Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Never ending reservations required

Am I the only passenger who does NOT want to reserve everything BEFORE I sail. ?

Crystals reservation policy is just too much, for Vintage room you must reserve thru TA before you sail, you must reserve alternative restaurants(2/3)) immediately you board, same for hair/facial appointments, must reserve "classes" (for at least 3 different types) immediately you get on board Your cruise days are all organised before you have even unpacked. This is not a vacation -its not choice of how to spend my days , its scheduling carried to the extreme. because the cruise line wants it that way.

I study the next days' events when I return to my cabin to sleep and decide which I will do. after all some events clash for time (you cannot know what is on at what time or day , weeks or months in advance - or even within hours of boarding). On the day itself who knows I may be having an interesting conversation with a new friend and decide to stay talking rather than go to a class.

I like assigned seating for dinner, but for the rest of the hours I spend on board I want to be free to choose .
Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Never ending reservations required

Evelyn:

I agree. I will go further...don't tell me what time to arrive at dinner and don't tell me who to eat with and don't tell me I have to eat with the same folks every night.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

F Scott Fitzgerald

Seven Seas Voyager (30nts) - Dubai - Cape Town - Nov 14
Old July 14th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Long Tall Sally

Default Re: Never ending reservations required

Uh, oh, I was afraid of that. --Am scheduled for my first cruise on Crystal Harmony SF/Alaska cruise. I am not a cruise-oriented person but this trip will allow my aged mother and I to travel together. I absolutely hate being booked and reserved into something every day. My question is if one simply wants a salad and a glass of wine for dinner, must one know what evening that would be days ahead of time or is there any wiggle room to decide such things. I have no interest in 'dressing' every evening or in eating a large dinner day after day. Are there any drop-in types cafes on this ship?
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Never ending reservations required

Yes there are other places to eat on Crystal, however you do have to reserve for at least three of them, on port days you should be able to eat at the Trident which is a casual dress area and no reservations but is only open on port days.

Dining room, the dress code varies each day, however most days you will not be too unhappy . On "formal" nights you could most likely blend in with wearing a "dressy outfit" you do not have to have the family diamonds and the designer dress.

My own jewels are strictly fakes, my dresses are all made from fabric I purchased at local store, just more dressy than my average clothers.

You will be able to choose whatever you like off the menu, if all you want is a salad, then order that. The only thing would be that the waiter is likely to serve the salad when he serves the salad in normal order. You are the one who is "in charge" of what you eat not the waiter.

During the day you can eat breakfast and lunch at the Lido or at the Bistro and both are open seating and casual dress, or you can do the same at the dining room, again I say you are the ones to decide what you want to eat not the staff.

My previous entry was concerning the ever mounting need to reserve for things like a class, to drink wine in the Vintage room, or eat in the alternative restaurants, which I feel imposes restrictions on my freedom to choose how to spend my day. The same for hair do or facials, I do not want to have to book these as soom as I board, ----and I object to standing in this line or that line at this time or that time before I have even unpacked .
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Long Tall Sally

Default Re: Re: Re: Never ending reservations required

To E.R. --Thank you for the information about the Crystal Harmony Alaska cruise.

I am now prepared when confronted with the reality of the the early reservation requirements for various activities.

I will bring my watch and a calendar.

Happy Trails --LTS