Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:57 PM
First Mate

Default West Coast Cruises

I live on the west coast (So. California). I wish one of the cruise lines would do, on a weekly or monthly basis, a 7 day round trip up the coast. Start off in San Pedro or San Diego. Go to San Francisco, spend over night then go to Monteray, Catalina and Ensenda. We were on a 6 night on the Grandeur about a year ago, same itinerary (except overnight in Frisco) as i just mentioned. It was great. It seems that every Pacific Coastal sells out early. Any one else want to see this on a regular basis, I'm getting tired of Mexico.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Default Re: West Coast Cruises

Try HAL's 3-day repositioning cruises between San Diego and Vancouver. They are inexpensive and uncrowded. The Pacific coastline is beautiful and unspoiled. You'd think the region was uninhabited! The only downside is that these are entirely at sea cruises - no landfall between the start and end points.
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:08 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: West Coast Cruises

I understand, been there, done that. What I mean is a round trip out of So. California, 7 days that does not require air for us down here in the lower part of the state. The 3,4,and 7 day cruises to Mexico (12 in all) are getting mighty old.
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Hey Cruise Guy, your only options may be to go north or west. Especially if going south is all tired out. {{over cruised}}

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:36 PM
Admiral

The Celebrity Mercury does 7 night coastals out of SFO. This is when she is not in Alaska. The ports change but often include Monterey, Santa Barbara, Catalina, Cabo San Lucas, etc.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Yeoman

Chuck, your right. What I'm talking about is a NEW itinerary round trip to the north from either L.A. (San Pedro) or San Diego on a regular basis. If one lives in So. California, you either have to fly or make a long long drive to San Francisco.
Old July 23rd, 2003, 02:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

It doesn't go North, but HAL does a 7 day cruise round trip San Diego to the Sea of Cortez. l did it last year in May. We stopped in La Paz, a small little town that I can't remember the name of, and Cabo. Not the usual cruise ship stops.

I've also sailed up to San Francisco several years ago at teh end of a Panama Canal cruise and as soon as we rounded the point at the end of Baja it was too cold out side to enjoy the pool or sit in the sun without being bundled up.
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:40 AM
St. Barbara

<<The Celebrity Mercury does 7 night coastals out of SFO. This is when she is not in Alaska. The ports change but often include Monterey, Santa Barbara, Catalina, Cabo San Lucas, etc.>>

Name one time when Celebrity Cruises has not only planned, enticed and sold an itinerary to Santa Barbara, but actually anchored there. Has anyone actually sailed there via THAT cruise line?
Old September 14th, 2003, 12:53 PM
inky

Here would be a few great West Coast cruise alternatives:

BEST OF CALIFORNIA 7 DAY CRUISE:

Day 1) Depart San Diego

Day 2) Catalina

Day 3) Monterey (tours include San Simeon and Big Sur)

Day 4) Eureka (tours include Redwood Nat'l Park and Avenue of the Giants)

Day 5) San Francisco (tours include Napa Valley and Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore)

Day 6) Santa Barbara (tours include Solvang)

Day 7) Long Beach (tours include Hollywood and Disneyland)

Day 8) Return to San Diego

WEST COAST HIGHLIGHTS CRUISE:

Day 1) Depart San Diego

Day 2) San Francisco

Day 3) At Sea

Day 4) Astoria (port for Portland)

Day 5) Seattle

Day 6) At Sea

Day 7) At Sea

Day 8) Return to San Diego
Old September 14th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Admiral

The problem with that intinary and what some others are wanting is that it is ILLEGAL! Blame it on the Passenger Sercives act which states that unless the ship is BUILT and REGISTERED and STAFFED by United States of America then it must visit a 'distant foreign port'. I would love to see this Act recinded but the Unions are still welding enough power to prevent it it seems.
Jim

Old September 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM
bigboy

Default Re: Re: Re: West Coast Cruises

The unions have nothing to do with it. Pure economics. American ships=American wages AND American labor laws, working conditions, health and safety laws. I have no problem with American working conditions becoming the norm on cruise ships. Off course then a 7 day cruise would cost about $3000 for an inside cabin.
Old September 14th, 2003, 08:23 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: West Coast Cruises

Yes, Jim's right. This silly, arcane law makes your itineraries illegal.

Here's just how silly it is: Last year we were sailing from Ensenada to Hawaii. We spent a couple days in San Diego first, and on sailing day we went to the airport to meet relatives who would be sailing with us, and to catch the shuttle to Ensenada. As we drove to the airport to drop off the rental car, we saw our ship leaving San Diego harbor and heading for Ensenada to pick us up. It had disgorged in San Diego (apparently having made its distant foreign stop earlier in that cruise), and was forced to schlep down the road to pick us up, and Celebrity had to arrange for enough busses to carry a shipload of people down there in order to execute this ludicrous fire drill.

AR
Old September 15th, 2003, 10:42 AM
Admiral

i'm a bit confused here about that maritime law. How is that some cruise lines are now doing all Hawaii itineraries? last time i checked Hawaii was part of the US.
I like the idea but it most likely comes down to demand, what the market will bear, is there enough demand to add this type of cruise??
Old September 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I love Inky's suggested West Coast cruises -- throw in a day in Ensenada and we should be all legal.

An alteranate too is the La Paz, Sea of Cortez cruise -- very pleasant cruise.

Harry
Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:43 PM
Yeoman

Harry, thanks. you are the 1st person to actually know what I was talking about. A west coast cruise, roundtrip out of So. Cal. going northbound then one Mexican port to satisfy the law. Good man!!!!
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:49 PM
First Mate

Celebrity offers five round trip cruises out of San Francisco between September 28th and November 5th, stopping at Monterey, Catalina Island and one or more Mexican ports. After that it's all round trip cruises from San Diego to the Mexican Riviera. Silversea includes Santa Barbara and San Diego in the same SFO-SFO itinerary. It looks like your stuck with starting up north for the California coast, however.

MV Discovery, South Pacific Total Eclipse Cruise
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin

I think the cruise lines are missing an untapped market with not offering a coastal cruise from LA or San Diego -- I know a lot of California/Arizona people would love it. It could be a good one for the ships moving to Alaska for a couple weeks prior instead of the Mexican Riviera.

And thanks for the compliment Cruiseguy.

:-)

Harry
Old September 24th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Admiral

What does it take to become a sovereign nation anyway? Could a remote island off the Pacific coast be bought by the cruiselines, as they do in the Bahamas, and establish it as a foreign port for the purpose of satisfying the Jones Act?

Regards,
Thomas
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The main problem with the PVSA (passenger vessel services act) often erroneously refered to as the Jones act (which is a different act affecting crew-people) is that it forbids any foreign vessel from transporting passengers between two US ports. That is why you have to do round-trip or else embark or disembark in a foreign port.

There is a rule that allows you visit more than one domestic port on a cruise but oly during repo cruises. Otherwise it just isn't allowed.

I don't know if a cruise line could embark passengers in Ensenada and go up the coast to Vancouver and back - but that would make a great cruise as far as I am concerned.

Ensenada
San Diego
Catalina
San Franciso
Vancouver
Day at sea
Day at Sea
Ensenada

Or alternating

Ensenada
San Diego
Catalina
Los Angeles
Day at Sea
San Francisco
Day at Sea
Vancouver

with

Vancouver
Seattle
Portland
San Francisco
Day at Sea
Santa Barbara
San Diego
Ensenada

I would sail this itinerary very happily. Even back to back.