Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Travel Gripes!
Register Forgot Password?

Travel Gripes! Gripe about cruises or getting to one.(airlines, taxis)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to DanaB
Default Table Talk

Since my April cruise, I have been dying to post this. My sister and I were seated at a table for six with two very nice "mature" couples. One of our tablemates brought up "squat toilets" that she and her husband endured when traveling in the orient. AT DINNER! Yes, SO very appetizing. Then at breakfast one morning our random tablemates were talking (graphically) about the slaughtering of geese that had occurred on and near their property where they live. Yes, MORE appetizing conversation. Maybe it was just me (okay, I know it wasn't, because my sister was disgusted too), but is it THAT hard to come up with pleasnt things to talk about at the table, like how you are enjoying your cruise, what you have done that is fun, complimenting the crew, the food? Am I being unrealistic? Yes, one can always attempt to sway the conversation to more pleasant topics, but wow, I would NEVER have thought to bring up such topics at the dining room table.

Dana

Sovereign of the Seas - 12/22/02
Sovereign of the Seas - 04/27/03
Sovereign of the Seas - 09/04/03 *and* 09/07/03
Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Table Talk

Hi Dana,
Nope, has never happened to us, may-be at home, but never on a cruise with people you just met :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

Usually just the "normal small talk". Never had a really unpleasant table topic..('cept, of course..How much did you pay, yadda, yadda, ??)
You're really into the SOS,aint'cha?? hmmmm . ;-)
SSaFWs..ED
Old August 8th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I experienced a 'Get me outa here' conversation once.

We were 8 people gathered for pre-dinner drinks when one person brought up the subject of 'What's the best way to kill a lobster?'. One of the guests - an elderly lady - was clearly going green at the thought. Then as this was noticed, people 'clammed up', at which point there was a pregnant silence as everybody fought (you could see the cogs whirring) to bring up a new subject. Too late - the lobster was back 'on topic' and shortly afterwards the party broke up.

Now, I'm going to have make sure I have a 'life belt' with me for those occasions that the conversation goes wrong.

Pete :o)
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Admiral

that is definatley not appropriate dinner "talk" Perhaps the correct response might be" your story is facinating,i'd love to hear all about it after dinner, but not to offend, that's kind of graphic and people are trying to eat"
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Admiral

This upcoming cruise, I plan on keeping table talk light...probably just talk about my colon exam and VAS surgery. <G>

Old August 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Maybe I'll just bring up all my dental work. {{wink}} Just kidding.

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 8th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Admiral

Mark, maybe you could just purposefully sneeze and spit out your bridge on the table.?

Ya' think?

Regards,
Thomas
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Thomas!! Tsk tsk! I was sitting here eating my lunch while reading this topic. Bad enough with the squat jumps and the most unfortunate crustaceans, but Mark's dentures?!? Please!
<<wink>> Have a nice afternoon.

Jack

Cruise #25, Monarch OTS 11/28/2011, Bahamas
Old August 10th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Admiral

Thomas, the bridge is cemented in, but I could probably get my partial upper to come out on the table. lol

Brilliance, 2/14/05
Brilliance, 2/13/06
Brilliance, 2/12/07
Explorer, 2/3/08
Jewel, 2/9/09
Jewel, 2/1/10, RCI cancelled our cruise, (insert sound of sobbing)

Old August 13th, 2003, 01:49 PM
First Mate

on our last cruise this one guy at our table (married w/kids about 35) informed us everynight about his constipation, and when he was finally able to "relieve" himself. He thought he was being funny,,,,,,,,,,I thought he was a low life!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old August 13th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Mikey Sr.

When traveling on the Explorer of the Seas last year my wife and I were seated with a rather loud couple from Long Island N.Y. who had to let everyone know they had a large house and plenty of money. My wife and I are pretty private and don't talk much about our business. It did not take long for them to figure out that there would be little talk between us and changed tables. I always believe one should not talk about certin topics with stranger so you don't hurt or affend someone. Politics and money are the top two, but I think some people just don't get it.
Old September 4th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Passenger

This wasn't at the dinner table, but in my opinion, just as bad!!!

A couple years ago I was on the Explorer with my husband, sister, and parents. While we were waiting to get off the ship that last morning, my mom asked a lady sitting by herself if she minded if my mom sat in the chair next to her. The lady said - and I quote "Oh, that would be fine. My husband was sitting there but he won't be back for a while - he has diarhea!!"

Needless to say, my mom sat somewhere else!!!!!!!!!
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Table Talk

ROTFLMAO!!!!!...

Old October 8th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Please excuse my ignorance but what does
"ROTFLMAO"
mean???!!!
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Loved the comments here!

I learned growing up that there are a few things you donīt talk about at the dinner table with company: politics, religion, sex, your lack/abundance of wealth and health issues. Avoiding those themes makes for a pleasant (sometimes very boring ) dinner.

The art of small talk isnīt easy. Thereīs also nothing worse than sitting at a table and everyone having absolutely nothing to say!

karen
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Rolling on the floor laughing my ass off.

Regards,
Thomas
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:30 PM
p.g.

I'm pretty easy going so none of the above posts would have really bothered me too much, I would only object to racist or small minded remarks about other people. The bathroom stuff I 'd probaly laugh and say cut that out its's too gross, the lobster comment ,well we go crabiing so we'd get right into that one, the money and riches one, we'd laugh at them behind their backs and think they were amusing, Cruising is about meeting all sorts and to us it's part of the fun!! Think of it like an anthropology experiment! ( by the way , I would have sat down in that chair!! )
Old October 8th, 2003, 05:20 PM
rigs32

Our first cruise was for our honeymoon. Our tablemates were all on their honeymoon, too. We spent the first two nights talking about the weddings, then started to get to know one another. It was definately an exercise in assuming too much.

One couple was from Iowa and very conservative. They assumed that DH and I would agree with their heterosexist attitudes, which we very much are not.

When we ran into another couple in port, the wife made some anti-Semetic comments regarding the salespeople on the island. Little did she know that she was talking to a Jew.

Sigh. I've just got one of those non-threatening faces. People always ask me for directions. Even while on vacation in Toronto or NYC, people ask me where to go. Strangers always assume I agree with them on issues and share their attitudes.
Old October 9th, 2003, 04:21 PM
p.g.

What's a "heterosexist attidtude" ? Gosh I couldn't even spell that without going back to check! lol
As to people making racist or bigoted comments your silence is not a good idea, remember "all it takes for evils to flourish is for good men to to nothing" It someone says something racist etc, in front of me I'd let them know that I don't agree, it's not picking a fight it's standing up for what is right.
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Kar06

heterosexist = homophobic, I believe.
Old October 14th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Passenger

On our last HAL cruise at a table for 10, one gentleman asked to be excused from the table and said would we mind if he went out and smoked.He was promptly met with a reply from another gentlemen "would you mind if i went out and passed wind".The other guests did not know where to turn, some were embarrassed ,and some left immediately with laughter.A strange experince indeed.
There is no doubt that cruising brings about all sorts of experiences from all sorts of people.
Old October 14th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Mikey Sr.

Lets face it. The art of converation is truly dead.
Old October 14th, 2003, 07:25 PM
november

Passing wind is always a good topic, everyone does it!
Old October 14th, 2003, 11:48 PM
ESS

I would rather that person pass time than pass wind