these cruises are going especially the Fantasy .....
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Kari

Sounds about right to me!!!! I sail in December on Carnival's Imagination and do not plan on attending formal night because that's really not our deal but I think the outfit you described sounds just fine. My husband is planning on wearing black jeans and a polo shirt every night on the non-formal nights and I will be in a set of capri outfits or cotton dresses and if people have a problem with that because it isn't suit pants and white shirt that is their problem. I think everyone should dress how they are comfortable as long as it is appropriate and clean.
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Gary Karschnick

Let me quote directly from the Fantasy's Carnival Capers for the 3-day cruise. On the 2nd night, "Formal attire is required this evening". It doesn't say suggested, or wear blue jeans if you want, etc.
Old November 13th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Paul Beighley

How about a tux made of denim?
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Admiral

For me, I want the cruise to fall into the "special" category. I'm a stay at home Mom and wear shorts and jeans all the time. "Special" will be the formal dining night. I suppose I don't *really* care what the folks at my table wear, as long as they engage in a good, lively conversation, but it would be nice if they felt the same as I did (of course....). I plan on wearing some nice little dress for ALL the dinners. My son has made me promise we can eat on the Lido at least 2 nights. I said one....he's still working on me....

That being said, I won't be getting my 13 year old into a Tux, that's for sure. He will be in gray dress slacks, button down collar shirt with tie and light wool blazer. That suffices for a "suit" for him. My dh has been lobbying to buy him a good suit, but the darned kid gew 1 1/2 inches in one month ALONE. $300 for one wear doesn't work for me.

I've noticed that as a society "anything goes" seems to be the rule (or lack threreof) of the day. While I don't look down my nose at folks that don't ever seem to recognize special ocassions and dress for them, it saddens me a little. Seems as though it makes life a little blander if you always dress the same.

The bottom line is that not everybody likes to dress up and I *miss* the days when we all did!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old November 16th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Sue Sue

When an invitation states formal or informal or casual, then etiquette should be followed. In the terms of Etiquette the word "Request" is actually a quideline. This is the same protocol we all need to follow for weddings, banquets, parties and yes Cruise ships. If folks don't want to follow the guideline for the dining room then go to the Lido deck. We all have the same option. I just don't understand why people have such difficulty with this issue. If it is " your vacation" and you don't want to dress for the dining room, FINE, don't go. But I for one and many others don't want to dress for dinner, then have to sit across from someone just off the sun deck or beach who are "On Their Vacation" with the Mrs.'s all togethers hanging out of her tube top and Mr.'s hairy armpits blessing my table. My opinion is by no means a personal attack on how pleasant a person is. Please be sure, I know many , many people from ALL walks of life. Some with more means than I can ever imagine and some with hardly any means at all, and there is no reason why the dress request could not be honored by any of them. What man who has purchansed a fare for a cruise does not have the resources to take along a shirt, tie and a pair of dress slacks. A women with the same ticket could certainly acquire a dress or slacks and blouse. As for children, they could be dressed in pants and dress shirt or a dress for girls. Does this attire have to be top of the line? By all means no, but presentable and clean should be honored. So if you don't want to follow suggested attire, then make alternate decisions. Go to the Lido deck, order room service or frequent 24 hour pizza.
Old November 16th, 2003, 06:36 PM
sls

Just got back from the Carnival Conquest. No one wore shorts to the dining room but there were t-shirts and jeans. Even on formal nite

sls
Old November 16th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Sue Sue, I have never seen anyone dressed in the way you describe in the dining room on formal nights. Of course, I don't make a habit of looking to see the clothes that other people are wearing. I follow the dress code, but it doesn't bother me if others do not.

By the way, I still am not clear about resort casual or smart casuat dress for men. Some say a jacket and others indicate a collared shirt and dress slacks. I opt for the latter, since to me a jacket or coat is uncomfortable.

Live and let live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 20th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Sue Sue

Paul, My description of Mr and Ms "Let it all hang out" is merely my "run amok" (sp?) understanding of what the attitude of people who say "..it's my vacation I'll do and wear whatever I want." I have over the years seen some unusual getups for formal and casual nights in the dining room. T-shirts, shorts, the "Just off the beach look". Although, one women who let it all hang out was in a formal gown, so that shoots my theory doesn't it? I am also in a "Cruise Gripes" sort of way voicing my confusion as to why so many people have questions as to what formal attire is. But, the topic at hand is the smart/resort casual thing. From what I have observed it ranges from Trousers, shoes, casual shirt with or without jacket for men. My man packs one casual pair of trousers and his assortment of casual collar and no collar shirts. (No casual jacket-takes up too much room; He does pack his Tux for formal nights, ) Ladies of course can go either with dress or slack outfits for casual nights. I pack one pair of black slacks and dress them up a few different blouses and jewelry. Of course cocktail dress or gowns for formal nights. And you know, your right, basically, Live and let live. I need to get a better grip on this. Here I am blabbing away on a Cruise Gripes board about what to wear, when there are folks in the world that don't have shoes on their feet. So with that must humbling thought, I close here.
Old January 28th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Christine2010

I'm not sure why all of you here are traveling, vacationing, cruising, But as for myself and our tripmates, we need a vacation. We want to relax and enjoy our trip and hope all those aboard will do the same. I of course would expect clean and neat as a minimum, but lets be honest, this is reality, and we are diverse. Not everyone enjoys , nor needs to "dress up" in order to be seen as anything more OR less than anyone else on board. These are cruises for the general population, and in all honesty it is about time the cruise lines accomodate those they serve. There are certainly other cruise lines that will be more than happy to ensure you with your petty and superficial needs, although I truly believe you will still find fault.
Old January 28th, 2004, 12:47 PM
McCall

You know all you who are having to much fun to care what people are wearing, There are people who find their fun on a cruise comes from things like attending something billed as a formal occasion, or an upscale occassion, I.e. resort casual, and being in the company of like minded people who are attending such occasion.
My FUN does not come in lying around a pool, or in drinking at all, nor in gambling, nor disco dancing the night away.
I have no problem with people who enjoy those things and take advantage of them as offered on board.
I don't go to the pool and complain that people are not dressed up for the occassion, nor insist that only Ballroom dancing should go on in the disco. There by denying those who enjoy those activities the ability to enjoy them properly.
So why when you have signed a contract to abide by the cruise ships rules and guidelines so that all passengers may get the amenities they have individually selected as important to them and paid their fare accordingly, expecting a certain experience. Do you then feel it is ok to ignore the guidelines and put down everyone who is offended by you cheapening an experience that is FUN for them, because you think they should have FUN your way?

I am sick to death of people who think other passengers who simply want an experience the cruise line promises and they pay for, are Snobs because of it.
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Familiar Face

Christine, naturally you and your friends are entitled to a relaxing vacation, however you personally define "relaxing." However, you go overboard (no pun intended) when you say it is petty and superficial for some of us to prefer the "dressing up" aspect of cruising. I can wear jeans, shorts, sweats, or whatever, any day of my life, so for me, dressing up and knowing that this is different from the daily grind is what made my recent cruise relaxing, romantic, and memorable.
As an example, from *time to time* I do enjoy a delightful and special evening out at a fancy restaurant that requires a particular level of dressing up. ("superficial?" well, maybe, but it's still quite special and enjoyable). I would be quite upset if other diners came in wearing shorts, jeans, or whatever, when the sign on the door clearly says "jacket and tie required", etc. And I would be even more upset if such diners complained about their need to relax, unwind, and wear whatever they wanted. There are plenty of restaurants that would accommodate their wishes.
It seems so plain and simple to me---most cruises have an element of dressing up that people in today's casual society long for. If I'm mistaken about most people enjoying the formality, I think that the cruiselines would have figured that out and changed their policies. If I am correct, and only a few don't enjoy the formality, (even on a couple of nights), the dress requirements are clearly spelled out, so everyone booking should know what to expect. It does bother me that people book a cruise and think they can ignore the policies put into place intended to make the cruise the special, dressy, fantasy away from real life, that many of us love.
I'm not a vastly experienced cruiser (once on HAL Maasdam), so can someone tell me: do any of the major cruiselines offer cruises for guests like Christine? Ones who truly prefer not to ever have to dress up? Or do they all have at least a couple of "formal nights" during the week? ("formal" is a big stretch for what we saw, BTW).
Old January 30th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Admiral

NCL has freestyle dining.

There are buffets and other restaurants to meet the needs of those who don't want to dress for dinner, but unfortunately for them, they sacrifice the quality and service of the dining room too. So if they want the same service and quality of the dining room they are out of place by dressing casually.

I think a balance can be struck. Have one dining room casual, and one dressy. Or one seating casual, one seating dressy. Just like they accomodate your preferred dining time, can't they also ask you for your preferred dining attire?

REgards,
Thomas
Old January 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Boy do I like *that* idea, Thomas!

dorothy

Carnival Elation
Carnival Elation March 11
Carnival Imagination Sept 07
Carniival Sensation Dec 06
RCI Sovereign of the Seas Sept 06
Carnival Miracle Sept 05
Carnival Glory Sept 04
Carnival Fantasy Jan 04
Old January 31st, 2004, 06:54 PM
HeySailor

NCL is all resort casual (no tanks, shorts, jeans or hats in the dining rooms after 5 p.m.), with an optional formal night in one main dining room. However, I have to disagree with Thomas that you always sacrifice quality when you eat outside the main dining room. On NCL, the specialty restaurants (some with surcharges and some without) are better than the main dining room. Of course, buffets are a different story--it seems they're never as good as fresh-cooked food, no matter which line you're on.

NCL manages to keep filling its ships despite horrendous customer service at headquarters and on their Web site (though service on the ships is great, IMO). That leads me to believe that a growing number of cruisers--including those of us who get more than enough opportunities to dress up in the real world--want this option. I'd never buck the dress code while on a ship that required me to suit up beyond resort casual; if it's their policy, I respect it. But I'm awfully glad NCL has freestyle dining, and can't wait for some other lines to emulate it.
Old February 2nd, 2004, 09:07 AM
Admiral

Yeah, heysailor, I was comparing to the buffet and not the specialty restaraunts. On the other lines you basically have a choice of the dining room or buffet and that's about it. So if one wants to go casual they must go to the buffet and sacrifice the quality and service of the dining room.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:37 AM
adam childs

I think that the cruise lines make these rules of dress because if they dont you will have my fat cousin mary Luo comming to dinner in "daisy dukes"
I think shorts should be fine on casual days --- but then again I do miss those days also where you could not walk from you room to the pool in your swim suit---

I think its about care for your personal appearence and what you feel comfortable in .

I myself prefer dockers and a camp shirt with deck shoes

I say to each your own ---- if thats the way you want to present yourself and you have the lack of pride in yourself to actually dress up for dinner then thats fine with me
Old March 7th, 2004, 07:03 PM
cruisinKandJ

On our next cruise is formal every evening with the exception of first and last nights. If you don't want to do that, you eat in your cabin.

On HAL, you are expected to be in keeping with whatever the dress requirement is for the entire evening.

Some cruise lines never require formalwear. Don't like to dress up? Look for one of these cruises.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if the cruise lines did away with formal nights all together for reasons as stated above. Not only would packing be much easier (especially for females), but I for one wouldn't have to feel so guilty about buying evening clothes that I don't need when not on a cruise.
Old March 10th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Frequent Cruiser

I was hoping that the subject line would lead to a discussion about "resort casual" and what that actually is. It is different from "casual." It refers to a relaxed yet stylish style of dressing which is upscale, not downtown.

Resort casual does not ever include T-shirts of any kind, though it can include a knit shirt which is collarless, similar to what Simon on "American Idol" wears, depending on fabric, or what Sharon Stone wore to the Oscars several years back. Collarless, but of fine fabric is OK. Polo shirts are good.

Take a look at brochures of very upscale lines, at the pictures of how the passengers are dressed on other than formal nights. You will see people wearing stylish and comfortable summer shoes, but not big thick running shoes. The man might be wearing a pastel long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up slightly. The woman in long casual pastel skirt or pants or sundress. No rubber flip flops.

People shouldn't wear shirts which expose their armpit hairs or hairy backs in any interior dining areas or public lounges, in my opinion, if to conform to the "resort casual" standard, either.

If you take a look at the cover of the Crystal Cruises Winter/Spring Panama Canal & Caribbean 2004 brochure, you'll see a perfect example of "resort casual."

Resorts are not Motel 6's. They are destinations.