Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:02 AM
musingpoet

Default Just back from Carnival Legend Cruise

well..........I can tell you the good news and the bad news.

Overall it was a great vacation.
DAY 1:

We took a Train to NYC and then a taxi from Penn Station to the Port. Our travel documents said Pier 88 so that's where we told the cab driver to take us. Of course we drove right by the Carnival LEGEND that was docked at Pier 92 (Our travel agent's mistake or.....because the ship was 3 hours late getting in?) Anyway, we had to haul our luggage down to the right Pier and went in and checked our luggage in that was bulky and carried our carry on stuff. Waited, waited and waited...finally we were told to get in a line and have our tickets/boarding passes out...waited, waited and waited. Went thru that check point to go to another LINE....this time for our Sail & Sign Card..one thing about this line is that you need to have all the paperwork (birth certificates, boarding passes & document booklet (from Travel Agent) along with a photo ID and credit card information (if you are using a credit card for your "deposit" for the Sail & Sign Card) for Each person who is going to share a cabin, don't just hand them all the paperwork for a family because you'll be 500 forevers getting these people to understand who is who and who is going in this cabin or that cabin and who can sign and charge things to the card, etc.) They are not very organized and be prepared for the computers to go down at any time causing another waiting, waiting and waiting).....ok, we leave there....this time for a Boarding Picture...(totally unnecessary)...then on to ANOTHER Line...waiting, waiting and waiting, finally around 1:45 we were moving at least toward the ship to another checkpoint to get your Face ID ....you stand on a little "feet" picture platform and smile into a lens (no matter how pretty you are it comes out like one of those door peep hole- fish eye pictures..not very attractive)..lol and this is what everyone sees when you get on and off the ship when you slide your Sail and Sign card in the slot.

Ok...we get onboard the ship finally.....and are herded to elevators...and finally get to our floor...Main Deck, deck 4. We head for the aft of the ship and right before our cabin..we are assulted with this horrible sewer smell.... I'm thinking...oh well, it will clear up when we get moving....NOT
Whatever the problem was it stayed like that for the entire cruise...totally nauseating smell in the hallway and only on that deck...believe me it was bad.

We (husband & I) had the private balcony suite (Cat.11) totally aft of the ship overlooking the wake of the ship...THAT was beautiful and well worth the extra money. The balcony was huge and we totally enjoyed watching the sunsets and sunrises (on some mornings) lol. Many great photo opportunities. The girls had the adjoining private balcony stateroom and it was very nice as well.

We didn't have our luggage delivered until around 7 so dinner that night was casual and they lifted the "no shorts" because of the luggage not arriving for many of the passengers until after the first seating for dinner.

Our Headwaiter and his asst. were wonderful right from the start. German & Herman, German was from Columbia and Herman was from India, they were very attentive and did an excellent job the entire cruise. Dinner was ok, portions were small but attractively presented and we were tired anyway so we didn't linger at the table after we ate we did a tour around the ship with the girls. The ship is loaded with bars and seems very "glitzy" at first but in the grand scheme of things it is what you pay for...something different and out of the ordinary to take you to a little bit of fantasy on your vacation. Once you get over seeing so many Urns around, it does blend in and become part of the overall charm of the ship. The Lobby is gorgeous and the glass elevators there are a unique part of the ship...going all the way up to Deck 10 you pass beautiful murals and an amazing skylight...quite breathtaking. The two restaurants Truffles Dining Room are on Deck 3 & 2 ..at the stern/aft of the ship. The Lido Deck (9) serves breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet style if you don't want to go to your scheduled seating for dinner in the main Truffles dining room. Pizza was 24/7 and so was the ice cream sundae bar. The girls took advantage of this.

Ok enough for day one. The tour of the ship gave the girls a real sense of direction and enough information to feel confident about getting around. The old folks went back to the cabin to unpack and get a shower and the girls were off to find some friends and to explore.

We never met our Cabin Steward until the next day Monday.

Will continue if anyone is interested.
Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2003, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Just back from Carnival Legend Cruise

I'd love you to continue, but I'm just wondering why this is in Cruise Gripes and not the Carnival folder. So far it doesn't sound like you're griping.

Carnival Spirit to Alaska
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:03 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Just back from Carnival Legend Cruise

Or even place this in the ship reviews. I enjoy reading the reviews but there is a place for them and that's where they should go.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 08:38 AM
musingpoet

Default Re: Re: Just back from Carnival Legend Cruise

sorry if you want me to put this somewhere else I will and you can delete it from here.

Since I had some gripes to begin with it just evolved and I put it here.

Sorry.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Just back from Carnival Legend Cruise

Don't apologize and no one is going to delete your post. I think what people are saying is to post the gripe part here and the general review either under Carnival or cruise reviews. You never have to apologize for anything you post in the gripes section, that's
what it is for.
Having just gotten off Legend myself only last month I'd love to hear the rest of your story.